Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1438337 - 09/02/10 05:41 PM Strategic Planning
DogLover Offline
100 Club
DogLover
Sunny Florida
Executive management has asked the auditor to sit in on their strategic planning session. Any words of wisdom?

Return to Top
Audit
#1438473 - 09/02/10 07:08 PM Re: Strategic Planning DogLover
Black & Gold Offline
Black & Gold
Dark Side of the Moon
Congratulations on the invitation; I'm envious. A few thoughts come to mind for preparation for and during the meeting:

• Take a look at the IIA Standards, particularly related to Internal Audit’s responsibilities around Governance (Section 2110).
• Review COSO’s ERM Framework (cube) and the IIA Position Paper “The Role of Internal Auditing in Enterprise-Wide Risk Management.” Ask questions of management to determine whether they are thinking about how they plan to achieve their objectives and what events/obstacles/risks would prevent them from achieving. What is management’s risk appetite and does it align with their strategy? Do alternatives exist if set strategies are unreasonable or unreachable?
• If you have time, also review the South Africa King III report, or at least the article in the February 2010 Internal Auditor magazine about King III.
• Listen, listen, listen. Ask questions. Take notes. Internal Audit is responsible for establishing a risk-based Internal Audit Plan and what better place to begin than understanding management’s strategy for the organization and the highest risks that would prevent achievement.

I hope this was of some help. Good luck to you! I would be very interested to hear how your meeting goes.

Return to Top
#1438567 - 09/02/10 08:11 PM Re: Strategic Planning Black & Gold
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Excellent advice.

Also, bring cookies! Then they'll invite you to the next meeting. grin

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z