Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1432685 - 08/23/10 03:36 PM Notice mortgage loan sold or transferred
2old2care Offline
Platinum Poster
PA

It seems we updated these disclous not too long ago. Does anyone know if something new has been added?

Federal Reserve Board Announces Final Rules Implementing New Disclosure Requirement Under the Truth in Lending Act. On August 16, the Federal Reserve Board (Board) announced final rules implementing a new disclosure requirement under a statutory amendment to the Truth in Lending Act (TILA). The new rules require that consumers receive notice when their mortgage loan has been sold or transferred. The requirement became effective in May 2009, upon enactment of the Helping Families Save Their Homes Act. Pursuant to that Act, a purchaser or assignee that acquires a mortgage loan to provide the required disclosures in writing within 30 days. The Board had previously published interim rules in November 2009, which were effective immediately, in order to provide compliance guidance to parties covered under the amendment. Covered parties may continue to follow the interim rules until January 1, 2011, the mandatory compliance date for the final rules. The Board also had provided an online publication for consumers titled, "What You Need to Know: New Rules for Mortgage Transfers," which explains what consumers can expect from their mortgage lenders regarding the new disclosure requirement. For a copy of the press release, please see http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/press/bcreg/20100816c.htm.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/press/bcreg/bcreg20100816c1.pdf

Consumers can learn more about mortgage transfer disclosures by accessing a new online publication, "What You Need to Know: New Rules for Mortgage Transfers." It explains what consumers can expect from their mortgage lenders regarding notification of mortgage transfers.
Attachment (148 KB PDF)

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1433192 - 08/24/10 02:13 PM Re: Notice mortgage loan sold or transferred 2old2care
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Looks to be a whole new disclosure requirement. Not the servicing but when selling the ownership.

Return to Top
#1433228 - 08/24/10 02:39 PM Re: Notice mortgage loan sold or transferred Mrs. Rizzo
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Talking off the top of my head....doesn't this stem from "servicing rights" being sold from entity to entity and so the homeowner always knows where to mail the payment (RESPA transfer of servicing notice). But there is not a similar rule for keeping the homeowner informed with respect to who owns the loan itself.

Am I on the right track?

Return to Top
#1433245 - 08/24/10 02:58 PM Re: Notice mortgage loan sold or transferred swiggles
2old2care Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
I think you nailed it. It seems homeowners did not know how to locate the lender when falling behind on payments, escrows and possible Sheriff Sale.

Return to Top
#1438514 - 09/02/10 07:34 PM Re: Notice mortgage loan sold or transferred 2old2care
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Is there model language for this? Or can a quick "ABC Bank bought your loan, contact us at ...." in one paragraph suffice? (of course including all the required disclosures, identification of loan, etc, would be included)

Return to Top
#1438545 - 09/02/10 07:54 PM Re: Notice mortgage loan sold or transferred 2old2care
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: 2old2care

It seems we updated these disclous not too long ago. Does anyone know if something new has been added?

Federal Reserve Board Announces Final Rules Implementing New Disclosure Requirement Under the Truth in Lending Act. On August 16, the Federal Reserve Board (Board) announced final rules implementing a new disclosure requirement under a statutory amendment to the Truth in Lending Act (TILA). The new rules require that consumers receive notice when their mortgage loan has been sold or transferred. The requirement became effective in May 2009, upon enactment of the Helping Families Save Their Homes Act. Pursuant to that Act, a purchaser or assignee that acquires a mortgage loan to provide the required disclosures in writing within 30 days. The Board had previously published interim rules in November 2009, which were effective immediately, in order to provide compliance guidance to parties covered under the amendment. Covered parties may continue to follow the interim rules until January 1, 2011, the mandatory compliance date for the final rules. The Board also had provided an online publication for consumers titled, "What You Need to Know: New Rules for Mortgage Transfers," which explains what consumers can expect from their mortgage lenders regarding the new disclosure requirement. For a copy of the press release, please see http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/press/bcreg/20100816c.htm.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/press/bcreg/bcreg20100816c1.pdf

Consumers can learn more about mortgage transfer disclosures by accessing a new online publication, "What You Need to Know: New Rules for Mortgage Transfers." It explains what consumers can expect from their mortgage lenders regarding notification of mortgage transfers.
Attachment (148 KB PDF)

I really didn't find much different in the final rules. It only required a couple of tweaks to our current notice.

Return to Top
#1438911 - 09/03/10 03:13 PM Re: Notice mortgage loan sold or transferred Dani York, CRCM
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Originally Posted By: Dani York
Is there model language for this? Or can a quick "ABC Bank bought your loan, contact us at ...." in one paragraph suffice? (of course including all the required disclosures, identification of loan, etc, would be included)

Dani, I don't think there is model language. You just need to make sure the content requirements in 226.39(d) are met.

Return to Top
#1441380 - 09/10/10 04:29 PM Re: Notice mortgage loan sold or transferred Deena
Still Smiling Offline
Platinum Poster
Is this notice different from the notice required under RESPA?

Return to Top
#1441391 - 09/10/10 04:41 PM Re: Notice mortgage loan sold or transferred Still Smiling
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Yes. This one is required by Reg Z when the loan (not just the servicing) is sold or transferred. See 226.39

Return to Top
#1441407 - 09/10/10 04:50 PM Re: Notice mortgage loan sold or transferred Deena
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
Whomever is the new covered person (owner of the loan) is required to send this notice within 30 days, with a few exceptions. I was hoping RESPA and Reg Z could mesh their individual notices into one, but it doesn't look that way.

Return to Top
#1441425 - 09/10/10 05:14 PM Re: Notice mortgage loan sold or transferred NotDoneYet
Still Smiling Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks everyone. It looks to me like the information required under this notice is really what would normally be sent in a welcome letter.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z