Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1440765 - 09/09/10 04:13 PM change in product and incentive
QueenBB Offline
100 Club
TX
We are changing a particular checking product and will start charging a fee for not having estatements. We would like to offer a $5 gift card as an incentive for accountholders to sign up for estatements on this account before the change becomes effective.

Is it permissible to offer the incentive on our website, in the lobby, and at new accounts desk for this one product only? Must you send the offer to all owners of that type of product? Must you extend the offer to all customers not matter what type of checking account they have?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1441200 - 09/10/10 01:17 PM Re: change in product and incentive QueenBB
QueenBB Offline
100 Club
TX
I know this is a weird question, but can someone help??? I need an answer quickly.

Return to Top
#1441558 - 09/10/10 07:13 PM Re: change in product and incentive QueenBB
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Your difficulty in finding respondents may be in that you are looking for laws or regulations to direct your actions when none exist for most of them. Just some observations:

* "Charging a fee for not having e statements" might be a bit easier to understand if you changed it to charging a fee for receiving a paper statement. That has become commonplace; i.e. if customers want a paper statement, they pay for it. If this is a new fee not mentioned in the customer's TISA disclosure at account inception then you would give 30 days advance notice to all affected account holders.

* You may offer incentives on some account types but not others as you see fit.

* You may discriminate and not send all owners of the account type notice of the incentive, but it's difficult to imagine why...

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett