Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#144560 - 12/31/03 04:12 PM Graduate School
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I just received a late Christmas present from my mom....she told me that if I wanted to go to graduate school, that she would help start me off (the bank has a tuition reimbursement program, but you still have to start out paying before you are repaid).
So now I'm starting my journey to get my Masters. I have a school in mind, they have a pretty good program and are right around the corner.
I just have a few questions....
Has anyone else worked full-time and gone to school part-time? What should I expect?
I have not yet taken the GMAT, which I am also starting to look into. Again, what should I expect?

Any tips or suggestions? I don't know many people that have received their Masters, let alone gone to graduate school.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#144561 - 12/31/03 04:24 PM Re: Graduate School
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
I've done it, and it's not easy. In fact, one semester I worked full time and took a 19-hour courseload. I almost lost my mind! All I can say is, better you than me!

Return to Top
#144562 - 12/31/03 04:25 PM Re: Graduate School
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
My mother did that, it was tough on the family at the time, but she did it! And so can you! Good luck.

Return to Top
#144563 - 12/31/03 04:47 PM Re: Graduate School
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
I got my masters in public policy while working at compliance full time. It took me five years. For me the trick was not to take two two-course semesters back-to-back. And I basically took a full year to recover after I was done! But it was definitely worth it. Good luck!

Return to Top
#144564 - 12/31/03 04:59 PM Re: Graduate School
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Good for you Analyze...I once attempted that juggling act. But, I was working full time, had a 12 hour course load, and I had a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old at home! That I would not recommend....

Return to Top
#144565 - 12/31/03 05:01 PM Re: Graduate School
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Oh, I did this for years while earning my Bachelors. My only advice is once you start you can't stop until your done. I know so many people who were in our position and decided to take the summer off or a random semester off to "rest" and they never went back.

Once you develop the routine, it becomes natural again. I use to go out to my car and sleep at lunchtime because I was so worn out, but it was worth it. Good luck!

Return to Top
#144566 - 12/31/03 05:01 PM Re: Graduate School
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
I just finished mine about 2 weeks ago. It's a great feeling. Expect to learn how to budget your time better. Get a calendar and keep close track of your time or you will be writing that 25 page paper the night before it is due. Find someone to proof your papers. They are very strict about the way your papers look. Depending on how long you have been out of school expect a little learning curve on getting back into the swing of school again. That was the hardest part for me. Took about a month. But enjoy your classes. You will learn a lot and will make good friends and contacts. Keep in close communication with those contacts because they may shape your career more than your MBA.

Good Luck and have fun.

Also, when you're done go through the graduation ceremony. I'm going to mine but unfortunately it isn't until May.

Return to Top
#144567 - 12/31/03 05:51 PM Re: Graduate School
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
We have a young lady who is working full-time and and taking at least 4 masters level courses a semseter. Flexiblity with her manager has been key.

Return to Top
#144568 - 12/31/03 05:59 PM Re: Graduate School
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
I did both my undergraduate and graduate programs full time while working full time. During the graduate work I was also married with two (then three) small kids. My attitude going into the graduate program was that at the end of two years I would be done. Whereas if I didn't do it, I would just be two years older.

I agree with the others and would add a couple of things.

For the GMAT – take it quick! It takes time to register for it, take it, and then submit the results with your graduate application. Find out all the admission requirements for the school(s) you are looking at.

DEFINITELY network with your classmates and professors.

While you mentioned tuition assistance, be very careful if you also decide to take out "graduate" student loans. These add up really fast. The adage from law school definitely applies - If you live like a lawyer while you're a student, you'll live like a student while you're a lawyer.

Good luck!

Return to Top
#144569 - 12/31/03 06:06 PM Re: Graduate School
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I was single when I got my advanced degrees. If you can, stay single while you are doing this. Family matters will weigh you down and jeopardize completion. The entrance exam is no worse than the SAT, at least that was the case back in the early 70's.

Return to Top
#144570 - 12/31/03 06:06 PM Re: Graduate School
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
Beleive it or not, I've spent every year since my 17th birthday resentful of the fact that I didn't get to go to college. So now, after 33 more birthdays, I've decided to start. I've completed one semester and have a whopping three credits and a 4.0. Next semester I'm taking 6 credits. I'm in a college program designed for adults. You have to be 25 or older and the classes are worth 3 and 6 credits each. You have to take specific classes (offered days, nights, Saturdays and Sundays -- whenever you can fit them in)and once they are completed (for 38 credits total) you are evaluated for life-experience credits for up to 34 more. Then you declare a major and start taking regular classes. I know quite of few people who have gotten their degrees this way. My good friend was a police officer and got his bachelors and masters while on the job. He also did most of his doctorate work while still on the job. So I know it is possible but really really hard (a good wife or partner helps). Good luck

Return to Top
#144571 - 12/31/03 06:07 PM Re: Graduate School
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
My husband is 2 classes shy of his masters and does it while working full-time and we have a 14-month old. I did want to comment on the GMAT's, a few schools in our area no longer require them if you've got work experience,etc. You may want to check with the schools you're interested in to see if this requirement could be waived, that would only help.

Return to Top
#144572 - 12/31/03 06:09 PM Re: Graduate School
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Ellen, that's great! Congrats. I too am kicking myself for never finishing but now that I have a baby and work full-time, it's most likely not going to happen. My advice to all is do in now and get it done.

Return to Top
#144573 - 12/31/03 06:14 PM Re: Graduate School
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Analyze--I am taking 6 hours in addition to working AT LEAST full-time and the only thing bogging me down is personal life. It's not that hard as long as you don't overextend yourself. You'll know better than anyone here what YOU can handle. 6 credits is all I will allow myself to take knowing my personal obligations and allowing one night a week for my beloved pool league (another distraction). You'll do fine and do it while you're young. At age 32, I feel I'm already way behind the curve. GOOD LUCK!!

Return to Top
#144574 - 12/31/03 06:27 PM Re: Graduate School
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I'm already looking to take the GMAT around Feb/Mar, and then hopefully register for the summer sessions. I want to move fast, cause if I procrastinate I will never end up going. I've been out of college for two years this coming May (wow, how time flies!!!), and I've been tutoring those people around the bank that are still taking classes, so the "school mode" is not a foreign thing to me.

As for the staying single part.....we'll that's another thread.

Return to Top
#144575 - 12/31/03 06:36 PM Re: Graduate School
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did it when I was single - went to Loyola at night, worked by day. Took two classes at a time. It was tough, but I was young, single, living at home, and could party all night, study when I wanted, and make a few bucks too!

Return to Top
#144576 - 12/31/03 06:42 PM Re: Graduate School
Anonymous
Unregistered

Analyze, what is your undgrad degree in? What do you plan to get your masters in? Will this help in your career?

Return to Top
#144577 - 12/31/03 07:06 PM Re: Graduate School
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
The most important things are your determination and concurrence of your manager. While the bank has a policy, you still need your manager on your side to provide flexability to make sure you can leave on time, and other types of general support. While most are extremely supportive, on occation you'll find one who thinks you're trying to get the degree to take their position.

Good Luck!!

Return to Top
#144578 - 12/31/03 07:11 PM Re: Graduate School
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Analyze This--If you do not naturally tend toward being a workaholic, you will have a very tough go of it. If you are the type person who feels that there must be something better to do than sit in a cubicle studying, you will have a tough go of it. I have not read the entire thread. Why do you want to go to graduate school? What is your underlying motivation--other than financial help from your family? Do you want to accelerate your current career path or do you see another career path you are interested in pursuing? (If it is a different career path, be careful of the grass is greener syndrome. If this is your plan, you should probably go work in that field for a year or so before going to graduate school.)

I am not trying to dissuade you, but sometimes more education is not best use of your time and money. On the other hand, sometimes it is!

Return to Top
#144579 - 12/31/03 07:18 PM Re: Graduate School
RandomName Offline
Diamond Poster
Austin, TX
I got both my undergraduate degree and my (thus-far-worthless) MBA while working. Of course, I'm single, so I had no family obligations. (Oops, just remembered that I was unemployed when I wrapped up the MBA, so I had the chance to take a more intense course load at the end.)

Anyway, it was pretty easy, actually. Admittedly, I wasn't going to the Wharton School of Business or any place super-tough like that. And I was only taking two classes per semester, plus going in the summer.

My primary lessons:

1) If you know the class will have a group project, don't sit in the back. Because then you'll end up working with the kind of people that like to sit in the back.

2) When in doubt, ask questions about just EXACTLY what the prof wants to see in an assignment, rather than being all, "Eh, I think I got it figgered out."

3) Don't let people on team projects drag you down. Take total control if you have to.

4) Do the homework even if it's not mandatory.

5) Make friends. Cultivate contacts. Develop relationships.

As for the GMAT, I'd pick up one of those study guides at the bookstore and power through a bunch of samples. It really helped me, especially in brushing up on the math.

Return to Top
#144580 - 12/31/03 07:21 PM Re: Graduate School
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am going to agree with Z - The only reason I went and got my MBA was because I wanted to delay the real world, I was fortunate to have folks who were willing to pay, and at the time, an MBA was supposed to guarantee me that dream job. My MBA has done nothing for me that I couldn't have achieved without it. To do it over again, I would make sure I knew exactly what field i wanted to be in (banking is still not it) and then gone back and taken courses slowly. Since i went to classes at night, almost everyone in my classes were already in the work force. They got more out of it because they could use what they were learning in a real world situation. I was working a podunk job, so it didn;t help me.

Return to Top
#144581 - 12/31/03 07:53 PM Re: Graduate School
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Quote:

Analyze, what is your undgrad degree in? What do you plan to get your masters in? Will this help in your career?

I received my bachelor's in Economics from University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign - GO ILLINI!!!....sorry, habit).
I'm looking to attend Governors State University. I was looking to get my specialization in Management Accounting and Technology.
Right now I work as a credit analyst, and I really like working with numbers and people. I know it sounds strange, but I like the whole "strategy" of business structuring. I do like banking, and really like commercial lending.
I do want this to further (or even accelerate) my career, and I hope to use everything (or most stuff) I learn. I'm not trying to put-off the real world for a bit, and I'm not looking as "the grass is greener" (since I'm staying in the same field).
I am very much a workaholic. To sound even stranger, my favorite week while still in college was finals week. Something about all the studying (more than normal), and everyone studying, that I really liked. So basically all the school work does not scare me.

Return to Top
#144582 - 12/31/03 08:01 PM Re: Graduate School
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
I totally understand you Analyze, I do my best work under pressure!

Return to Top
#144583 - 12/31/03 08:03 PM Re: Graduate School
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Analyze, it sounds like going to school will be a really good move for you. I enjoyed my grad school alot more than undergrad precisely because I had a "real world" job to apply the concepts to, and so did most of the other students in the class - it seemed much more relevent than anything I studied with a class of 18 - 22 year olds who didn't know anything even if they were really academically smart. I found my work and school enhanced each other and also felt myself sharpening useful skills (like writing). Because of that, it was easy to keep the motivation to spend free time studying, etc.

Return to Top
#144584 - 12/31/03 08:50 PM Re: Graduate School
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
In my best Yoda voice:

You have passed the test young Luke. Based on your answers, I would say that grad school will fit you to a tee. Because you are working at the same time, you will not be falling behind in promotions and pay while attending. Soon you too will be a Jedi-banker. May the force be with you!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2