Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1448052 - 09/24/10 04:27 PM HSAs
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Okay, I really haven't been paying attention if any new regs have come out concerning HSAs because we don't offer them. However, I've been invited to a meeting to discuss offering HSAs. Anyone have a checklist of things to consider or have any links to regulations governing said creatures? Thanks in advance.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1448163 - 09/24/10 05:57 PM Re: HSAs waldensouth
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"Anyone have a checklist of things to consider"

First thing on the list is a profit and loss analysis - everything comes next.

They are losers unless you have a plan to gather a lot of them and charge appropriately- the adminstration costs alone far outstrip any other type of deposit product.

To consider:

Contract management
IRS reporting
Customer service issues
split year deposits
training, training, and more training
to name a few

Return to Top
#1448663 - 09/27/10 04:43 PM Re: HSAs rlcarey
80's Lady Offline
Gold Star
I agree with Randy. And also, be prepared with how you will deal with overdrafts - because even though they are not suppose to be able to overdraw, because most HSA's come with a Debit Card, it will happen. It is my understanding that the account can no longer be considered an HSA and IRS Reporting Rules will have to be followed.

Return to Top
#1455553 - 10/15/10 12:22 AM Re: HSAs 80's Lady
el guapo Offline
Gold Star
el guapo
If you are located in California you may want to check if the state has conformed with the federal regulations that allow for HSA contribution tax benefits. Since we don't offer HSAs I'm curious to know if other FIs that do offer them in California issue both a 5498 for federal reporting and a 1099-INT for state reporting.

Return to Top
#1455681 - 10/15/10 02:57 PM Re: HSAs el guapo
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
The OCC has some guidance in any new adventure - http://www.occ.treas.gov/ftp/bulletin/2004-20.doc

Risk Management of New, Expanded, or Modified Bank Products and Services

It actually makes sense.

Return to Top