Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#144868 - 01/04/04 07:38 AM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I was talking to my daughter about some of her friends from Elementary school, and if she still stays in contact with some of them. My daughter went to a private Presbyterian school for grades 1-5. I remember a friend she had whose parents were very strict and (overly) protective.

I can understand wanting to meet with the parents before having your daughter spend the night at a friends house, but these folks had to meet the parents on several occasions, and then come to the house and look around (I guess to make sure we didn't have something offensive lying around? Or perhaps to see if they approved of our interior decorating?). The girl and her sister were not allowed to listen to radio, nor could they watch TV unless it was Disney (and the parents had to be in the room with them). The parents strictly controlled what they wore, what they listened to, who they could talk to, and so on.

At any rate, I asked my daughter if she had heard from "Lisa." My daughter replied "Oh yeah, Lisa and her sister went totally "Goth" and have a wild reputation." (My daughter is very dismayed that another old friend of hers also went Goth*.)

So, I guess there is something to be said in all that.

*(Goth = Gothic dress, make-up, and mannerisms. Thick black mascara, black lipstick, black nailpolish, collars with studs, jewelry that combines crosses with pentagrams and ankhs, heavy on the vampire look. Think of kids who want nothing more than to look like a cross between Marilyn Manson and Jack Skellington from Nightmare Before Christmas. Kink of like Punks, only much more depressed.)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#144869 - 01/05/04 03:14 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Bonnie: I had a friend like that in H.S. Her parents wouldn't even let her attend the senior prom! And she was a good kid. (good grades, outgoing, funny, sweet...)

When she moved to the Dallas area to attend UTA, she went WILD. I don't think I ever saw her sober for the first couple of years of school. She did eventually come back to earth, married an army officer, has 4 beautiful kids and teaches English at a base in Italy. I just can't help but wonder if she could have been spared 2 years of hangovers, if they had just loosened up a little bit.

Return to Top
#144870 - 01/05/04 03:55 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

If she's in the car, it's country music. Depressing, yes, safe, yes.

Safe? Better listen again. I couldn't believe a song I heard while with my daughter. It was supposed to be about off-roading in a 4WD, but the words. "I leaned over and kissed her and then I put it in (pause, pause, pause) 4WD." It goes on about taking it out and putting it in all with big pauses to make you think something other than putting your vehicle in 4WD.

Return to Top
#144871 - 01/05/04 04:02 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Quote:

well said....I've actually found myself "censoring" already for my 9 yr. old daughter. If she's in the car, it's country music. Depressing, yes, safe, yes. The pop stations play songs with violence, sexual reference and I agree that the lifestyle implied and referenced leads directly to the above quote!!

Jeremy - we already do that for the Bug - when she is in the car, it's only Classical music or NPR (and not even all of NPR.)

Return to Top
#144872 - 01/05/04 04:06 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Gah, let me amend that - we are NOT in favor of censorship at all; however, while she is in this huge sponge mode and soon will be learning to talk, we want to be extremely careful about what she is hearing and learning to say. When she is older and has both an ability to understand what she is hearing/seeing, and to make a judgement about it, then we will allow her to have greater access to things. But for right now, the last thing we want is for her first word to be unprintable!!

Return to Top
#144873 - 01/05/04 04:15 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
I agree to a point. GIGO. You need to protect children as long as you can. When there is a movie that one of my kids wants to see that may be questionable, and there is some value to it, I let them see it - WITH ME! I use phrases like " but that is not what we believe" and ask " but what do you think?" Yes I try to impart my beliefs on my children. They are my children.

I am confident that good judgment starts with a solid foundation. They need a point of reference and please don't tell me that society provides one. It is in my job description not that of a sports figure or some pop star.

Return to Top
#144874 - 01/05/04 05:03 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
I am sorry for cluttering up this thread. I should have expressed myself elsewhere.

There are plenty of words / phrases that make me cringe. Phrases like these have always existed and always will. I just can't imagine Thomas Jefferson claiming "my bad", or Abraham Lincoln replying with "whatever". Maybe there was a kinder, gentler press at the time. (Yea, right.)

Return to Top
#144875 - 01/05/04 11:39 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

I just can't imagine Thomas Jefferson claiming "my bad", or Abraham Lincoln replying with "whatever".

No, because they were like, educated, you know? TJ was like "When in the course of human events," and John Hancock was like "I'm down with that; where do I sign?" And Abe was like, let my people go and stuff. And the South was like, no way, Jose. And the North was like, way.

Return to Top
#144876 - 01/06/04 01:49 AM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
Anonymous
Unregistered

Should be banned..........
What EVERYONE says when you use the word "ASSUME"
It used to be a perfectly good word.
Oh Well.

Return to Top
#144877 - 01/06/04 02:25 AM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Quote:

I just can't imagine Thomas Jefferson claiming "my bad", or Abraham Lincoln replying with "whatever".

No, because they were like, educated, you know? TJ was like "When in the course of human events," and John Hancock was like "I'm down with that; where do I sign?" And Abe was like, let my people go and stuff. And the South was like, no way, Jose. And the North was like, way.

Steve, that was FAR OUT! LOLOLOL

Return to Top
#144878 - 01/06/04 02:09 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Quote:

Quote:

......and it was cool!

Return to Top
#144879 - 01/06/04 02:31 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

......and it was cool!

Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy.....
That is so 80's. It wasn't cool- it was all good.

Return to Top
#144880 - 01/06/04 02:41 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
like, um gag me with a spoon!
the other word i would like banned FOREVER is irregardless!! ahhhhhhhhhhh i hate that non word!

Return to Top
#144881 - 01/06/04 03:09 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

......and it was cool!

Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy.....
That is so 80's. It wasn't cool- it was all good.

Dude, except, like, in the South, it wasn't all good. It was like, so punk. People were, like, losing their cribs and stuff.

Return to Top
#144882 - 01/06/04 03:12 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

Dude, except, like, in the South, it wasn't all good. It was like, so punk. People were, like, losing their cribs and stuff.

My bad.

Return to Top
#144883 - 01/06/04 03:17 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Jac - LOLOLOLOLOL

Return to Top
#144884 - 01/06/04 03:30 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
Custer looking down at a small group of Native Americans at Little Bighorn "its all good".
Custer's last words that same day "my bad".

Return to Top
#144885 - 01/06/04 04:01 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
The Indians were all "WHASSSUUPPP!!!"

Return to Top
#144886 - 01/06/04 05:09 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
Kewl!

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#758410 - 06/21/07 09:44 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd Walleye Woman
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
Good gravy!

Return to Top
#758415 - 06/21/07 09:48 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd doobydoobydoo
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Good gravy is right...why are you bringing up something from 2 yrs ago?

Return to Top
#758419 - 06/21/07 09:49 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd Mrs. Rizzo
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
Feeling especailly productive at work today.

Return to Top
#758422 - 06/21/07 09:50 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd doobydoobydoo
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
I see!!!

Return to Top
#758424 - 06/21/07 09:53 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd Mrs. Rizzo
X O Offline
Diamond Poster
X O
the maelstrom
3 years can't you count?

Return to Top
#758427 - 06/21/07 09:58 PM Re: Goodbye Bling Bling, You've Been Punk'd X O
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
NO! i can't! That's why I'm in banking!