Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1502560 - 01/31/11 02:51 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location BurntSienna
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
The way I feel is if the weather is too bad to travel, the Bank will close. We have had some horrible storms up north this year and when they were bad enough we have had delayed openings and closings.

I believe people over-react when it snows, and calling out of work because of snow, when the institution is open and everyone else is there is not appropriate in my mind. Yes, it is snowing, yes you need to leave much earlier and drive to work slower, but if your institution is open, you should be there. When driving safely in snow, it is not "risking your life" to get to work.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1502567 - 01/31/11 03:01 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Bob The Banker
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Just to play devil's advoate - what if work is open but schools are closed? Some people live closer to work than others - some live in cities where road crews are out immediately - some live in the coutry where the township road crews take a while to get to your lane, road, etc
I think it's a matter of trust - I will believe some folks who tell me the storm was too bad and I won't believe others based on the credibility they have built up with me.
I've come across a couple of accidents in my time caused by snow and ice and I would NEVER require someone to get on unsafe roads.
That's my call
Your boss may feel differently.

Return to Top
#1502824 - 01/31/11 07:26 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location RBanker
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Schools closing has no impact on work. If you need to take a day out to watch your kids, then that is your call to use a vacation day.

Under your extreme circumstance, if your street is not plowed, call and let your boss know, as soon as you are plowed out, then head to work.

Return to Top
#1502892 - 01/31/11 08:11 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Bob The Banker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
It's not really in keeping with the original post, but rather I feel the need to comment on Bob's post. I'd like to share my creed...Work to live, not live to work. In all my years of working in banks in the upper Mid-West where we get tons of bad weather every winter, I've only known one of my employers to close once. So I use pto or vacation if necessary and I remind myself, it's only a job.

Return to Top
#1502977 - 01/31/11 09:33 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Truffle Royale
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Some people think that snow is the only issue. It's not. Some areas cannot or will not handle the snow properly. Whether it is due to cost or inexperience is irrelevant. I lived in Albany for over 3 years and saw very heavy storms. However, the city was always well prepared. All types of businesses were usually open, as the city knew how to handle the situation.

Now, I live in Long Island, near Queens. I can assure you that during the most recent storm that wasn't the case. Just because both areas get X amount of snow doesn't mean it's handled the same way. If the roads are clear, you should go into work. That said, if the roads aren't safe and public transportation is shut down, you're better off using a personal/vacation day and trying again tomorrow.

I wouldn’t want my staff getting in a car accident or worse while trying to get to work to handle an item that can most certainly wait until tomorrow. We are bankers, not police or fireman. I would have to seriously question some people’s priorities here.

For what it's worth, I think Truffle summed it up pretty well.

Return to Top
#1503210 - 02/01/11 03:09 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location ACBbank
melmac Offline
I was one of those employees that came to work no matter what (btw at the time I lived out in no mans land) I was usually 2-3 hours late but made it. Many were amazed. However a few years ago during one of my got to go morning commutes (even though it took me 3 hours to get home the night before when normally it was 30-45 mins) I made my husband take me. Started out 2 hours before scheduled time and hit some black ice and ended up flipping the truck and rolling several times. Luckily we were not hurt. Since that day if "I" don't feel comfortable driving to work in the snow I am not going. If my employer can't understand that I don't want to work there. So don't scoff when I don't come in, been there done that won't do it again. Just my two cents....

Return to Top
#1503503 - 02/01/11 07:44 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location melmac
Al Sleet Offline
Last week we got 22 inches of snow and the road I live on wasn't plowed until 9:30AM (usually the town keeps up with it really good). I called my boss at 8AM explained my situation and the fact that I would get there ASAP (which she totally understood). I ended up getting to work about 2 hours late and everyone was happy to see me. My boss thought we could use personal time to cover the difference but HR said that I wouldn't be paid for the time due to weather not being an excuse for absence. I didn't think that this was fair due to the circumstance and the fact that I have a good attendance record and I am always at work on time or early and sometimes stay late and this was hopefully a one time thing because of a snow storm that our public works dept apparently miscalculated. Does this seem right?

Return to Top
#1503622 - 02/01/11 08:47 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Al Sleet
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: Al Sleet
Last week we got 22 inches of snow and the road I live on wasn't plowed until 9:30AM (usually the town keeps up with it really good). I called my boss at 8AM explained my situation and the fact that I would get there ASAP (which she totally understood). I ended up getting to work about 2 hours late and everyone was happy to see me. My boss thought we could use personal time to cover the difference but HR said that I wouldn't be paid for the time due to weather not being an excuse for absence. I didn't think that this was fair due to the circumstance and the fact that I have a good attendance record and I am always at work on time or early and sometimes stay late and this was hopefully a one time thing because of a snow storm that our public works dept apparently miscalculated. Does this seem right?

Stay late/arrive early the other days to make up the time.

Return to Top
#1503646 - 02/01/11 09:07 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Truffle Royale
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
It's not really in keeping with the original post, but rather I feel the need to comment on Bob's post. I'd like to share my creed...Work to live, not live to work. In all my years of working in banks in the upper Mid-West where we get tons of bad weather every winter, I've only known one of my employers to close once. So I use pto or vacation if necessary and I remind myself, it's only a job.

Cute saying, and yes, that does apply to most when it comes to the amount of hours and travel demands of a job. But showing up to the office when you are supposed to be there? That may be stretching it. You still need to be professional, dedicated, and dependable.

I am in a heavy snow area. I drive a little 4 cylinder commuter car, not some snow monster pick-up, SUV, or AWD vehicle. Driving in the snow is not remotely dangerous as those in this thread have made it out to be if you know how to drive in snow conditions, take the proper precautions, and provide yourself extra time for the commute. There are many arguments that driving in rain is just as or more dangerous than snow, but you will never see someone call out for rain.

If you live in an area that consistently gets a disasterous amount of snow, then you should purchase a vehicle that allows for the appropriate commute.

Can you find yourself in an accident on a day it is snowing -- yes. Can you find yourself in an accident when it rains -- yes. Can you find yourself in an accident on a bright sunny day -- yes.

Many like to blow the aspect of driving in the snow way out of proportion. Driving in the snow can be done safely and responsibly, that is how everyone else makes it to the office. Driving in the snow is unpleasant for most, but don't call it "life endangering" because it is unpleasant.

Return to Top
#1503740 - 02/02/11 12:44 AM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Bob The Banker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Bob, you may not mean to but you're starting to sound condescending.

A creed is not a 'cute saying'. That saying serves me well in numerous aspects of my life. I don't just use it as an excuse to skip out on work because there's snow on the ground. I'm one of the most loyal and conscientious employees you'll ever come across.

I regularly plow through many inches of snow and drifts to get to work. And most of the time I managed to find someone to take care of my kids until they were old enough to stay home alone. If you've never had to make arrangements for the kids then I suggest you're limited in your ability to understand others who are confronted with snow days.

Making up time is not always allowed. We have to get permission and have good cause to work ot here. So I can't come in two hours late and make it up later in the week. Again, what works for you, may not work for others so please, cut the rest of us some slack.

Lastly, a couple of people here had honest incidents that cause them to hestitate when bad weather strikes. Relegating a rolled truck to 'driving in snow (being) unpleasant' is really beyond reason.

Return to Top
#1503785 - 02/02/11 02:13 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Truffle Royale
Cats Offline
100 Club
Cats
Florida
While I live in Florida now, I grew up in a mid-Atlantic state. The bank where I worked had a snow day policy of "there are no snow days." Unless a supervisor called specifically to notify you the branch was closed - you went into work. And if the branch was closed, you didn't get paid because you didn't work. You couldn't exceed your scheduled hours on other days in order to make up the time, either.

As for snow driving skills - mine where okay, it was the other people on the road next to me that worried me. Plus, no matter the skill level, driving on a thin dusting of snow over old snow that's been packed down into a sheet of ice is dangerous as is hitting black ice. Once you're on ice, physics takes over and you're at the mercy of a combination of mass and trajectory until you can get traction again. We've all seen the news footage of cars sliding helpless on ice, ramming into other cars/houses/trees/poles/etc.

As for buying a big fancy vehicle to drive all year just in case of the few bad snow days each year, well, that was well beyond my reach at the time. Actually, I take that back - it's STILL beyond my reach.

Oh, and as for nobody ever refuses to come in due to rain? Yes, yes we do. It's called a tropical storm or hurricane. laugh

Return to Top
#1503793 - 02/02/11 02:32 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Cats
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Guess what Bob...

SNOW DAY!!!!

And I do not feel bad about it... I am one of those people that live furthest from the bank, but am usually one of the first ones there each morning... I have that bigger vehicle that plows through the snow, but considering that one cannot tell the difference between between the country roads I take and fields, I am ok with this. If the bank wouldn't have closed today, I think even I would be taking a personal day today... very unusual even for me.

That said, while most of my coworkers will be sleeping in and playing with their kids today, I actually prepared either way, and have brought home plenty of work with me today.

I only wish I could only be as dedicated, loyal and diligent as yourself! Cheers.

Return to Top
#1503817 - 02/02/11 03:05 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location #Just Jay
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
As for buying a big fancy vehicle to drive all year just in case of the few bad snow days each year, well, that was well beyond my reach at the time. Actually, I take that back - it's STILL beyond my reach.

As your former employer was so generous with your snow days you should have just asked them to purchase the big fancy vehicle and chip in for gas they could have said yes. "sacrasm font off"

CAMS

Return to Top
#1503886 - 02/02/11 04:27 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location edAudit
Cats Offline
100 Club
Cats
Florida
Originally Posted By: EdAudit

As your former employer was so generous with your snow days you should have just asked them to purchase the big fancy vehicle and chip in for gas they could have said yes. "sacrasm font off"

Hee! Exactly! That same bank had late hours on Friday and we worked the late shift every other Friday. On my day to leave at 4:30 Friday, I was told at 4:25pm to work the late shift to cover for someone who was absent. My boyfriend who lived 2 hours away was expecting me at 6:30 and now I wouldn't be arriving until 9:30 at the earliest. This was in the days before cell phones so I called him from the bank phone to let him know I'd be three hours late.

When the phone bill for the branch came two weeks later, there was a big to-do about the $1.49 long distance call on the bill. They made me pay for it out of pocket and let me know that I wouldn't get written up for it - this time but it better not happen ever again. Can you just feel the generosity of spirit? laugh

Return to Top
#1503900 - 02/02/11 04:43 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location edAudit
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I'm no longer into bragging rights that said I've made it to work during every single snow storm we've had over the last 17 years. I did that the first 12 years. I even made it here every day during the ice storm of the century - 43 miles each way.

Then my sister passed away in a horrific car accident and I found out that journey and this place is not near as important as some of you make it out to be. Work to live is much more important than live to work.

Credit me with enough sense that if it is an important day then you'll know I'll try to be here come he!! or highwater but if it is everyday work that can wait a day then look for me at home.

Return to Top
#1503905 - 02/02/11 04:48 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location HRH Okie Banker
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Cats post is the one of the reasons I feel so strong about this. It would be one thing if a company actually cared about their employers and took care of them, but that is hardly the case. I haven't been in banking that long, but I have worked at small, medium and very large banks. Every single one of them would have replaced any employee if they could find someone of equal skills, but cheaper.

Sorry, but I'm not risking my neck for that. Also, comparing driving through snow to someone who was in a really bad accident is totally insane.

Return to Top
#1503916 - 02/02/11 04:57 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location ACBbank
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
No it is not insane because I did not compare driving in snow to accident. I explained that it woke me up to what is important in life.

Return to Top
#1503917 - 02/02/11 04:59 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location HRH Okie Banker
Cats Offline
100 Club
Cats
Florida
Okie, I think ACBank was referring to Bob the Banker's comment above: "Driving in the snow is unpleasant for most, but don't call it "life endangering" because it is unpleasant."

Return to Top
#1503924 - 02/02/11 05:08 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Cats
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Yes, I was referring to Bob's comment. In no way was I trying to insult you Okie. I actually agree with your post.

I apologize if my comment came across that way. I assure you, it was not intended too.

Return to Top
#1503966 - 02/02/11 05:44 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location ACBbank
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
I wonder what happened to the employee in the original poster's bank? I don't think cbrown0929 ever came back to tell us.

Return to Top
#1504007 - 02/02/11 06:23 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location califgirl
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Sorry that I jumped to the wrong conclusions and thanks for telling me. I appreciate that.

Return to Top
#1504013 - 02/02/11 06:53 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Truffle Royale
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Bob, you may not mean to but you're starting to sound condescending.

A creed is not a 'cute saying'. That saying serves me well in numerous aspects of my life. I don't just use it as an excuse to skip out on work because there's snow on the ground. I'm one of the most loyal and conscientious employees you'll ever come across.

I regularly plow through many inches of snow and drifts to get to work. And most of the time I managed to find someone to take care of my kids until they were old enough to stay home alone. If you've never had to make arrangements for the kids then I suggest you're limited in your ability to understand others who are confronted with snow days.

Making up time is not always allowed. We have to get permission and have good cause to work ot here. So I can't come in two hours late and make it up later in the week. Again, what works for you, may not work for others so please, cut the rest of us some slack.

Lastly, a couple of people here had honest incidents that cause them to hestitate when bad weather strikes. Relegating a rolled truck to 'driving in snow (being) unpleasant' is really beyond reason.

Asking to make-up time was merely a suggestion, and it would not be overtime if you are simply replacing hours you missed, maybe it works maybe it doesn't.

Like I said previously, accidents do happen in snow, but they are just as common in other types of inclimate weather and also occur in perfectly sunny days. I NEVER relegated rolling a tuck to driving in snow is unpleasant, so please do not rearrange statements to conjure up a statement I did not make.

Return to Top
#1504028 - 02/02/11 07:20 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Bob The Banker
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Bob, I'm bettin' you live somewhere flat.

Return to Top
#1504032 - 02/02/11 07:26 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Bob The Banker
Cats Offline
100 Club
Cats
Florida
Originally Posted By: Bob The Banker

Like I said previously, accidents do happen in snow, but they are just as common in other types of inclimate weather and also occur in perfectly sunny days. I NEVER relegated rolling a tuck to driving in snow is unpleasant, so please do not rearrange statements to conjure up a statement I did not make.

I think it was this paragraph from your post above that gave that impression, especially the part I have highlighted:

Many like to blow the aspect of driving in the snow way out of proportion. Driving in the snow can be done safely and responsibly, that is how everyone else makes it to the office. Driving in the snow is unpleasant for most, but don't call it "life endangering" because it is unpleasant.

Return to Top
#1504057 - 02/02/11 07:51 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Cats
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Thanks, Cats. That is exactly the part I was referring to.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry