#1449125 - 09/28/10 02:59 PM Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena
katbg Offline
New Poster
katbg
North Florida
Last edited by katbg; 09/28/10 08:19 PM. Reason: Moving to different forum
Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1449128 - 09/28/10 03:05 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena katbg
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Any one can be sued for just about anything. The safe harbor will protect the bank and the BSA Officer. I would alert your primary regulator as well as FinCen to your response. As far as I'm aware, a bank (or an employee of a bank) can neither confirm nor deny the existence of a SAR.

Return to Top
#1449132 - 09/28/10 03:09 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena ACBbank
OldTeller Offline
100 Club
My question would be as to how they have that SAR....

Return to Top
#1449135 - 09/28/10 03:11 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena OldTeller
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Unfortunately, the bulwarks against disclosure of SARs have sprung a lot of leaks.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1449141 - 09/28/10 03:17 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena John Burnett
OldTeller Offline
100 Club
If it wasn't filed though, was it disclosed to someone somehow by Bank staff?

Return to Top
#1449142 - 09/28/10 03:17 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena John Burnett
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Also, don't assume they know about any subsequent SAR's. Many times attorneys like to go on fishing expeditions for information. Be very careful what you say should this farce actually precede.

Return to Top
#1449158 - 09/28/10 03:30 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena ACBbank
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Who is the subpoena from and what is it requesting??

Return to Top
#1449170 - 09/28/10 03:38 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena rlcarey
OldTeller Offline
100 Club
I wasn't assuming anything, I was just asking how the work product for a SAR got outside the Bank.

Return to Top
#1449205 - 09/28/10 04:41 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena OldTeller
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Originally Posted By: OldTeller
I wasn't assuming anything, I was just asking how the work product for a SAR got outside the Bank.

What was the SAR attached to the subpoena? You say it wasn't the original. Was it just a blank SAR form or was it a copy of a previously filed SAR?

The SAR in itself is not some big secret. You can find a blank form online. You can also research things on the FinCEN site and find out SAR requirements, procedures, etc. So anyone can obtain that information easily.

If you can maybe provide more info, I'd be glad to answer any questions. I had worked with law enforcement and federal agencies on several investigations that were started by a SAR that I'd filed. I've received subpoenas, etc. I'm just not 100% sure what your situation is and what you are asking. smile

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1449277 - 09/28/10 05:59 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena Aggs
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
The subpeonas that I've gotten for SAR filings have been from the FBI. They know the SAR has been filed and have access to these on line, so why is it such a secret that I can't mention it when they have a copy and I have a copy?

Return to Top
#1449293 - 09/28/10 06:30 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena nemsi
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By: nemsi
so why is it such a secret that I can't mention it when they have a copy and I have a copy?

My statement wasn't regarding law enforcement Nem. You're correct in that you can confirm the existence of a SAR to LE. I was referencing the attorney who submitted the subpoena to the bank. Based on the original post, I assumed this attorney represented the individual or entity the SAR was filed on and was not associated with LE in any way.

Return to Top
#1449296 - 09/28/10 06:33 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena ACBbank
OldTeller Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: ACBbank
Originally Posted By: nemsi
so why is it such a secret that I can't mention it when they have a copy and I have a copy?

My statement wasn't regarding law enforcement Nem. You're correct in that you can confirm the existence of a SAR to LE. I was referencing the attorney who submitted the subpoena to the bank. Based on the original post, I assumed this attorney represented the individual or entity the SAR was filed on and was not associated with LE in any way.

My understanding was that the SAR that was included with the subpoena wasn't the filed SAR, which indicated to me it was work product. I don't file SARs that aren't complete (and I don't know anyone that does), so how did someone get a copy of an incomplete SAR? If my understanding is correct, then something seems fishy...
Last edited by OldTeller; 09/28/10 06:34 PM.
Return to Top
#1449322 - 09/28/10 07:09 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena OldTeller
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
ACBbank & Oldteller, thanks. I went back and read the posting. The first time I read it my mind immediately went to the subpoenas I had dealt with and I was concerned about some of my conversations with LE.
Thanks again.

Return to Top
#1449361 - 09/28/10 08:00 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena nemsi
katbg Offline
New Poster
katbg
North Florida
/
Last edited by katbg; 09/28/10 08:21 PM. Reason: Moving to different forum
Return to Top
#1449368 - 09/28/10 08:03 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena katbg
katbg Offline
New Poster
katbg
North Florida
/
Last edited by katbg; 09/28/10 08:20 PM. Reason: moving to different forum
Return to Top
#1449369 - 09/28/10 08:04 PM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena katbg
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: *
This is a criminal case involving loan fraud. The suspect has already been found guilty by a jury and now starting a new trial. A subpoena was served to the BSA Officer from the US District Court "commanding" as it states in the order all supporting documentation used to file the SAR and the BSA Officer to testify. I was under the understanding that only certain agencies could request supporting documentation and that the BSA Officer has Safe Harbor and wouldn't be required to testify. I am at a loss here and only have a few weeks to find out if this is all necessary

You need to involve the bank's attorney, FINCEN and your primary federal regulator. Do not attempt to deal with this without those parties.

Return to Top
#1449435 - 09/29/10 12:41 AM Re: Sar filed and BSA Officer served subpoena Kathleen O. Blanchard
OldTeller Offline
100 Club
The first question our GC will ask is 'how did they get that work product SAR' If it was indeed just work product, that question definitely needs to be answered before reaching out to anyone, as the GC would then need to do damage control with FINCEN et. al, in addition to dealing with that subpoena.

If the SAR was not just work product, I agree with Kathleen.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z