Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#144936 - 01/02/04 05:28 PM FACT Act
skinnyminny Offline
Gold Star
skinnyminny
Heaven in comparison to my pri...
I'm trying to find a post on the above subject that appeared about 1 month or so ago. It was a synopsis of the Act that included how it would affect banks. I believe it was posted by a "guru". I know it was a male, and it was not the Maharesh Mahesh Yogi.

Thanks in advance.

Return to Top
#144937 - 01/02/04 05:53 PM Re: FACT Act
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Try This

Is this it?

Return to Top
#144938 - 01/02/04 06:30 PM Re: FACT Act
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
I was trying to figure out what parts of FACT are now effective dated 12/31/03. Based on the Federal Register text, it looks as if
- for the time being, state laws about prevention or mitigation of identity theft still apply, unless those state laws are inconsistent with FACT or other federal laws;
- states cannot restrict consumer rights regarding
(1)information that can appear on consumer reports; (2) information about credit scores or other predictors; (3) fees for consumers to obtain their credit reports; (4) adverse action notices; (5) requirement to keep consumer report information accurate and up to date; (6) use of consumer report information for marketing purposes and sharing among affiliates.

However, certain paragraphs of laws in California, Colorado, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Vermont are still enforceable. See FACT Act section 212(e) for the details. FACT Act is HR 2622 and is available at thomas.loc.gov.

Is this a fair interpretation of that recent Federal Register notice (68fr74467a)?

Return to Top
#144939 - 01/02/04 07:40 PM Re: FACT Act
skinnyminny Offline
Gold Star
skinnyminny
Heaven in comparison to my pri...
Yippie I O Ki-yay... that's it.

Thanks Cowboy

Return to Top