Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#145015 - 01/07/04 08:52 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
2 -5 years to bio-degrade.

They are toxic.

Your cigarette butts probably don't cause a problem, but several billion/trillion worldwide just might.

Return to Top
#145016 - 01/07/04 10:11 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-environment, but throwing a butt out the window (in a responsible manner - away form motorcycles or convertibles ) is not the crime of the century.

Dave - if you try that in the hills of Southern California in the month of October, you may just get arrested for felony arson! It gets as serious as a heart attack here around that time of year.

Return to Top
#145017 - 01/07/04 10:14 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's for sure - I didn't think they even allowed anyone to smoke in California!

Return to Top
#145018 - 01/07/04 10:20 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
We herd them all into small areas of land formly known as "Small Farms" (see my post in the CRA/HMDA forum), and the plan is to make it smaller and smaller so hopefully it will be the part of California that falls into the ocean when the San Andreas fault lets loose.

(Notice the stain free smile...)

Return to Top
#145019 - 01/08/04 04:12 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
I week down, 51 more to go.....

Return to Top
#145020 - 01/08/04 04:36 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
Yes, Dave, some people still smoke in California. Some even smoke cigarettes.

Return to Top
#145021 - 01/08/04 04:52 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Yes, Dave, some people still smoke in California. Some even smoke cigarettes.

Why, Al...........

Return to Top
#145022 - 01/08/04 06:32 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
When my oldest was still in the carriage, I was walking along the street and an older woman threw her cigarette toward the gutter (you know, sort of flicked it in that general direction) but it was windy and it landed in the carriage , fortunately it was winter and the baby was all bundled in blankets The woman saw what happened and was truly contrite but still...People really need to think twice when they casually toss those things.

Return to Top
#145023 - 01/08/04 08:45 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Michelle III Offline
Gold Star
Michelle III
PA
We've had two mulch fires at my branches from people flinging butts out the window! Hot August days with no rain make a bad combination with a lit butt.

Return to Top
#145024 - 01/08/04 10:20 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
A year or so ago I was called to one of our branches down the street because there was a "Strong smell of gasoline". It was raining at the time and someone drove through with either a huge hole in their gas tank or a broken fuel line and you could see large amounts of gas floating on the puddles of the drive thru. I am so thankful that no one tossed a lit butt out the window before we were able to close the lane and have the fire department soak up the spill

Return to Top
#145025 - 01/09/04 03:33 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Gotta see the Dilbert Cartoon today Dilbert

Return to Top
#145026 - 01/09/04 03:54 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
I love it Z. You get a 5 on the snort meter, and I get a new cartoon motivator posted above my computer. Ya know, it's amazing the little changes I notice already. We have popcorn in our lobby on Fridays, and I don't think it has ever smelled quite as good as it does today! I'm not eating it mind you, (I'm sticking to diet pop this morning) but my sense of smell and taste have already improved, in addition to my pearlie white teeth!

Return to Top
#145027 - 01/09/04 04:16 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Georgia Golfer Offline
Gold Star
Georgia Golfer
1st Tee
Congrats on making it to week one. A heads up: I don't know if it's the same for smokers as it was for dippers, but in the 2-5 week period I got sores inside my mouth. Not cold sores, but they were close. I freaked out because I didn't know at the time that they are normal and are just the mouth's way of healing from all the abuse. Be ready, they suck but it's better than cancer!! They also go away as fast as they come sometime in week 6 or 7. Congrats again & keep the march on!!

Return to Top
#145028 - 01/09/04 04:31 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Congrats on making it to week one. A heads up: I don't know if it's the same for smokers as it was for dippers, but in the 2-5 week period I got sores inside my mouth. Not cold sores, but they were close. I freaked out because I didn't know at the time that they are normal and are just the mouth's way of healing from all the abuse. Be ready, they suck but it's better than cancer!! They also go away as fast as they come sometime in week 6 or 7. Congrats again & keep the march on!!

So far no problems, and thanks for the encouragement. I know that it is all of you that are making the difference for me. (Let me rephrase, I feel that God is using you all to help me!)

Return to Top
#145029 - 01/10/04 02:17 AM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Needs To Know Offline
Needs To Know
Someplace Warm
Congratulations! As a former smoker I can sympathize with what you are going through. Our CEO offered $1000 to any employee who could quit smoking for a year right after our annual American Cancer Society relay for life last year, and 10 people signed up. Six are still smoke free! I try to assist (being the HR person as well as compliance) and found this web site somewhere. Pull it up, take a look, and download the link "Joel's library as a book in pdf format" . It is called "Never Take Another Puff" and it helped many of us one day at a time. www.whyquit.com

Return to Top
#145030 - 01/12/04 04:27 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Thanks Dave for reminding me! I was able to remain smoke free (except for the second-hand stuff) through the weekend. And let me tell you, it was tougher than last weekend. My husband took me out to a local dive to shoot stick, and I decided to have a couple of beers. Then it became tough! BUT....I stayed strong. Lost every game I played, but still had a good time. Then came NFL time! Watching the Eagles game, I wanted a cigarette soooooooo bad, I almost caved.....but T-Girl came in and watched with me to help me get through it. So, I guess this is my long-winded way of saying, I still haven't smoked!

Return to Top
#145031 - 01/12/04 04:42 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Good job, Elena.

Return to Top
#145032 - 01/12/04 04:58 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Congrats Elena

Return to Top
#145033 - 01/12/04 05:33 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
Keep hanging in there, Elena.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#145034 - 01/12/04 05:48 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
Keep it up Elena. It will get easier.

Return to Top
#145035 - 01/19/04 02:21 AM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
I hope no news is good news. We're all still rooting for you.

Return to Top
#145036 - 01/19/04 02:59 AM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Yep, still smoke free, and let me tell you, it was TOUGH watching the Eagles game! I wanted a cigarette sooooo bad. (Like that would have helped!) But, I held out and still have minty breath and white teeth! Thanks for pulling for me Al!

Return to Top
#145037 - 01/21/04 03:31 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Keep it going Elena. It will be worth it.

P.S. I don't know if you've gained any weight after quitting, but I heard a report that those who gain weight after quitting are usually back to their normal weight within a year.

Return to Top
#145038 - 01/21/04 04:00 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Keep it going Elena. It will be worth it.

P.S. I don't know if you've gained any weight after quitting, but I heard a report that those who gain weight after quitting are usually back to their normal weight within a year.

Day 21 and I am feeling good. I haven't gained yet...I'm walking 2 miles a day on the treadmill right now, and as soon as it warms a little, I'm gonna get back to walking the dogs, outside. They both are really, really mad at me right now. I took them each for a mile, the first week or so, and then it got cold, and I started using the treadmill. They look at me kind of like Limecat right now...so I'm sleeping very lightly! LOL Thanks for checking on me Z. I'm sorry I haven't been posting, but I am still very much on the wagon, and feel like I can say I'm not an ex-smoker, I'm a non-smoker!

Return to Top
#145039 - 01/21/04 07:37 PM Re: Watch Elena Quit Smoking
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
Keep up the good work!!! have you noticed your sense of smell getting better? food tasting better? Those were some of the first things i could tell were "new" after i quit!!

Return to Top
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett