Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1452414 - 10/06/10 05:20 PM FASB and TDR's
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
When you want to consider a loan to be a TDR (Troubled Debt Restructure), must it be secured by real estate?

Specifically, we do a lot of MFH's without land and I was asked if we needed to do a TDR for it since it was not considered real property.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1452423 - 10/06/10 05:30 PM Re: FASB and TDR's Many Hats
Princess of Power Offline
Gold Star
Princess of Power
Napa, CA
Refer to your call report:

Troubled Debt Restructurings: The accounting standards for troubled debt restructurings are set forth
in ASC Subtopic 310-40, Receivables – Troubled Debt Restructurings by Creditors (formerly FASB Statement No. 15, "Accounting by Debtors and Creditors for Troubled Debt Restructurings," as amended by FASB Statement No. 114, "Accounting by Creditors for Impairment of a Loan"). A summary of these accounting standards follows. For further information, see ASC Subtopic 310-40.
A troubled debt restructuring is a restructuring in which a bank, for economic or legal reasons related to a borrower's financial difficulties, grants a concession to the borrower that it would not otherwise consider. The restructuring of a loan or other debt instrument (hereafter referred to collectively as a "loan") may include, but is not necessarily limited to: (1) the transfer from the borrower to the bank of real estate, receivables from third parties, other assets, or an equity interest in the borrower in full or partial satisfaction of the loan (see the Glossary entry for "foreclosed assets" for further information), (2) a modification of the loan terms, such as a reduction of the stated interest rate, principal, or accrued interest or an extension of the maturity date at a stated interest rate lower than the current market rate for new debt with similar risk, or (3) a combination of the above. A loan extended or renewed at a stated interest rate equal to the current interest rate for new debt with similar risk is not to be reported as a restructured troubled loan.
The recorded amount of a loan is the loan balance adjusted for any unamortized premium or discount and unamortized loan fees or costs, less any amount previously charged off, plus recorded accrued interest.
All loans whose terms have been modified in a troubled debt restructuring, including both commercial and retail loans, must be evaluated for impairment under ASC Topic 310, Receivables (formerly FASB Statement No. 114, "Accounting by Creditors for Impairment of a Loan," as amended). Accordingly, a bank should measure any loss on the restructuring in accordance with the guidance concerning impaired loans set forth in the Glossary entry for "loan impairment." Under ASC Topic 310, when
FFIEC 031 and 041 GLOSSARY
FFIEC 031 and 041 A-86 GLOSSARY
(9-10)
Troubled Debt Restructurings (cont.):
measuring impairment on a restructured troubled loan using the present value of expected future cash flows method, the cash flows should be discounted at the effective interest rate of the original loan, i.e., before the restructuring. For a residential mortgage loan with a “teaser” or starter rate that is less than the loan’s fully indexed rate, the starter rate is not the original effective interest rate. ASC Topic 310 also permits a bank to aggregate impaired loans that have risk characteristics in common with other impaired loans, such as modified residential mortgage loans that represent troubled debt restructurings, and use historical statistics along with a composite effective interest rate as a means of measuring the impairment of these loans.
See the Glossary entry for "nonaccrual status" for a discussion of the conditions under which a nonaccrual asset which has undergone a troubled debt restructuring (including those that involve a multiple note structure) may be returned to accrual status.
A troubled debt restructuring in which a bank receives physical possession of the borrower's assets, regardless of whether formal foreclosure or repossession proceedings take place, should be accounted for in accordance with ASC Subtopic 310-40. Thus, in such situations, the loan should be treated as if assets have been received in satisfaction of the loan and reported as described in the Glossary entry for "foreclosed assets."
Despite the granting of some type of concession by a bank to a borrower, a troubled debt restructuring may still result in the recorded amount of the loan bearing a market yield, i.e., an effective interest rate that at the time of the restructuring is greater than or equal to the rate that the bank is willing to accept for a new extension of credit with comparable risk. This may arise as a result of reductions in the recorded amount of the loan prior to the restructuring (e.g., by charge-offs). All loans that have undergone troubled debt restructurings and that are in compliance with their modified terms must be reported as restructured loans in Schedule RC-C, part I, Memorandum item 1. However, a restructured loan that is in compliance with its modified terms and yields a market rate need not continue to be reported as a troubled debt restructuring in this memorandum item in calendar years after the year in which the restructuring took place.
A restructuring may include both a modification of terms and the acceptance of property in partial satisfaction of the loan. The accounting for such a restructuring is a two step process. First, the recorded amount of the loan is reduced by the fair value less cost to sell of the property received. Second, the institution should measure any impairment on the remaining recorded balance of the restructured loan in accordance with the guidance concerning impaired loans set forth in ASC Topic 310.
A restructuring may involve the substitution or addition of a new debtor for the original borrower. The treatment of these situations depends upon their substance. Restructurings in which the substitute or additional debtor controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with the original borrower, or performs the custodial function of collecting certain of the original borrower's funds, should be accounted for as modifications of terms. Restructurings in which the substitute or additional debtor does not have a control or custodial relationship with the original borrower should be accounted for as a receipt of a "new" loan in full or partial satisfaction of the original borrower's loan. The "new" loan should be recorded at its fair value.
A credit analysis should be performed for a restructured loan in conjunction with its restructuring to determine its collectibility and estimated credit loss. When available information confirms that a specific restructured loan, or a portion thereof, is uncollectible, the uncollectible amount should be charged off against the allowance for loan and lease losses at the time of the restructuring. As is the case for all loans, the credit quality of restructured loans should be regularly reviewed. The bank should periodically evaluate the collectibility of the restructured loan so as to determine whether any additional amounts should be charged to the allowance for loan and lease losses or, if the restructuring involved an asset other than a loan, to another appropriate account.

Return to Top
#1452462 - 10/06/10 06:13 PM Re: FASB and TDR's Princess of Power
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
Okay, so when I read this, my take on it is that manufactured homes without land should be included (as they are "other assets"). My Chief Credit Officer is saying: "My understanding is that this collateral pool is considered part of a homogenous group of loans and are treated differently than CRE related restructured credits."

I honestly have no idea what he means.

FASB is not a strong point for me, so if anyone has any words of advice, that would be great.

Return to Top
#1452485 - 10/06/10 06:49 PM Re: FASB and TDR's Many Hats
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
Another banker chimed in with this response to our Chief Credit Officer:

"You are correct. This group of loans is considered “homogenous”, and addressed through the FAS-5 reserve."

I just want to make sure we are doing it right.

Does it sound like we are on the right track?

Return to Top
#1693444 - 04/27/12 05:32 PM Re: FASB and TDR's Many Hats
Angela @ FNB Offline
New Poster
Angela @ FNB
Arkansas, USA
Sorry, but I have to disagree. I think the FASB says a loan is a TDR if two considerations are satisfied...
1) the borrower is experiencing financial difficulties, and
2) the bank makes a concession to the original note.
ANY loan can be a TDR...It does not have to have real property involvement. I believe that answers the question.

ALL TDRs must be analyzed for impairment (ASC 310) each time you calculate your ALLL. - As referenced in the call report instructions above...

The process of analyzing the TDRs for the ALLL - totally different animal...
As to FAS 5 - ASC 450, your mobile home loans could be one of your segregations, but the Impaired and/or TDR loans would be removed from the pool before you segregate it. The ASC 310 -FAS 114 testing (which would include the TDRs) comes first, then the remaining pool is identified as FAS 5 - ASC 450, and must be segregated...

Not every day is meant for flying; reserve the cape for days you need it!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z