Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1455687 - 10/15/10 03:04 PM Re: what is this world coming to... prettysoon
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I was taking care of my niece and nephew a few years ago and had to drop them off a little early at school every day. It was no big deal, they just had to hang out in the cafeteria for a little while. Anyway, one boy started bullying my niece by sitting real close to her and telling her to move. It happened two days in a row before she told me. Plan A was for her to tell the punk that her auntie wanted to know if he'd ever seen the movie The Hand That Rocks The Cradle. She didn't get the reference so we went to Plan B. Her brother is three years older so I asked him to take a couple of his friends the next morning and just go sit by the kid. I told him not to say anything or do anything...just a subtle show of force. The kid left her alone after that.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1455694 - 10/15/10 03:13 PM Re: what is this world coming to... RR Sarah
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
I am very protective of my children. There was a boy picking on my oldest (I'm sure he had a crush on her) and I actually saw him teasing her one day. I drove up on them, hopped out of the car and told him he will no longer pick on her or he would have to deal with me.

She was mortified, but it stopped.

Return to Top
#1455719 - 10/15/10 03:39 PM Re: what is this world coming to... cheekEE
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Isn't that just the dumbest thing? I was bullied by a boy in 1st grade to the point that I was terrified to go to school. My mom talked to his mom at an open house in our class and his mom was so surprised to hear he was being mean since he LIKED me so much. I wish I would have had to the courage to punch him in the face when I was 7 years old!

Return to Top
#1455721 - 10/15/10 03:41 PM Re: what is this world coming to... RR Sarah
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I pull on chicks pig tails at the bars.

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out as planned.

Return to Top
#1455730 - 10/15/10 03:53 PM Re: what is this world coming to... RR Sarah
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
Isn't that just the dumbest thing? I was bullied by a boy in 1st grade to the point that I was terrified to go to school. My mom talked to his mom at an open house in our class and his mom was so surprised to hear he was being mean since he LIKED me so much. I wish I would have had to the courage to punch him in the face when I was 7 years old!

'cause now you're married and it's too late?

;-)

Return to Top
#1455745 - 10/15/10 04:12 PM Re: what is this world coming to... Jokerman
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i'll never forget 3rd grade, the biggest kid in class was Kim Knight and he was a bully to everyone, and for some reason my what i've been told was a smart mouth made me his special target. I finally got tired of it, and one day on the playground started yelling as loud as i could that he was a sissy (yeah, i'm one bad 3rd grade hombre) and other 3rd grade threats. I could see him on the far side of the playground, getting more and more mad until he stared running at me full speed, with the intent, I suppose, of creaming me. Right before he got to me, I ducked, and he went face first into a telephone pole, knocking out 5 upper teeth and 3 lower teeth. He brought them to show and tell the next day.

Jim Knight and I became very good friends not long after that, and remain friends even today, 37 years later.

Bullies are easy to deal with, it just takes brains.

Return to Top
#1455747 - 10/15/10 04:17 PM Re: what is this world coming to... Jokerman
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah

'cause now you're married and it's too late?

;-)

No, he moved away before 2nd grade and I never got a chance to even the score. I'll forever remember is his name so maybe one day...

Return to Top
#1455748 - 10/15/10 04:17 PM Re: what is this world coming to... HappyGilmore
Peepers Offline
10K Club
was it because he later changed his name from Kim to Jim that you two finally got along?

Return to Top
#1455750 - 10/15/10 04:20 PM Re: what is this world coming to... Peepers
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Originally Posted By: Peepers
was it because he later changed his name from Kim to Jim that you two finally got along?

laugh

Return to Top
#1455759 - 10/15/10 04:32 PM Re: what is this world coming to... cheekEE
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I had a bully in 6th grade. He actually bullied everyone and had knocked a kids front teeth out about 2 weeks before he started on me. He started pushing and shoving me on the way down the hall one day. I knew if he got me in a stair well or bathroom he would beat the living daylights out of me. I avoided those areas and walked past the principals office where I threw down my books and smacked him in the face. He already had 2 strikes and would get suspended for one more incident, so he showed no interest in fighting outside the Principal's office! Never had a problem with him after that. I'll never forget the big red fist print on his face for the rest of the day.

Return to Top
#1455768 - 10/15/10 04:42 PM Re: what is this world coming to... thomasj
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
<<<--- was the bully... whistle

Just kidding. wink

Return to Top
#1455771 - 10/15/10 04:44 PM Re: what is this world coming to... thomasj
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
QCL, my niece has a big scar from her open heart surgeries & she's small for age. On top of that, she has a southern accent & lives in Jacksonville, FL. She gets made fun of for these things, and talking got her through it, too. She's 10 now, and has taken to doing what she does best.. talk. She teaches them all about where she's from and what she's been through. She's one tough cookie.

I once smacked a kid in the face for bullying younger kids. His nickname was chipmunk, and I left a handprint on his puffy chipmunk cheek. Very satisfying.
Last edited by Ops; 10/15/10 04:44 PM.
Return to Top
#1455824 - 10/15/10 06:03 PM Re: what is this world coming to... Ops
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Not speaking to the obvious bullying here. People, and kids in particular, are often afraid of the unknown like scars and disease. They react the way they see grown ups react by making fun of it and talking tough without regard to how it can hurt. (and before you ask, yes, I have personal experience with disease both mine and my son's) Rather than telling my kids that those other kids were mean and would grow up wrong, I chose to tell them that the other kids just didn't understand and if they did, they wouldn't talk like that. IMHO, the world needs more plain old understanding and acceptance and less putting down of others no matter what the reason.

Return to Top
#1455838 - 10/15/10 06:29 PM Re: what is this world coming to... Truffle Royale
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
And the occasional side of the head clubbing.

Return to Top
#1455850 - 10/15/10 06:48 PM Re: what is this world coming to... Blade Scrapper
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Everyone gets a bully in their life. How they should be handled depends on the age and the individuals involved, but they must be dealt with. I sometimes think though that the level of bullying may be worse now than it used be because parents just aren't as involved as they once were. Go to school funtions and see how parents are there compared to when you were a kid. Parents cant solve all therie kids problems (and shouldn't), but they do help form the personality of the child, whether they wish to or not. As with one of the other stories here, my bully and I eventually had it out and went on to become friends. Bullies can be handled, its just important that they are handled.

Return to Top
#1455851 - 10/15/10 06:51 PM Re: what is this world coming to... Blade Scrapper
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
my youngest was getting bullied by the biggest kid in his class. He came home and told me the guy said he was going to beat him up the next day. I told him to go back to school and ask the guy what a big guy like him would prove beating up my average size son...certainly wouldn't impress anyone, and that if he wanted a challenge, he should pick a kid his size to fight. The big guy just laughed and said "you're right" and hasn't bothered him since.

Of course, Plan B was I had also called a friend who teaches at the school and he was on high alert to check on my kid...

Return to Top
#1455898 - 10/15/10 07:59 PM Re: what is this world coming to... Skittles
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Sometimes, sadly, its the adults that are cruel and stupid. My son learned to ride a two-wheeler when he was 4. A father of another boy (same age as my son) laughed at him because he was riding his sister's bike. He came home in tears. I explained how stupid the man was and how he had nothing to be embarrassed about - the guy's son still rode a trike. Made him feel a whole lot better.

Return to Top
#1455899 - 10/15/10 08:01 PM Re: what is this world coming to... madukes
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
My 80 year old father told me several times about being bullied when he was a child (he was the 98 pound weakling). he said he got fed up one day and jumped the bully in the stairwell at school and proceeded to beat the carp out of him. Needless to say, he was never bothered again.

Return to Top
#1456051 - 10/18/10 01:14 PM Re: what is this world coming to... Bankbb1, PITA
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: bankbb1
I sometimes think though that the level of bullying may be worse now than it used be because parents just aren't as involved as they once were.

We must be hanging around different parents - the ones I know are much more involved than my friends' were when I was growing up. Too involved, if anything.

Return to Top
#1456111 - 10/18/10 02:32 PM Re: what is this world coming to... Jokerman
MoodyBlue Offline
100 Club
Below the Mason Dixon Line
My mom was absolutely beautiful and was called "movie star" when she was in school. However, she was a natural red head with beautiful long wavy hair and a couple of "boys" would tease her about her hair and through rocks at her. She got really mad one day and had taken all she was going to take and finally "beat them up" (no serious damage) and they never teased her again. She was the oldest of 8 and could handle herself. She is 78 now. I tell her that they were madly in love with her.

However, in today's world, it would not be all's well that ends well.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2