Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1457044 - 10/19/10 09:12 PM Partnerships
OkieOps Offline
Platinum Poster
OkieOps
OK
I posted this in the Oklahoma forum but have no replies yet. If one of the partners dies, can the other partner continue writing checks on the account? One place I found says the partnership automatically dissolves upon the death of a partner, but a newer version of the same book does not mention this. This particular partnership is probably 50 years old and there may or may not be an actual paper agreement to refer to. Any help would be appreciated.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1457177 - 10/20/10 01:43 PM Re: Partnerships OkieOps
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Ask the surviving partner(s) if there is a written partnership agreement. If there is, it will address the circumstance. If not, Oklahoma has enacted the Uniform Partnership Act and then it would control. The model form of the Act says the decedent is "disassociated" from the partnership, but it does not say that the partnership is terminated.

You don't mention what book you are looking at, but I find it hard to believe that the the law would demand that a partnership that might involve many partners, employees, and an ongoing buisness would be forced to end by the death of one partner.

Return to Top
#1457240 - 10/20/10 02:46 PM Re: Partnerships Elwood P. Dowd
OkieOps Offline
Platinum Poster
OkieOps
OK
The book I was referring to was actually materials from a new account seminar that Mary Beth Guard spoke at in 1998.

Thanks for the info!

Return to Top
#1457443 - 10/20/10 06:02 PM Re: Partnerships OkieOps
Mary Beth Guard Offline
Platinum Poster
Mary Beth Guard
Oklahoma City, OK
54 O.S. 231 formerly provided that the partnership was dissolved by the death of any partner. That statute was repealed in the late 90s.

I should note that even back then, it was dissolved unless the partnership agreement stated otherwise. Of course, many general partnerships don't have formal written partnership agreements.
Last edited by Mary Beth Guard; 10/20/10 06:04 PM.
Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett