Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1457732 - 10/21/10 12:15 PM One-yr old's brithday party
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Can anyone explain to me why parents would have a fancy shmancy 1st birthday party for their kid?

I mean the kid is still clueless and will have no memory of it at all.

Oh, and we have to go. eek

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1457733 - 10/21/10 12:17 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party Retired DQ
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Seems to be what they do these days, Deeq. Crazy to spend all of that money crazy

Return to Top
#1457735 - 10/21/10 12:19 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party Snow Bunny
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Geesh... I mean I can understand a baptism or christening or bris or whatever, but just a 1st birthday? eek

Return to Top
#1457737 - 10/21/10 12:27 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party Retired DQ
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
It's big bucks stuff these days. Oh - and guests are expected to bring big bucks too eek

Return to Top
#1457738 - 10/21/10 12:29 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party Retired DQ
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I don't get it, either. I've started refusing to go whenever possible. When not possible, I just make a token appearance and then leave.

I have a friend whose children are home schooled (4 & 7). When she does birthday parties for them - she invites HER friends, because the kids don't have any. It's sad.

Return to Top
#1457739 - 10/21/10 12:32 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party RR Becca
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I had a large party when my son turned 1 - however it was only family - close family. My brothers, sisters, parents and my ex's sisters, parents. That was about 20 people in a very small house.

Return to Top
#1457747 - 10/21/10 12:43 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party Skittles
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
I guess I'm crazy because I had big parties for both boys' 1st Bday. As a matter of fact, Deeq, I have a picture from Little Man's party with our 2 Stink Weeds hanging in my cube!!!

Return to Top
#1457748 - 10/21/10 12:44 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party Skittles
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
We were at a party for a 1 year old last year. 20 Family and close friends, then another 40 neighbors, friends and all of their kids. He got so many toys, there is no way he could play with them, especially considering that he's in daycare and doesn't get home until 6 at night.

Return to Top
#1457750 - 10/21/10 12:45 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party Skittles
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Since we own a family pool hall, we had Ethan's there. There is a group of us who play pool together, and a there are a few littluns in that group. Free pool, cake, ice cream, refreshments, etc for our group of friends. smile

We ordered in pizza, but one other had theirs in July. We started outside (108 degrees), fired up the grill, then headed to the pool hall to cool off, play some pool and eat cake and ice cream.

Simple, fun, and pictures of littluns smearing cake on their faces. smile

Return to Top
#1457751 - 10/21/10 12:46 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party Snow Bunny
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
"What you dont need another excuse for a party" (my wife)

CAMS

Return to Top
#1457754 - 10/21/10 12:50 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party Retired DQ
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: Deeq, CRCM
.. christening ...

Gosh, breaking a bottle of champagne over a 1-yr old's head doesn't seem very safe....

Return to Top
#1457762 - 10/21/10 01:01 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party Hrothgar Geiger
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
I don't have kids, but have been invited to several first birthday parties. I think the first birthday is less about the kid and more about the life change that this all represents for the parents. It signifies that a real transition has been made for them. So I don't mind them.

But spare me parties for your kid of any other age!

Return to Top
#1457767 - 10/21/10 01:10 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party DEL
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
The one my sister had for her middle child wasn't that bad. She didn't even try to pass it off as a party for the kid - it was just a family bbq to which everyone brought the boy a present and there was cake at the end. It was infinitely more bearable than any of the others 1st bday parties I've been dragged to.

I can't decide (if I ever have kids) whether I should swear off parties outside of immediate family until the munchkin is old enough to have friends and know what's going on, or if I should throw huge parties in retaliation for all the ones I've had to go to.

Return to Top
#1457774 - 10/21/10 01:16 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party Retired DQ
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Can anyone explain to me why parents would have a fancy shmancy 1st birthday party for their kid?

translation: if there is no Tang served, then what's the point?

Return to Top
#1457788 - 10/21/10 01:29 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party DEL
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: DEL
I don't have kids, but have been invited to several first birthday parties. I think the first birthday is less about the kid and more about the life change that this all represents for the parents. It signifies that a real transition has been made for them. So I don't mind them.

This. But the 1st birthday parties we've done have been heavily family-oriented.

Return to Top
#1457794 - 10/21/10 01:40 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party E.E.G.B
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My son had a fairly large 1st birthday, but with immediate family and bestest buddies and their children of comparable age. The kid walked around the ENTIRE time and sure acted like he knew it was "all about me".

and the cake all over the faces is really funny. wink

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1457803 - 10/21/10 01:50 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party RR Joker
Y'all Comply Offline
100 Club
Y'all Comply
Land of Pears
My brother & his wife (who have 4 kids) had a huge bday party for my niece when she turn 1. They rented a VFW hall, had it catered, had a clown and a magician. She is 11 now, I am sure she doesn’t remember it. The others did not get big parties on their 1st bday. Their 4th child who turned 1 in April my SIL was not even around for it she went to Brazil to go get liposuction.

FKA Jenabq

Return to Top
#1457806 - 10/21/10 01:54 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party DEL
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: DEL

But spare me parties for your kid of any other age!

We have a winner! Not only that, but is a great excuse for new parents to beg ... uh I mean be gifted ... all the expensive stuff that little kids require. You know, like good whiskey!

Return to Top
#1457849 - 10/21/10 02:40 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party B_F
JacksTigger Offline
Gold Star
JacksTigger
lost in compliance land
We had birthday parties for all of my kids when they turned 1--in fact usually still do. But they are just for family and really are just an excuse for everyone to get together.

And celebrate that fact that the kid made it through the first year with us as parents crazy

Friend parties--as we call them--are a treat and only happen once or twice in your life.

CRCM

Return to Top
#1457863 - 10/21/10 02:54 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party Retired DQ
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...

who's really the clueless one here? The parents, or those who can't figure out a way to get out of going...

I've always thought the parents who invited 7,309 people to a childs b-day party were just looking for toys or gifts...i always asked my kids if they wanted to go or not...i never felt obligated to send a present if we didn't...and of course, if you are going to tell the kids during school, then everyone in class must be invited, mandatory school rule where I live, can't be seen to be neglecting little Johnny or little Susie...

fortunately, I had 2 boys and neither was really into the big party...they knew their sucker parents would get them whatever they wanted...most of our birthdays were just family (which in itself is a minimum of 15, and usually more than 30...)

Return to Top
#1457878 - 10/21/10 03:11 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Muhammad had it right! No gifts on birthdays!

Return to Top
#1457945 - 10/21/10 04:28 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party HappyGilmore
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

who's really the clueless one here? The parents, or those who can't figure out a way to get out of going...

It's a long story, but it is Ed's nephew and we are the only family he has, so we are going for him, not the kid, per se.

Return to Top
#1457961 - 10/21/10 04:45 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party RR Joker
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: RR joker
My son had a fairly large 1st birthday, but with immediate family and bestest buddies and their children of comparable age. The kid walked around the ENTIRE time and sure acted like he knew it was "all about me".

and the cake all over the faces is really funny. wink

We always say "It's not a good party until you have cake in your ears."

Return to Top
#1457965 - 10/21/10 04:48 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party Retired DQ
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
I shouldn't say anything... whistle

In my defense, it was a great party in a private room at a cool restaurant, and my parents (who really wanted to go all out for their only grandchild) paid for about 2/3 of it. It was just easier, since hubby's parents are divorced and having them together at our house is NOT an option. crazy I refused to plan 2-3 separate birthday celebrations for her, which otherwise I'd have to do...

It was just for family and closest friends (who all have kids around the same age) and we got to have awesome food. Everyone had a great time and we didn't ask for any specific presents or baby gear - so this wasn't a "buy us stuff!" type of thing. We actually asked people NOT to get any "big" items as we already had everything we needed. She got a lot of great books instead. And the pictures, of everyone all together from both sides of the family, are priceless. smile

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1457967 - 10/21/10 04:48 PM Re: One-yr old's brithday party Retired DQ
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

It's a long story, but it is Ed's nephew and we are the only family he has, so we are going for him, not the kid, per se.

translation: they have Tanq and let me smoke in the house

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2