Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1455554 - 10/15/10 12:55 AM Collection Notice
HubbaBubba Offline
Gold Star
Due to the shortened Reg CC holds for local checks (2 days), we are seriously considering sending checks for collection. Does anyone out there have a collection form (which is sent to the drawee bank) that they would be willing to share?

Thanks!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1456448 - 10/18/10 07:58 PM Re: Collection Notice HubbaBubba
HubbaBubba Offline
Gold Star
I would like to re-iterate this to all of you out there - does anyone have any samples??

Thanks!!

Return to Top
#1456509 - 10/18/10 08:46 PM Re: Collection Notice HubbaBubba
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
We do not send checks for collection.

Return to Top
#1458100 - 10/21/10 06:53 PM Re: Collection Notice Doug Hendrickson
kiemo Offline
Gold Star
kiemo
MidUS
As Internal Auditor, I have recommended this (sending in for collection as opposed to reliance on a hold and pray) for a couple of years and will continue to suggest the benefit of this on those check items that are 'sketchy'. When there has not yet been a loss or any material amount, this is hard for operation's to undertand. However, I would feel negligent to remain mute on this as it is more a matter of time and I believe that 'we haven't had a problem with this' is just not a good control over the risk of potential loss.

Return to Top
#1458106 - 10/21/10 06:56 PM Re: Collection Notice kiemo
kiemo Offline
Gold Star
kiemo
MidUS
A brief letter request is all that is needed, asking the f.i. to please hold the check until funds become available or until X amount of time has expired and return to you in the pre paid, pre addressed envelop enclosed.... (Be sure to keep a copy, front and back)

Return to Top
#1458122 - 10/21/10 07:07 PM Re: Collection Notice HubbaBubba
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I'm old enough to remember sending items for collection...it's a pain.

Your letter should be written with a precise understanding of how the process is meant to work. In the 30+ years since I was a teller the number of bankers who understand what's required at both ends of the pipeline has dwindled to the level of an endangered species. If you develop the perfect letter it's likely the reader at the other end will be scratching her head & saying, "What it the devil is she talking about?"

Return to Top
#1458166 - 10/21/10 07:47 PM Re: Collection Notice Elwood P. Dowd
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
We used to get ours from a banking forms company. They were multi-part forms with copies for everyone (rainbow of colors). Maybe you can google to find a forms company.

Return to Top
#1458532 - 10/22/10 04:33 PM Re: Collection Notice BrendaC
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
are you charging a fee for the collection? The only collections we usually see (even these are rare) are for NSF items. If the funds are good, we take a fee and send a cashier's check for the balance.

Return to Top
#1459031 - 10/25/10 04:49 PM Re: Collection Notice madukes
kiemo Offline
Gold Star
kiemo
MidUS
Same here.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett