Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1457414 - 10/20/10 05:35 PM 2011 vaca - Yellowstone???
Trees Offline
Power Poster
A couple months ago we scurried last minute to arrange our vacation. Ended up in Az, which we loved. We are now looking at Yellowstone and nearby. Actually trying to get all the info etc. in place way ahead of time rather than last minute. Imagine! Would love to hear from those of you that have been there in recent times....looking st September but it looks like it may be on the cool side....not a deal breaker, but...I get enough of that in the East already. Let the comments, recommendations etc begin!!!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1457418 - 10/20/10 05:44 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? Trees
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Guard your pic-i-nic baskets from Yogi Bear!

Return to Top
#1457434 - 10/20/10 05:55 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? Snow Bunny
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
That would be Jellystone, Poobers... laugh

Return to Top
#1457438 - 10/20/10 05:57 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? Retired DQ
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
frown

BooBoo?

Return to Top
#1457451 - 10/20/10 06:05 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? Snow Bunny
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Hey Booboobear... laugh

Return to Top
#1457452 - 10/20/10 06:06 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? Snow Bunny
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
Trees, I haven't been to Yellowstone since I was 5 years old, so I can't give you my direct advice. But, my parents went about 5 years ago, in September, and loved it. It was cool in mornings and evenings but not unbearably so.

My husband's sister and her family went to Yellowstone this past summer on their way from their home in Utah to visit family here in Indiana. They were somewhat disappointed. They didn't see much wildlife, and didn't think it lived up to the hype. Perhaps they have been spoiled by all the spectacular scenery, parks, etc. near them in Utah.

Return to Top
#1457460 - 10/20/10 06:12 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? Snow Bunny
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Just remember that Yellowstone is actually the mouth of a volcano that has had a dozen eruptions so large that they are classified as supereruptions. Look up Yellowstone Supervolcano or YEllowstone Caldera. Those bubbles and steam coming out of the ground come up for a reason. Have a nice trip.

Return to Top
#1457461 - 10/20/10 06:13 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? Hoosierland
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
I have never been there but my son-in-law and his father went several years ago right after Christmas if you can imagine. There was several feet of snow and they camped in the back of the pickup truck. They had a wonderful time and talked about how beautiful everything was.

Return to Top
#1457468 - 10/20/10 06:18 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? Ready to Retire
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
PM me if you want to hear my son's grizzly bear encounter at Yellowstone a couple of years ago. I want to go there some day myself.

Return to Top
#1457517 - 10/20/10 07:01 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? Skittles
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I spent some time camping there as a kid, maybe 1st grade. I have great memories! I hope to take my kids soon, but my daughter refuses to camp.

Return to Top
#1457527 - 10/20/10 07:09 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? RR Jen
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Smart Girl! wink

Return to Top
#1457534 - 10/20/10 07:13 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? Snow Bunny
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
We spent a short time in Yellowstone last summer (July). Didn't see much wildlife, but didn't go off the main road much either. It was as beautiful as I remembered from when my dad took us there as kids. That was probably 20 some years ago? We spent 2 weeks camping in different areas of the park. It was a blast. Woke up one morning to a buffalo right next to our tent. We all stayed very still until he went away. My dad was outside taking pictures and telling us to be quiet! I have a lot of great memories from that trip.

Return to Top
#1457709 - 10/20/10 11:37 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? #12
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: #12
Woke up one morning to a buffalo right next to our tent. We all stayed very still until he went away.

You could have had free buffalo wings! laugh

Return to Top
#1457811 - 10/21/10 01:59 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? GuitarDude
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I went to Yellowstone as a small child, and I only remember Old Faithful. Other than that, no big deal.

Have you ever thought about a vacation in Kentucky? They have some really need caverns, lakes, and such.

Return to Top
#1457816 - 10/21/10 02:03 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? B_F
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Yes we do. Mammoth Cave is about 30 minutes north of where I live and has the longest underground system in the country. I've been on one tour since I've been here, but they do have several.

However, do what you want to do. There are always other options, but maybe only one place that really calls to you.

Return to Top
#1457844 - 10/21/10 02:33 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? Skittles
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
That's the most marvelous thing about the United States. No matter where you go, there is always something else worth seeing in our country. A lot of people miss the really amazing things in their own back yard. I did Mammoth Cave a while back, and it's a little bit of a trip, but it was really interesting. Cincinnati has the Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge within a couple hours that was really interesting too, and lots of vineyards in the Indianapolis area too. Not to mention places like Fort Ancient and the Great Serpent Mound. Day trips rock!

Return to Top
#1458026 - 10/21/10 05:56 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? Trees
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
We spent a week at Yellowstone two summers ago. Rented a cabin from Paradise Gateway B&B in Emigrant, MT - maybe 25 miles north of the NW entrance, right on the Yellowstone River. It was a no-agenda vacation - we came & went as the mood took us.

This was at the end of July. The roads can get pretty congested, with tourists as well as bison. It seemed to be less so mid-week...weekends were much busier. Plan ahead if you want hotel-type lodging in the park; or if you want to attend the chuckwagon dinner from Roosevelt. Also, when its warmer out the animals are less active during the day - you have a much better chance of seeing wildlife early in the morning or closer to dusk.

Definitely go. And take a camera.

Return to Top
#1458046 - 10/21/10 06:12 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? B_F
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
<--------Lives 90 miles north of YNP, and this picture is of the Hayden Valley in springtime. The Park is beautiful any time of year, but the summer tourist crush can make things tedious. It is a large park, and you have several options for things to see, from wildlife to geysers, a huge canyon and waterfall, or valleys and the Lake - there are several different aspects.

Yellowstone Lake is indeed over a gigantic caldera. Doomsdayers love to speculate about when it will blow. All I know is that it was the only disaster scenario in our business continuity plan that didn't have recovery options. When it goes, there'll be little for us to recover! shocked wink

September would be a lovely month to visit. Spring can be muddy, (but late spring has great fly-fishing), summer is crowded, and winter is very cold. Autumn is beautiful! If you are willing to tolerate the cold, winter is actually my favorite time. Take a old-fashioned (heated) snow coach tour through the pristine, crisp air and shush your way through herds of buffalo in a glittering winter wonderland like no other.

Whatever you do - don't get too close to the buffalo while on foot! Those beasties can run up to 30 mph and WILL gore you! crazy Oh, and don't skinnydip in any hot pools.... it'll blister your pink parts! Those pools are scalding hot -- and sulfuric. cry

Have fun! laugh

Return to Top
#1458224 - 10/21/10 08:43 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? RebekahL CRCM
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Wow, I like the responses I am getting. Fall it is. We live in the East. I never visited any place oustide of the Eastern seaboard. I told my husband I don't want to wait until we are retired and can't move, etc. Even now I kinda wish we went when we were a bit younger. Ky sounds great. Heck, every state has something to offer if you take the time to look. We're just looking at the west for the next few years......

Keep the comments coming!

Return to Top
#1458235 - 10/21/10 08:49 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? RebekahL CRCM
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: RebekahL CRCM
Oh, and don't skinnydip in any hot pools.... it'll blister your pink parts! Those pools are scalding hot -- and sulfuric. cry Have fun! laugh

This sounds like an oopsie from experience!

Return to Top
#1458399 - 10/22/10 02:18 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? RR Jen
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Try to saty at the Old Faithful Inn if possible. It is and extraordinary place and is right next to the geyser. The entire park is one of the most unique places on earth! Good luck!

Return to Top
#1459046 - 10/25/10 05:18 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? Bankbb1, PITA
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Trees, I was in yellowstone in September myself and the weather was very interesting. In some areas we were in it was warm enough for shorts and it was snowing in others. There was a ton of animal activity. It was by far my favorite vacation!!

Return to Top
#1459067 - 10/25/10 05:44 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? kms
Trees Offline
Power Poster
KMS, may I ask where you stayed or did you go camping?

Return to Top
#1460253 - 10/27/10 06:31 PM Re: 2011 vaca - Yellowstone??? Trees
SeaZee Offline
New Poster
Yellowstone is probably my favorite place, ever! It's been two years since my last visit. Get a book on day hikes and get off the 'beaten path' and you will be amazed. There are 500 million year old fossilized redwoods on Specimen Ridge (but that's a tough hike). You can hike up to view the Grand Prismatic from the back side, much easier. Or take Fire Hole Canyon Drive and enjoy amazing Yellowstone from your car! You have a lot of time to plan, do some research and it will pay off in a lifetime of memories!

Return to Top