Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1459510 - 10/26/10 03:31 PM Flood insurance on MH & xtra land
MaryRink Offline
Gold Star
Northern MN
We have a HPML on a mobile home that is in a trailer court. We have taken a 40 acre parcel of raw land as additional security. We are required to escrow insurance and Personal property taxes on the mobile home. Do we also need to escrow for the taxes on the 40 acre parcel of land?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1459516 - 10/26/10 03:42 PM Re: Flood insurance on MH & xtra land MaryRink
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
There is no regulatory guidance on this as of yet that I'm aware of and recently I have seen a couple of opinions posted that 226.35 would require taxes on the 40 acres to be escrowed based on the following.

(3) Escrows--(i) Failure to escrow for property taxes and insurance. Except as provided in paragraph (b)(3)(ii) of this section, a creditor may not extend a loan secured by a first lien on a principal dwelling unless an escrow account is established before consummation for payment of property taxes and premiums for mortgage-related insurance required by the creditor, such as insurance against loss of or damage to property, or against liability arising out of the ownership or use of the property, or insurance protecting the creditor against the consumer's default or other credit loss.

However based on the following from the Commentary:

1. Section 226.35(b)(3) applies to principal dwellings, . .

I have taken the stance that you only need to escrow for the items directly associated with the primary dwelling.

Return to Top
#1459521 - 10/26/10 03:46 PM Re: Flood insurance on MH & xtra land Dan Persfull
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I agree, but I'm confused on the heading of this thread and it's relevance to the question. crazy

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1459529 - 10/26/10 03:53 PM Re: Flood insurance on MH & xtra land RR Joker
MaryRink Offline
Gold Star
Northern MN
Sorry about the heading, I was working on a flood insurance issue and forgot to switch gears.

My question is only about escrowing the taxes on the additional bare land.

I don't think we would need to escrow for the taxes on the bare land, only on the principal dwelling. Just wanted to get your opinions. Thanks.

Return to Top
#1459532 - 10/26/10 03:57 PM Re: Flood insurance on MH & xtra land MaryRink
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
laugh Okay, now that's funny! Amazing how compliance minds get "overworked" and "multitasked".

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z