Skip to content
GeoDataVision
Thread Options
#1467258 - 11/12/10 06:19 PM Verification of name & SSN combination
ABT Offline
I recently listened to a webinar by Ken Golliher for "CTR Form Completion". He mentioned that on the IRS.gov website, there is a way to search for a verification of a name and TIN combination. I have visited the IRS's website and cannot find this matching service. I believe Ken said to search for "e services". When I do that, there is a link for tax professionals, but I cannot register as a tax professional to use that service. Can you please provide to me where to locate this service at?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1467262 - 11/12/10 06:34 PM Re: Verification of name & SSN combination ABT
Juby Offline
100 Club

Return to Top
#1467279 - 11/12/10 07:04 PM Re: Verification of name & SSN combination ABT
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
You were on the right path. The link provided will take you back. The version of e-services you are looking for is:

Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) MatchingTIN Matching is a pre-filing service offered to payers and/or authorized agents who submit any of six information returns subject to backup withholding (Forms 1099-B, INT, DIV, OID, PATR, and MISC). With Interactive TIN Matching authorized payers can match up to 25 payee TIN and name combinations against IRS records prior to submitting an information return. Bulk TIN Matching allows payers and/or authorized agents filing any of the six information returns to match up to 100,000 TIN and name combinations. In order to participate in TIN Matching, payers must be listed in the IRS Payer Account File (PAF) database. If your firm has not filed information returns with the IRS in one of the past two tax years, the application will not be available to you at this time.

Return to Top
#1467330 - 11/12/10 08:04 PM Re: Verification of name & SSN combination Juby
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I registered as a representative for our Bank. Since the Bank files 1099-INTs and 10998s, a representative is allowed to use this service.

We check all new deposit accounts and loans just to ensure that the TIN/SSN/EIN we were given is correct. I've found it better to find any problems sooner rather than later. The b****h is that I'm still working on contacting account holders for whom we've already received the CP-2100 or penalty form.

Return to Top
#1467336 - 11/12/10 08:15 PM Re: Verification of name & SSN combination Doug Hendrickson
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"I registered as a representative for our Bank. Since the Bank files 1099-INTs and 10998s, a representative is allowed to use this service."

That is not a entirely true statement. You are only allowed to use the service if the customer is going to be subject to information reporting. A non-interest bearing deposit account or a loan that is not secured by real estate does not trigger information reporting and you cannot use the service to check on those individuals.

Return to Top
#1467376 - 11/12/10 09:28 PM Re: Verification of name & SSN combination rlcarey
Underthebus Offline
texas
Who would know the difference?
The account relationship may start with a non interest bearing account, but usually through cross selling it is very likely that the customer may be subject to information reporting later. If the number is not verified at account opening (CIP); it may be likely not to be verified at all. CIP happens once at account opening) Better safe than sorry?

Return to Top
#1467382 - 11/12/10 09:40 PM Re: Verification of name & SSN combination Underthebus
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The IRS doesn't give a "tinker's you know what" about a Bank that is using their TIN matching system as a part of thier CIP process. The rules are very clear, including those found in the certification that has to be signed prior to be granting access to the system.

Return to Top
#1467395 - 11/12/10 09:49 PM Re: Verification of name & SSN combination Underthebus
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I agree with Randy. The system should be used only when it is an interest-bearing account for which a 1099-INT will be required or a loan which requires the filing ofa 1098. It's major use for me is to eliminate or at least minimize the number of accounts on the CP-2100 (and the subsequent penalties when we don't do anything about it).

Return to Top
#1467401 - 11/12/10 09:57 PM Re: Verification of name & SSN combination Doug Hendrickson
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I had originaly thought about another use for the system and as Rlcarey stated the rule and the certification were abundantly clear.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1467409 - 11/12/10 10:10 PM Re: Verification of name & SSN combination edAudit
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Only to make it a quartet... The customer must have an account; i.e. you cannot run the name/TIN combination prior to account opening. The account must be subject to information reporting; you are reporting interest paid (deposit) or interest received (loan to an individual secured by real estate).

I don't know what the IRS would do if they found out you were misusing the system. I would not care to find out, but others may be curious...

Return to Top
#1469469 - 11/17/10 09:34 PM Re: Verification of name & SSN combination Elwood P. Dowd
CompliKat Offline
CompliKat
So, If I suspect that a SSN does not belong to an individual who applied for a car loan that we denied, but the credit report alerted me that the SSN may belong to another....I should NOT use the IRS system :-) Darn!!!! I'm having a small rash of this type of activity from one area where there a lot of agricultural interests. The individuals in question are not US citizens.... Many have ITINs which I have no idea how to verify... Too bad TIN verification couldn't be easier!

Return to Top
#1469987 - 11/18/10 06:11 PM Re: Verification of name & SSN combination CompliKat
jade1234 Offline
Medford, Oregon
Is there an IRS publication that specifically references the types of Name/TIN combination that can be submitted?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z