Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1472668 - 11/24/10 09:46 PM Blocking Countries due to Debit Card Fraud
MHuff Offline
100 Club
MHuff
LA
We have elected to block debit card transactions for all but 10 countries because of the increased amount of debit card fraud. The list of countries that are not blocked is subject to change at any time. When notifying our customers that we have blocked countries, are we required to list the ones that have not been blocked? Or is it acceptable to state that certain countries have been restricted and to contact the bank for more information? Given the fact that the list of blocked countries can change at any time, having to re-disclose could be a common occurrence. I realize that it seems appropriate to provide the list, but I don't want to cause undue burden for disclosures. Any thoughts?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1472747 - 11/24/10 11:38 PM Re: Blocking Countries due to Debit Card Fraud MHuff
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You might want to check the operating rules for the type of card you issue. There is no Federal requirement that this be disclosed. I for one, found this out the hard way as I travel out of the country on a regular basis and imagine my surprise when I couldn't use my debt card in an ATM in Canada and the fact that they blocked any countries was a real surprise to me. Needless to say I quickly changed banks.

Return to Top
#1472771 - 11/25/10 02:39 AM Re: Blocking Countries due to Debit Card Fraud rlcarey
OldTeller Offline
100 Club
I think that's kind of overkill anyway. I hate it when I travel, and I get treated like some kind of bum because my card is always declined.

Return to Top
#1472789 - 11/26/10 01:00 PM Re: Blocking Countries due to Debit Card Fraud OldTeller
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
We have the following on our website and something similar on bank statements:

Planning a Trip Outside the United States?
To further protect our Check/Debit Card holders,(bank name)has implemented new procedures for card holders traveling outside the United States. To use your Check/Debit card while traveling abroad, You Must contact our Electronic Banking experts at (phone number)prior to your trip. This applies only to Check/Debit cards. ATM and credit card users need not contact us before travel abroad.

While we know this is an added step in the busy days before a trip, making this call will ensure uninterrupted use of your card and access to your money while you travel.
Last edited by jcaldwell; 11/26/10 01:03 PM.
Return to Top
#1472975 - 11/26/10 08:33 PM Re: Blocking Countries due to Debit Card Fraud NotDoneYet
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
When we block countries, we only do it for periods of time waiting for the fraud to pass.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z