Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1473340 - 11/29/10 08:19 PM Facebook/ What do I need to get started?
Moon River Offline
New Poster
Ohio
Our institution is looking into getting on facebook. Can anyone give me advice on what we should have in place before we start. Should we have some type of policy in place?
Last edited by Moon River; 11/29/10 08:27 PM.
Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1473374 - 11/29/10 08:53 PM Re: Facebook/ What do I need to get started? Moon River
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Whether or not your bank gets on Facebook, you should already have language in your employee policy regarding their use of social media.

Before you launch the bank's site, do a risk assessment and develop procedures to control the site. Think through the reputation and compliance risks. Who in the bank can post? What will be posted? Do the persons in the bank responsible for the site fully understand how to control the site, e.g privacy settings, restricting outside posts, etc.

You have to control this so that you don't get a lender posting, "Our 30 year rate is just 4%!" or Joe Schmoe posting a tirade about his ex-wife who happens to be a teller. Be sure someone monitors the site continually.

A local ice cream shop learn about facebook and reputation risk the hard way. The owner offended some high school kids in the shop. They started a facebook campaign against the store, posting on the stores FB page, and the owner has said business dropped substantially.

While one topic of social media, has everyone searched Yelp.com for your bank? It's a rapidly growing site with reviews of all types of businesses. Someone posted a glowing review of one of our competitors, including photos. But many review can be viciously negative.

Return to Top
#1473608 - 11/30/10 02:55 PM Re: Facebook/ What do I need to get started? MyBrainHurts
this is it Offline
Does anyone have any recommended tools for monitoring the Bank's name on facebook, twitter, blogs, etc...?

Return to Top
#1473631 - 11/30/10 03:20 PM Re: Facebook/ What do I need to get started? MyBrainHurts
Moon River Offline
New Poster
Ohio
Thanks for the information!

Return to Top
#1473668 - 11/30/10 03:54 PM Re: Facebook/ What do I need to get started? this is it
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Originally Posted By: this is it
Does anyone have any recommended tools for monitoring the Bank's name on facebook, twitter, blogs, etc...?

The one thing I use is Google Alerts. I get an email whenever Google finds our name. Today, for example, I got an alert from Google about something on Yahoo Finance.

The easiest way to get started is to google "Google Alerts." It's far from perfect, but it's a start. It has never, however, notified me of anything on facebook or twitter, but it does find blog posts.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z