Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#147383 - 01/08/04 09:33 PM Review Outside Auditing Firms
mkraus Offline
New Poster
mkraus
San Diego
My Audit Committee has requested that I get new proposals and risk ratings from a couple of other firms. We have been using the same firm for 2 years now and have received good results from our examiners. Is there somewhere that states that audit firms should be reviewed for due diligence every so often? We are considered a samll bank.

Return to Top
Audit
#147384 - 01/09/04 04:41 AM Re: Review Outside Auditing Firms
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Assuming you are privately held, there is no requirement to change audit firms. In fact, you may find it cost prohibitive jumping firms every few years. Sarbanes-Oxley recommends a review and a change in the audit partner every 10 years (I believe, can't check since I am at home). We require a change in audit partners and the audit manager every 5 years.

Return to Top
#147385 - 01/09/04 02:45 PM Re: Review Outside Auditing Firms
Risk Officer Offline
100 Club
Dallas
Changing external auditors frequently is a red flag to outsiders and many times indicates disagreements between the two parties. You might suggest that the audit partner / manager be rotated periodically (every 4-5 years) just to keep the auditors from becomming complacent and the audits stale. I have seen that first hand. Fresh eyes add value. Don't change too frequently, however, or you will spend too much time "training" the new person.

It is also a good idea to use an auditor that does a significant number of other banks...this gives them insight that can perhaps add value to you.

Return to Top
#147386 - 01/09/04 03:52 PM Re: Review Outside Auditing Firms
mkraus Offline
New Poster
mkraus
San Diego
Thank you both very much for your thougts

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z