Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#14746 - 04/03/02 08:17 PM Lending Questions
Mom of Boys Offline
Mom of Boys
Maryland
Can we give coupons or gift certificates to our loan customers as a mailing or at settlement to some of the business establishments that are our customers?
Can we offer a different rate other than our standard rate for a specific direct mail loan campaign (i.e. Customers who receive this direct mail letter can get a loan at 7%, but anyone who walks in the door will get 7.25%).
I have been asked these questions and did not find anything in this forum, any thoughts, comments, problems?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#14747 - 04/03/02 08:52 PM Re: Lending Questions
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The coupon idea is OK unless you are talking RESPA and settlement services.

Yes, special delivery methods and campaigns can have different rates so long as there is no discriminatory practice. That is, don't do a mailer to the country club members about a great deal if their membership is not representative of your customers demographics. I'd justify the offer in a business case proposal and retain it.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#14748 - 04/04/02 12:59 PM Re: Lending Questions
Mom of Boys Offline
Mom of Boys
Maryland
Thank you Andy, the coupons from what I am understanding is for local area resturants.

Return to Top
#14749 - 04/04/02 02:29 PM Re: Lending Questions
Howard Lax Offline
Gold Star
Howard Lax
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
There are informal opinions from HUD under RESPA collected in the Barron & Berenson publication, "Federal Regulation of Real Estate and Mortgage Lending" by West Publishing that state that a lender can give a discount to its customer to get that cutomer's business, but not for referring others to the lender.

Return to Top
#14750 - 04/04/02 07:26 PM Re: Lending Questions
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
If the coupons are intended to reach consumers, Reg. Z's advertising rules will apply:
- rates must be quoted as APRs,
- trigger terms require an advertising disclosure, and
- expiration dates should be stated to avoid "bait & switch" (terms & conditions not actually available.)

Return to Top