Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1458245 - 10/21/10 09:14 PM SAFE Act Fingerprinting
mbernard Offline
100 Club
we are trying to budget for fingerprinting and background checks for the SAFE Act. Does anyone know for sure, are we just submitting the fignerprints and the Registery will be conducting the Background check? Or are we conducting the background check and submitting them to the Registry.

From reading 761.103 (d)(1)(ix) it seems that we just have to submit the fingerprints.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks!

Return to Top
S.A.F.E. Act Forum
#1458988 - 10/25/10 03:39 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting mbernard
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Yes. After the MLO's information is submitted to the Registry, they will be fingerprinted (right now MLOs must use specified vendors, but that may change when banks are able to access the system). The Registry will forward the personal info and the fingerprints once doe to the FBI for background checks.

See this link for more info on proposed pricing:

http://mortgage.nationwidelicensingsyste...stry%20Fees.pdf

See this link for existing procedures for background checks:

http://mortgage.nationwidelicensingsystem.org/profreq/background/Pages/default.aspx

Return to Top
#1471554 - 11/23/10 03:25 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting Dani York, CRCM
Will B Offline
Gold Star
Where can we get information on who are the specified vendors for fingerprinting?

Return to Top
#1471580 - 11/23/10 03:40 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting Will B
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
We don't know that "specific" will remain for FI employees...currently, it's under your state's guidelines.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1473067 - 11/28/10 07:50 AM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting RR Joker
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Anyone else getting the popcorn and beer ready for when this train wreck rolls out?

I think the system is going to be overwhelmed. I know a lot of institutions are erring on the side of caution and getting anyone registered if they talk to a customer or member. The Information Security aspect is going to be a nightmare - IMHO.

I can't wait until employees have to tell customers or members "I'm sorry but I cannot talk to you about a mortgage loan or HELOC because I'm not registered with the government. The gal/guy who is registered is at lunch right now and has 20 calls to return when she/he gets back."

Return to Top
#1476378 - 12/06/10 04:08 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting Princess Romeo
beegee Offline
Diamond Poster
South
Does the SAFE act require all 10 fingerprints?

Return to Top
#1476460 - 12/06/10 05:34 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting beegee
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Yes. It calls for submission of a standard fingerprint set, which for most individuals includes 10 separate prints.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1510332 - 02/15/11 06:17 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting John Burnett
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
Has anyone else noticed how incredibly restrictive the fingerprinting process is? Holy moly, am I missing something? Here is what I have so far. They will only send in a team to do a group print if you have 30 or more and they have to come from New Jersey and you have to pay for the flights, rental cars and hotel rooms for these people. Otherwise you can have the MLOs go to the site themselves (in our case it is about a half hours drive)and get printed. Or they will send kits out to police depts as long as the MLO lives at least 35 miles away from the site and that is done on a case by case basis. I was just hoping I could order a bunch of kits or have the PD come in and fingerprint all of the MLOs at once to make it easiest as possible on them and on me. No such luck there. What is everyone doing regarding this situation?

Return to Top
#1510381 - 02/15/11 07:14 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting Bec
Cats Offline
100 Club
Cats
Florida
We only had two to register so we let them make their own appointments at the live scan site.

Return to Top
#1510426 - 02/15/11 08:37 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting Cats
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
Anyone else having issues with the fingerprinting? I don't know about you all but to me it is a logistical nightmare to get my MLO's to schedule an appointment and travel the 30+ minutes to the site to get their fingerprints. I know I know, if they value their jobs, they'll get it done. But I know from experience that the easier I make it for them the less headaches I am going to suffer from.

Return to Top
#1511112 - 02/16/11 10:28 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting Bec
Comply 101 Offline
Platinum Poster
Comply 101
Our process is going to be very easy.
1. Tell them where to go.
2. Give them a deadline.

How hard is that?

Return to Top
#1512387 - 02/18/11 08:49 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting Comply 101
elebra Offline
100 Club
The closest live site for us is over an hour away and we have 8 MLOs. Any suggestions??

Return to Top
#1512397 - 02/18/11 08:53 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting elebra
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Send them in two or more separate trips (so you still have coverage) and pay the mileage costs. It's a business trip. Give them a deadline.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1513013 - 02/22/11 07:22 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting Cats
RobinB Offline
Gold Star
RobinB
Maryland
Originally Posted By: Cats
We only had two to register so we let them make their own appointments at the live scan site.

We only had 3 and had no problem going to the sites--each was within a 30 minute drive.

Return to Top
#1513017 - 02/22/11 07:25 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting RobinB
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Has there been any more clarification on what places ARE acceptable sites for fingerprinting? Local police and/or sheriff's offices, for example?

Return to Top
#1513020 - 02/22/11 07:29 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting raitchjay
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
2. Use the existing national network of approved livescan and cardprint sites.
NMLS has developed a nationwide network of approved Livescan and paper card fingerprint sites, administered by NMLS’ fingerprinting vendor, Fieldprint. After providing necessary demographic information, authorizing and paying for the background check in NMLS, mortgage loan originators are directed to the Fieldprint scheduling site to schedule an appointment at one of over 700 Livescan locations where fingerprints can be captured and submitted electronically. If none of these sites are geographically convenient to an MLO, a visit can be scheduled at one of more than 6,000 local police departments where fingerprints can be taken on cards provided to the MLO by Fieldprint and then mailed to Fieldprint for scanning and submission to NMLS. See Livescan Locations.

Return to Top
#1513024 - 02/22/11 07:33 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting #Just Jay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Thanks Jay.

Return to Top
#1513036 - 02/22/11 07:44 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting raitchjay
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I am guessing more info on obtaining cards and which departments may be acceptable will be provided once you get to that point in the process, hopefully.

I see OK only has two sites... not sure where you are in OK, but could one of the surrounding states have a closer location for prints perhaps?

Also, I notice by the listing they contine to add sites... couple of weeks ago, Milwaukee had only one site, they now have three it appears.

Return to Top
#1513061 - 02/22/11 08:12 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting #Just Jay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I guess I'm thinking it won't be that much of a hardship (and really, easier) to just have them get fingerprinted at the local police station. Yeah, OKC and Tulsa and those make no sense. A closer site in Texas, but not by much (except for our branch in TX). What would be the negatives of just using the police station? I might add....it's not like we're registering a herd of people......somewhere in the 15-25 range.
Last edited by raitchjay; 02/22/11 08:12 PM.

Return to Top
#1513065 - 02/22/11 08:16 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting raitchjay
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Not much... just a slight increase in your costs (or not possibly leveraged against paying your MLOs milage to drive elsewhere), and a slightly longer processing time I suppose.

I thought there was a 50 mile rule, but I cannot seemt o find it now.

Return to Top
#1513084 - 02/22/11 08:34 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting #Just Jay
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
If none of these sites are geographically convenient to an MLO, a visit can be scheduled at one of more than 6,000 local police departments where fingerprints can be taken on cards provided to the MLO by Fieldprint and then mailed to Fieldprint for scanning and submission to NMLS. See Livescan Locations.

I was told by a Fieldprint representative that they will only send the cards if the people requesting them live more than 35 miles away from a livescan site and only on a case by case basis.

Return to Top
#1513105 - 02/22/11 08:47 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting Bec
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
So, you have to get the cards sent to you THEN go to the fingerprinting site? (assuming the Fieldprint sites aren't feasible)

Return to Top
#1513107 - 02/22/11 08:48 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting raitchjay
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
The way I understood it was that they send the cards to the site i.e. the police department.

Return to Top
#1513117 - 02/22/11 08:52 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Struggling to find a phone number for Fieldprint on the NMLS site....anybody got one for them?
Last edited by raitchjay; 02/22/11 08:53 PM.

Return to Top
#1513121 - 02/22/11 08:54 PM Re: SAFE Act Fingerprinting raitchjay
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
But we have to contact them in advance to get the cards sent to wherever we're gonna get the fingerprinting done, BEFORE anybody from our institution actually shows up to get fingerprinted, right?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett