Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1479479 - 12/13/10 03:27 AM Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
What do I get my 8 year old niece for Christmas this year? She doesn't have a list this year and I know nothing about 8 y/o girls. Her mom mentioned earring (pierced) but what kind is suitable for her? Maybe a toy or game? Help!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1479486 - 12/13/10 05:13 AM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls HRH Okie Banker
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
I just bought the game Farkle as a gift for someone and it is recommended for ages 8 and up. Or perhaps another board game or electronic hand-held version like Yahtzee...

Return to Top
#1479490 - 12/13/10 01:03 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls GuitarDude
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Okie, do you have a Clare's around you? Or another accessories sort of place? Perhaps a gift card would work? Or I'd assume a place like that would be able to give you ideas.

I have a 10 year old niece and I remember giving her a Clare's card when she was about 8. Now, she could care less about earrings.

Return to Top
#1479509 - 12/13/10 02:00 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls NotPerfect
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Small Earrings

Monopoly, Scrabble, Life, Uno, etc....

You can never go wrong with stuffed animals.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1479510 - 12/13/10 02:01 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls HRH Okie Banker
Peepers Offline
10K Club
a pony

Return to Top
#1479512 - 12/13/10 02:03 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls Peepers
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Football tickets so she can take daddy.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1479537 - 12/13/10 02:34 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls edAudit
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Thanks everyone. I never thought about a Claire's gift card. She could pick out her own earrings that way.

She already has a horse.

EdAudit - If I'm buying football tickets (which would be OSU) they will be for me! grin

Return to Top
#1479544 - 12/13/10 02:46 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls HRH Okie Banker
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Mom of 7 year old, will that work?

Claire's gift card would be perfect because then she can't pick out the earings with mom, lik you said. The girls are very into the dangly earings right now. Just got my daughter a pair with gingerbread girls on them smile Clarie's has a section with TONS of fun, little girl, earings, all of them made for sensitive ears, too.

A $10 card will get her 2-3 pairs depending on the type. (We just used one there for my daughter's birthday).

Return to Top
#1479553 - 12/13/10 02:55 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls HRH Okie Banker
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
My daughter is 7.5. smile I would get her a small pair of earrings - check Amazon, they have some good deals right now. Other possibilities - craft kits (Michaels & JoAnn's have coupons each week in the Sunday paper for 20 - 40% off); an EZ Bake Oven; and if she likes dolls, the Lalaloopsy dolls are the 'big' thing this year - for an 8yo, I'd get a couple of the mini ones, or one mini & a playset.

I would NOT get a stuffed animal - if it's anything like our house, we have more stuffies than we know what to do with!

Return to Top
#1479567 - 12/13/10 03:22 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls E.E.G.B
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Love the Claire's idea. May do it for my own 8 yr old grangirl.

She likes crafts and designing so I got her a Project Runway designer kit with the light up desk. I remember having something similar as a kid and loving it.

Return to Top
#1479595 - 12/13/10 03:47 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls E.E.G.B
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
My daughter is 7.5. smile I would get her a small pair of earrings

Really EGB? Earrings?

My daughter is 9 and wants a Lalaloopsy doll with blue hair. Apparently the toy hoarders have bought all of those and are selling them for inflated prices. A gift card to Claire's is a good idea.

Return to Top
#1479616 - 12/13/10 04:00 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls Dazed Auditor
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: Dazed Auditor
Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
My daughter is 7.5. smile I would get her a small pair of earrings

Really EGB? Earrings?

My daughter is 9 and wants a Lalaloopsy doll with blue hair. Apparently the toy hoarders have bought all of those and are selling them for inflated prices. A gift card to Claire's is a good idea.

Well not MY daughter - you know the earring thing hasn't happened yet here. I meant for the original poster's niece, whose mother suggested earrings. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I think those Lalaloopsy dolls are cute - I like the one with pink hair and stripey PJs.

Return to Top
#1479645 - 12/13/10 04:16 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls E.E.G.B
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
My niece is not into dolls and never has been. Webkinz - yes. She loved those but never dolls. She's a tomboy.

So a Claire's gift card is hands down the winner. Thanks for the help.

Return to Top
#1479685 - 12/13/10 04:57 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls HRH Okie Banker
CheshireAliCat Offline
100 Club
NJ
Earrings are great, but 7-8 is a great age where they still want to spend time with you, (just before they get "too cool..."

We bought my daughter (7.5) tickets to see a show with the parent/grandparent of her choosing to the local theater. (We're lucky to have some great community theater around here.) She was so excited, it was her best Chanukah ever. smile
Last edited by CheshireAliCat; 12/13/10 04:58 PM. Reason: grammatically 7 years old myself
Return to Top
#1479809 - 12/13/10 07:14 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls CheshireAliCat
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I took both my nieces (then 7 and 18) to see The Wizard of Oz touring production last year - it was a huge hit! We all had a blast. Fancy (well, for a 7 year old) dinner before was a huge hit too - made her feel so grown up.

Return to Top
#1479819 - 12/13/10 07:25 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls Lestie G
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I'm glad someone else brought up gifting experiences. We've been going that way more and more in the last two years. This year all three girls get tickets to go see Popovich Comedy Animal Circus. The middle and younger will just like it for what it is. The 13 yr old will be impressed because all the animals are rescues and she voluteers at a bird sanctuary and the humane society.

For the youngest's bday last week, her godmother (my daugher) gave her a month or two of gymnastics and a new leotard. She's suddenly big into cooking and the one who's got to have GFCF stuff so I got her a donut maker and decorating kit. Then I stocked her up on the ingredients to make GFCF donuts. That dang gluten free flour is sssssooooo expensive! She had mom in the kitchen the next day 'time to make the donuts'. smile

Return to Top
#1479822 - 12/13/10 07:29 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls Lestie G
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I'm an aunt of an 8 y.o. girl. Her gift wish list this year includes Junie B. Jones books, various and sundry Lalaloopsy items, 2 Sing-A-Ma-Jigs, the Play-Doh ice cream shop, American Girl doll clothing & accessories, and earrings.

The year that her older sister was 8, I gave her a Claire's gift card and she bought a couple of pair of earrings with it & was very happy! I'm planning to buy a couple of the toys and give this kiddo a Claire's gift card, too. Hope that helps.

Return to Top
#1479825 - 12/13/10 07:30 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls BurntSienna
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
GFCF = Gluten-Free _____ _____? What does the CF part stand for?

Return to Top
#1479829 - 12/13/10 07:34 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls BurntSienna
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Just got each granddaughter a cake bakery kit complete with fondant to roll out and decorate their little cakes (ages 5, 6, & 8). They all love it. It was under $20.00 at Target.

Return to Top
#1479834 - 12/13/10 07:41 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls BrendaC
Miss Banker Offline
100 Club
I am fan of family game night. That Hedbanz game looks like a lot of fun and is recommended for ages 8 and up.

It is where you put the head band on with a card facing out so everyone else can see and you have to ask a bunch of questions to try and figure out what you are.

I'd totally play it!

Return to Top
#1479838 - 12/13/10 07:44 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls HRH Okie Banker
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: Okie Banker

She already has a horse.

Does she ride regularly? Does she compete in shows, or barrel racing? She might enjoy an accessory that goes with the type of riding she does.

Return to Top
#1479841 - 12/13/10 07:45 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls Princess Romeo
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
or combine those ideas and get her some cute horsey or horseshoe earrings. wink

Return to Top
#1479851 - 12/13/10 08:05 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls BurntSienna
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By: Mulberry
GFCF = Gluten-Free _____ _____? What does the CF part stand for?
Sorry. It's so much a part of my life now I just figure everyone knows. Gf = gluten free. gluten comes from wheat
CF = casin free. Casin is in dairy products.
Littlest gran is allergic to wheat (which includes all white and wheat flour things too), dairy, soy, fish and nuts. Pretty much only fresh meat, fruit and veggies which accounts for her weighing in at only 35 lbs at 4 yrs old.
Crazy little gymnast tho. Already working out with the 6&7 year olds. Keeps it up, she may end up on a cereal box someday just like Mary Lu Retton.

Return to Top
#1479854 - 12/13/10 08:11 PM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls Princess Romeo
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: Princess Romeo
Originally Posted By: Okie Banker

She already has a horse.

Does she ride regularly? Does she compete in shows, or barrel racing? She might enjoy an accessory that goes with the type of riding she does.

Bless her heart - she doesn't have much to do with horses at all anymore. I think she would have gone into barrel racing. Quite a few family members were team-ropers on a small scale.

Then one of the horses bit her face. A horse that had been around for years and been around her for years. They really don't know what happened. She had to get 60 itty bitty stiches in her little face. She has a crescent shape scar just above her jaw line on her left side. I don't know if it was worse for her or for her parent when it happened.

Return to Top
#1480049 - 12/14/10 01:49 AM Re: Calling mom o' 8 y/o girls HRH Okie Banker
Bullseye Offline
Platinum Poster
Bullseye
I have an 8 year old & she would love a Claire's gift card so I think you will be fine with that. She is also getting some board games and items for her American Girl Doll.

Return to Top