Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1481220 - 12/15/10 08:29 PM Does this meet the definition of Refinance?
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
We had several loans to a business customer that were all cross-collateralized with business assets and a single-family home. One of these loans was a LOC for 500,000. The entire loan relationship was just restructured. As part of this restructuring, the majority of the balance on the LOC was converted into a new term loan. Same cross-collateralization (BA and SFH).

Normally I would say yes, this is HMDA-reportable as a refinance. However, the LOC wasn't reduced--the loan officer kept the LOC at 500,000. So I am not sure if this new term loan actually satisfies and replaces the LOC. It seems to satisfy/replace the balance on the LOC, but is that enough to trigger reporting?

Now I am confused as to how to prove one way or the other. Thoughts? Thanks!

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1481254 - 12/15/10 09:01 PM Re: Does this meet the definition of Refinance? manimal
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
The obligation, not the balance, has to be satisfied and replaced by a new obligation. Based on the information you provided the LOC was not satisfied and replaced therefore it would not meet the definition of a refinancing.

If any of the other loans that were secured by the dwelling were satisfied and replaced by this new loan then it would meet the definition.

Return to Top
#1483425 - 12/21/10 04:30 PM Re: Does this meet the definition of Refinance? Dan Persfull
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Thank you so much for your insight, Dan! It is sounding to me like this is not a "refinance" as defined in HMDA.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM