Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1485277 - 12/24/10 02:58 PM Flood insurance
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
I have a situation where we have a home and a detached garage. The home is not in a flood zone but the detached garage is. The loan officer believes that the garage was not included on the appraisal for value. Can we "skip" the flood insurance on the garage since it is not included in the collateral?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1485340 - 12/24/10 03:54 PM Re: Flood insurance Bec
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Just because it wasn't included on the appraisal doesn't mean it is not included in the collateral. That only means it wasn't included in the valuation of your collateral.

More than likely the garage is attached to the real estate, so unless your deed specifically excludes the portion of land that the garage sits on, you have to require flood insurance on it.
Last edited by Dani York; 12/24/10 03:54 PM.

Return to Top
#1485347 - 12/24/10 03:59 PM Re: Flood insurance Dani York, CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
agree with Dani.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1485380 - 12/24/10 04:23 PM Re: Flood insurance RR Joker
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
Good point! Sooo as far as insurance amount, would we have to take the full loan amount in consideration or could we just use the 10% for appurtenant structures (since the house itself is not in the flood zone). I do understand that if the RCV is less than the 10% of the loan amount that we can use that figure (if indeed only 10% applied), but just making sure I have all my bases covered.

Return to Top
#1485395 - 12/24/10 04:36 PM Re: Flood insurance Bec
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
tHE 10% only works when it's going to be part of the house coverage...so you need a policy on the garage based on the normal "whichever is less" factors.

Also, remember if any part of the garage is used for anything else, like a shop..it stands alone regardless of the house (if the house was in the zone)

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1485749 - 12/27/10 05:52 PM Re: Flood insurance RR Joker
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I agree. You need to make a good faith determination of the value of the garage and purchase insurance for this amount (I assume it is the lesser of the loan amount).

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z