Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#1486968 - 12/29/10 06:27 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle RR Sarah
bsa nerd Offline
New Poster
They do carry them, but they are set to demo version, or at least the ones around here are.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1486993 - 12/29/10 06:42 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle bsa nerd
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Our Best Buy has both the Kindle and the Nook out for you to play with. I didn not pay attention to which version they are, though. Maybe JLJ will see this and chime in - I think she picked hers out in-store somewhere.

Return to Top
#1487015 - 12/29/10 07:14 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle RR Becca
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Before I bought my Kindle, we went to Barnes & Noble to look at the Nook. The B & N employee who was supposed to be the expert could not get the thing to work.

Return to Top
#1487028 - 12/29/10 07:30 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle califgirl
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I actually liked the Nook better, but my fear is that B&N will not be around in a year or so, and then how will it be supported, hence why I picked the Kindle.

Return to Top
#1487112 - 12/29/10 08:55 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle #Just Jay
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I went to Best Buy to play with them both. The guy in the store wasnt much help, I got several recommendations from friends. All but one was partial to which ever they chose. One friend had both and loved the kindle. It's more like a black berry, which is what I have. The Nook seems to be more like an iphone.

Return to Top
#1487121 - 12/29/10 09:02 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle RR Jen
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
No BestBuy near me had the Color Nook available in stock before Christmas, and I only found one working demo model. The Best Buy nearest me didn't have a working demo model of any brand of e-reader. The clerk said they were all dead. Best Buy said I could order a Nook and it might be in in a couple weeks. Since I was shopping the Saturday before Christmas, that didn't help much.

I went to B&N, and they had Color Nooks, and people were grabbing them left and right. The two clerks wanted to demo them for anyone that would listen, but everyone kept saying, no thanks, just give me one.

Return to Top
#1487213 - 12/29/10 10:52 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle MyBrainHurts
GoneToTexas Offline
100 Club
Texas
LOVE that it's so small and can hold so much...

HATE that my husband gave it to me and liked it so much I haven't gotten to use it yet...

Return to Top
#1487725 - 12/30/10 09:49 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Peepers
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
I gave my mom the Pandigital for Christmas. It is an ebook reader and runs on Android. Barnes & Noble is the book supplier. Not only can you read and download books, but it is also like a mini ipad, you can get your email and facebook and different apps. It is in color too. The main thing that I liked was for night time reading the screen can be reversed so the background is black and the font is white. So far no complaints from mom....nothing but praises!

Return to Top
#1487960 - 12/31/10 04:44 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle J2C
fun grandma Offline
fun grandma
midwest
After reading this thread makes me want to go by myself sometime of reader. I do most of my reading during by noon break and get frustarted when I forget my book. This sounds like a much better option.
If I would get a kindle which version should I get or what options should I look for?
The pandigital sounds interesting, but also probably more than I'd want to spend.

Return to Top
#1488049 - 12/31/10 05:53 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle fun grandma
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
I found the Kindle DX was a little large to carry around. The Kindle 3's are small enough to fit into my purse so I take it almost everywhere.

I have WiFi at home, so I just got the Kindle 3 WiFi version for $139. You can also find free WiFi all over, at McDonalds, Starbucks, the college stadium, and more and more places all the time.

If you don't have WiFi handy they also have a Kindle 3G WiFi. You can download books anywhere for free, but it costs a little more.

Return to Top
#1488052 - 12/31/10 05:59 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Rie A
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California

Return to Top
#1488069 - 12/31/10 06:21 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle fun grandma
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Originally Posted By: grandma 2
After reading this thread makes me want to go by myself sometime of reader. I do most of my reading during by noon break and get frustarted when I forget my book. This sounds like a much better option.
If I would get a kindle which version should I get or what options should I look for?
The pandigital sounds interesting, but also probably more than I'd want to spend.

The Pan Digital was $20 more than the Kindle but had a $30 rebate.

Return to Top
#1488736 - 01/03/11 11:47 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle J2C
Snowgirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Bought the Nook a year ago for my daughter - she loves it and is very easy to use. Now they came out with the color version, wish they would have had that a year ago!

Return to Top
#1488764 - 01/04/11 03:22 AM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Snowgirl
jlroberts Offline
Diamond Poster
jlroberts
Ohio
At first glance I thought this said love/hate your Kids - LOL! shocked
Last edited by jlroberts; 01/04/11 03:23 AM.
Return to Top
#1489574 - 01/04/11 11:46 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Peepers
bankCO Offline
I love my kindle as well. I got it for Christmas and have already read a few books off of it. I agree with previous post, its so much quieter to read off the kindle. It doesn't hurt my eyes to read it because its not lit up like a computer screen. Also if you turn the wi-fi off of it the battery will last for about a month. Good luck with your decision but I definitely recommend... smile

Return to Top
#1489632 - 01/05/11 01:44 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle bankCO
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Love my Nook. Got gift cards for Christmas - can restock with more new books.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1489664 - 01/05/11 02:03 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle waldensouth
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
OK - I found a "hate" about my Kindle. Holding it up, flipping the 'pages' and pressing the buttons at the bottom makes my thumbs hurt. The joint of my right thumb has now been sore for 3 days.

Return to Top
#1489678 - 01/05/11 02:13 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle RR Becca
Peepers Offline
10K Club
try playing Call of Duty for 8 straight hours

Return to Top
#1490175 - 01/05/11 08:57 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Peepers
Miss Banker Offline
100 Club
Pfft! Child's play... My thumbs got that way after playing Halo (1) and Fusion Frenzy on the original XBOX, but now they are good to go!

Return to Top
#1490190 - 01/05/11 09:02 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Miss Banker
Miss Banker Offline
100 Club
Seriously though, I cannot say enough about how much I adore my Kindle.

I do have one thing to add though... It's about the leather covers that it seems we all get for them. I've noticed that most people get the ones that open like a book. I think that is so that it will 'feel' more like a book. I got the one that flips open over the top like a note pad. It is so cool because it acts as a stand and I just set it up on my desk and read while I am eating during lunch. I love it that I don't have to hold it and all I have to do is press the button. Very cool!

Return to Top
#1490252 - 01/05/11 09:51 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Miss Banker
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: Miss Banker
I got the one that flips open over the top like a note pad. It is so cool because it acts as a stand and I just set it up on my desk and read while I am eating during lunch. I love it that I don't have to hold it and all I have to do is press the button. Very cool!

Where did you find that? Since my biggest gripe is finding something to prop mine up with because it's too heavy to hold, this sounds like a purchase I need to make.

Return to Top
#1490268 - 01/05/11 10:13 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle RR Becca
Miss Banker Offline
100 Club
Amazon. I just searched for 'leather Kindle cover' and a bunch came up. This was a year or two ago and all I've ever seen people with are the book-like ones since. So I am starting to wonder/worry if the demand isn't there, will they stop making the kind I have by the time (or if) I ever need another.

Return to Top
#1490274 - 01/05/11 10:19 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Miss Banker
RR Sarah Online
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Miss Banker you can still get the easel type covers. I've been doing some research on them but haven't yet decided on which cover I want.

Return to Top
#1490275 - 01/05/11 10:21 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle RR Sarah
Miss Banker Offline
100 Club
Yep! I just searched for them and they are still there. Mine is the M-Edge Platform. But when I searched just now, I found that they make all kinds of the ones that claim to have a 'three-way adjustable built-in stand". Mine has the one where the flap slides in to the cover so it never moves or falls. So I don't think I'd get the other ones that have the built-in stands because they are more expensive and totally not necessary if I can just get the one I have if I ever need to.

Return to Top
#1490315 - 01/05/11 11:06 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Miss Banker
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
I've had more and more reboot issues in the last week (book closes automtically over and over and you lose your place / collections "uncollect"). I did some research and found that you have to make sure your Kindle has the latest version (guess its doesn't automatically update?). I updated to 3.0.3 today so hopefully that will fix it.

If not, another causee in the research I did had to do with the leather covers (without the light) that are like books (which I have). The little metal thing at the top that connects the cover to the Kindle can cause electrical issues with the Kindle which cause the multiple reboots. It's a known problem so if you experience this you should contact Amazon while the warranty is still in effect. They'll replace the Kindle and if that doesn't fix the problem they'll refund the cost of cover (at least that's what I keep reading).

Thought I'd pass this on in case anyone else starts having the problem.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6