BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#148840 - 01/13/04 08:54 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
Actually once the power went our at the branch i used to work at and we had to try and balance the drawers the old fashion way... after a day of over 100 transactions by each teller it was a mess!!! it took some people over an hour to balance.
i still have some lenders who hand write their memos for the AAs to type...
old ways die hard

Return to Top
#148841 - 01/13/04 09:06 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Saying "I work in a bank" and always being asked "what branch are you a teller in?"

Hey, it's not just a female thing! I used to get this occasionally, too. The most suprising was when it came from someone with whom I had been discussing my recent sitting for the CPA exam. I think it's just a lack of understanding that there are other jobs in a bank.

Return to Top
#148842 - 01/13/04 09:09 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Not to swipe the thread, you are right jokerman. I told someone that I was the compliance officer at a bank. And they asked what that was, and I said like, you know, regulatory compliance, making sure the bank is following the rules set up by our agencies, policies, procedures, reviews and so on.
I got the "deer in headlights" look...

Return to Top
#148843 - 01/13/04 09:10 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I used to try to explain my job to the public Maria. Now I just say "Bank Cheerleader" anad let them think what they may. It's really easier and it cuts down on the donation requests

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#148844 - 01/13/04 09:12 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
So Dawnie, does that make me the Bank Police Officer? LOL!

Return to Top
#148845 - 01/13/04 09:12 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Oh yes, June 1981 is when I started in banking. Just 21 and just finished teaching high school. Prime rate was 20.5%, inflation was around 13%. CD's were paying 16.5% for 30 mos. I ran a window with a HUGE calculator and pen. Remember typing mortgage loans on my Remington manual typewriter with carbon paper---what fun. Figured interest by looking it up in a table in a book. No computers, faxes, cell phones, financial calculators, atms, websites, e-mail, images, etc.

We had an intern last summer and he needed to type something and I told him to use the typewriter (yes, we still have 2) and I got the blankest stare and him saying "I have never use a typewriter before".

We didn't have "banker's hours" at my first bank as the drive up opened at 6:30 A.M. (yes, A.M.) six days a week.

My second bank had the bankers hours. 9-3 with an hour for lunch. There were days when we were on the first tee at 3:30. However there were days we were there until 8 as the bank just about failed thanks to some prior officers. Pulled the bank out of the ashes, and then the shareholders sold us out.

The "Good Old Days" had plenty of warts on them but we tend for forget the bad and only remember the good.

Return to Top
#148846 - 01/13/04 09:18 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I got the "deer in headlights" look...

I get that when I tell people I'm the bank's auditor - "you mean, like the . . . the . . .[stammering, shivering]. . . IRS???"

Return to Top
#148847 - 01/13/04 10:06 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Quote:

ExGovtBabe,
You forgot hauling around a trunk full of those regulation books, manuals, workpapers, etc. that are now contained on a CD or two.

I still like the reg books. Something about thumbing through those onion skin pages with my notes scribbled all over the margins......

Return to Top
#148848 - 01/13/04 10:08 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Quote:

It was a tad before my time, but women had to take maternity leave as soon as they started to show they were pregnant. I can't imagine.

There is a bank here where the old chairman told the field office supervisor that no pg women could be on the exam. I threatened to put together an entire TEAM of pg women and conduct all business in the lobby. (He is no longer with us.)

Return to Top
#148849 - 01/13/04 10:08 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Only when you're wearing a blue dress Maria. Otherwise you're the bank devil Or whirling dervish....

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#148850 - 01/13/04 10:15 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
When I tell them I'm the fraud invesigator and explain that I deal with counterfeit checks, etc., just about everyone says, "Oh, like in 'Catch me if you Can'!" At least there is a frame of reference, kinda, for my job.

Return to Top
#148851 - 01/13/04 10:29 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Another funny thing is whenever someone left the bank, people on the outside always formed an opinion that he/she must have been fired for stealing cash!

Return to Top
#148852 - 01/14/04 02:55 AM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

Quote:

Saying "I work in a bank" and always being asked "what branch are you a teller in

That's in the good old days? I still get this every so often.

Me too.

Return to Top
#148853 - 01/14/04 03:39 AM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Every once in a while, I run into someone who doesn't get the concept of 'Security Officer,' and instead think I'm a 'Security Guard.' Invaribly, it's the 'do you carry a gun?' question that gives these people away...

Return to Top
#148854 - 01/14/04 01:13 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Only when you're wearing a blue dress Maria. Otherwise you're the bank devil Or whirling dervish....

Hmmm.... Bank Devil, I like it!

Return to Top
#148855 - 01/14/04 01:53 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Quote:

Every once in a while, I run into someone who doesn't get the concept of 'Security Officer,' and instead think I'm a 'Security Guard.'

. . . and the customers who thought the Cashier was the head teller???

Return to Top
#148856 - 01/14/04 02:53 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Quote:

Every once in a while, I run into someone who doesn't get the concept of 'Security Officer,' and instead think I'm a 'Security Guard.' Invaribly, it's the 'do you carry a gun?' question that gives these people away...

At one point I was flying back & forth to DC quite a bit. I got so I would just leave most everything in DC and take only necessities back with me. Once I forgot my driver's license and had to use my FDIC badge as my photo ID. The gate attendant looked at me very seriously and asked "Are you traveling armed today, ma'am?" Totally cracked me up.

Return to Top
#148857 - 01/14/04 03:20 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Quote:

I hear ya Jac, I once had an attorney question my qualifications to testify during a hearing involving a counterfeit check because he assumed that "Security Officer" meant that I stood in the lobby all day in a guard uniform. I thought our attorney was going to bust a gut laughing after we were out of the hearing!

Return to Top
#148858 - 01/14/04 04:03 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Kwiltr Offline
100 Club
The first (and third) banks I worked for had duplicate cash in and out tickets. The original, handwritten, ticket went to proof with the transaction. The duplicate copy went on a spindle. When balancing time came, each teller ran a calculator tape for the ins and another one for the outs. To balance, you started with yesterday's drawer total, added the ins, subtracted the outs, and that's what was in your drawer. Well....how simple is that? Of course, it worked every time!

Return to Top
#148859 - 01/14/04 06:31 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
That's what we do now. Except that it's the original tickets, before they're sent to proof, not a copy.

Return to Top
#148860 - 01/14/04 06:38 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Oh, the good old days brings back a memory. I was working the drive up between 5:30 and 6 on a Friday evening. The lobby closed at 5:30 so it was just me, my branch manager and the bank president in the building. A customer pulled up to the drive up. She had an old car with a vent window. She could not roll her window down, so she opened the vent window as much as possible and stuck her arm through the window to get the pen to sign her check.

So far so good. She got the pen, signed her check then snaked her arm back through the vent window to put the check in the drawer (did I mention she was wearin a halter top?). Well trying to squeeze her arm around to put her check in the drawer required moving around and then ---BAM, it happened. Her left breast came completely out of her top. What is a guy to do?? Meanwile, the bank president and branch manager(who were playing poker with the vault money) saw what happened and busted out laughing and I am trying to keep a staight face.

Well, she calmly put her breast back in her top, I cashed her check and she drove off as I am now rolling on the floor laughing so hard. I never saw her at the bank again.

Return to Top
#148861 - 01/14/04 07:14 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
Probably the most amazing thing about the first bank I worked at was the nominal fraud losses. The bank had $100+ million in assets with 9 branches. During my years there, fraud losses from all sources were less than $1,000 per year. Imagine that in banking today.

Return to Top
#148862 - 01/14/04 10:04 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Omigosh, creditcop - I remember running our central vault and on shipment date. my Sr VP and I would occasionally play poker with the bundles of cash - used to to freak out some of the other employees when they would walk be the vault and see us playing cards with these HUGE stacks of money (our shipments would be anywhere from $500m to $1M -

Return to Top
#148863 - 01/14/04 10:21 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
(Speaking of which, anyone see the finale of Celeb Poker last night? I was surprised at the winner! A good show overall, I hope they do another series, maybe with a different game.)

Return to Top
#148864 - 01/15/04 06:23 AM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
EGB--How long have you had that tag-line? It is hysterical.

"Bother", said Pooh as he was assimilated by the Borg.

I laughed out loud at midnight all alone at that one!!

Return to Top
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett