Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#148865 - 01/15/04 03:07 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Just a day or so - I lifted it from another board I was perusing because it also made me laugh. Just something about it.

Return to Top
#148866 - 01/15/04 03:42 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
EGB - does that mean you're cheating on us?

Return to Top
#148867 - 01/15/04 04:02 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Quote:

LOL!! Absolutely not - totally NOT a banking group. Y'all are my ONLY banking group. (Blink blink blink.)

Return to Top
#148868 - 01/15/04 04:09 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

"Well, I've got an idea," said Jokerman, "and here it is. We take EGB for a long explore, somewhere on the web where she's never been, and we lose her there, and next morning we find her again, and - mark my words - she'll be a different EGB altogether."

"Why?" said Skittles.

"Because she'll be a Humble EGB. Because she'll be a Sad EGB, a Melancholy EGB, a Small and Sorry EGB, an Oh-Skittles-I-am-glad-to-see-you EGB. That's why."

Return to Top
#148869 - 01/15/04 04:11 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England
FOTFLMAO!!!! Very well done jokerman!!!!

Return to Top
#148870 - 01/15/04 04:31 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Thank you, thank you. . .

Return to Top
#148871 - 01/15/04 05:27 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Too funny!

Return to Top
#148872 - 01/15/04 05:58 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

Posting loan payments on the back of the note.

You mean we don't have to do that anymore??? Hey, guys....guess what I just found out......

Return to Top
#148873 - 01/15/04 07:55 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
?

Return to Top
#148874 - 01/15/04 11:20 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Sorry, Jeremy, I was running off to tell my guys they didn't have to do that anymore. Guess you have to have virtual TV to see my running away! Ha!

Return to Top
#148875 - 01/16/04 09:03 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh yes, I remember the good ole days, when I was new to banking, when on very busy days, or after a holiday, everyone in the bank (including lenders - imagine that) had to stay and help the proof department sort and alphabetize the checks for posting the next day and then the posters would whine all next morning about how badly the checks were sorted. We posted alphabetically...no such thing as an account number. Posters had signatures on ledger cards to make sure signatures were valid. Bank double posted... one bookkeeper posted the ledger card and the other the statments. Oh, and if after the long day of posting the ledgers did not balance to the statement postings, no one went home until bookkeeping was in balance. We all had to stay and help call back the numbers in order to find the error(s).

Then, how about when everyone stayed on statement day to help count checks and mail statements.

Do I miss the good ole days? NO WAY! Technology rules.

Return to Top
#148876 - 01/16/04 09:29 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
Well dear, I DO miss the good old days of banking. No matter how hard it was it's got to be better than some of the stupidity we have got to put up with these days. I remember virtually everything mentioned in this post but am still not old enough to retire......life just ain't fair!!

Return to Top
#148877 - 01/16/04 10:36 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
I remember back in my lending days where this young woman who was a knock out came in for a loan and I turned her down and she came back about once a month for the next couple of month's asking for the loan again. The last time she came in it was summer time and she had a loose fitting tank top on and she stood up and bent over and put her hands on my desk (which was in the lobby at the time) and she didn't have anything on underneath. Hello!!! She again asked about the loan and I told her no again and that she could take her two friends with her. Never did see her in the bank again.

Return to Top
#148878 - 01/16/04 11:54 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster
Okay, since I tend to read more threads than write 'em even when I have an opinion, I figure I'll respond to this one. I remember the huge "merchant teller cage" - special senior tellers who handled merchants from a booth that you had to be buzzed into. (I was a merchant teller later and all cash had to be hand counted and I remember times when I was with the manager of a grocery store who wheeled his deposits over in a shopping cart and it took about three hours to count his deposit. Not just once - this was many times!) So anyway,our merchant tellers were female and they could see the front door. When a good looking guy walked in, they would ring a bell - loudly. All the teller heads on the teller line (12 windows) would look up at the guy in unison! Very funny...
Also - nobody mentioned "no ATMs" I remember being chosen specially to assist a bank officer in balancing and replenishing. For one, it was mandatory that only new bills be put in the machine as it could not handle used bills! And I remember that every single branch employee had to be part of the rotation - standing by the customer waiting line to talk about the new machine and ask the customer if they would like to go outside for a demonstration. Most people did not want anything to do with getting money from a machine!

Return to Top
#148879 - 01/17/04 12:34 AM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Joker - ROFL!!!!!!!!! Yes, but we all remember how THAT little exercise turned out, didn't we?? An oh-so-humble JOKER....... And in the meantime, I'm "bouncy, jouncy, pouncy, fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN...."

Return to Top
#148880 - 01/17/04 02:53 AM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I remember when we used to have ATM's that were only for our customers. The cards were good only at one of three machines our bank had. The ATM was the size of a small car and nearly as loud.

That lead to a funny story about when I proposed to my wife. We were going out to dinner in a town about a half hour drive away. I was so nervous that I forgot to get money from the ATM before we left. Instead of the nice restaurant I was planning to pop the question in, we ate at a drive in burger joint and I popped the question in my car! Oh well, it is a great story now!

Return to Top
#148881 - 01/17/04 04:27 AM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I have had an ATM card since - Thomas, you might remember this - since Philadelphia National Bank (PNB) had its "Anytime Teller Machines". They were at one time just about the only ATMs in the Philadelphia area. Of course, PNB became CoreStates which is now long gone into Wachovia. I would drive about 6 miles to use the closest one at a mall. I made my mother go with me! But I loved it! What a great product that was and is. I never looked back!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#148882 - 01/17/04 11:13 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Banking today is like making love on your 50th anniversary. It still seems like a good idea, but there is no way you can convince yourself it is as much fun as it used to be.

I would attribute that to the author if I could remember who I stole it from.

Return to Top
#148883 - 01/19/04 12:47 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
Anybody remember when the only bank credit card was BankAmericard? Premium gasoline was about 25 cents a gallon at the time unless there was a gas war. Then it could go down to 15 to 20 cents a gallon. "Pay at the pump" meant you paid the attendant after he pumped your gas, checked your oil and cleaned your windshield.

Return to Top
#148884 - 01/19/04 02:04 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Quote:

the only bank credit card was BankAmericard?

Wow - do I remember that. If there was a star (*) between the expiration and embossed BAC there was a $50 floor limit before the clerk had to call in for approval. Without the star, there was a $25 limit . . . and for each trasactin they had to check the number against the paper booklets to see if the card was stolen.

Return to Top
#148885 - 01/19/04 03:47 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Wish I knew then Offline
New Poster
Wish I knew then
I do not know if anyone mentioned these;
As a thrift, we could not offer a checking account until the early eighties when the NOW account was created.
Also a the days when deposit rates were set by the government and the only CD terms, I believe, were six months and one year.
I suppose there are many days which we all are unsure which days were better; then or now.

Return to Top
#148886 - 01/19/04 03:55 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
Quote:

and for each trasactin they had to check the number against the paper booklets to see if the card was stolen.

Can you imagine what that paper booklet would look like today? You would probably have to have a semi or maybe even a caravan of semis to haul it.

Return to Top
#148887 - 01/19/04 10:35 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Little Sister Offline
100 Club
Iowa
Back in my good old days of bank, I worked as a teller/proof operator/whatever they needed while going to college (back in the late 70's). They worked around my school schedule. We had a branch bank (shaped like a windmill - how Dutch is that) about 1.5 miles from our downtown bank. Well on Friday afternoon, one of the local larger businesses were paid so the drive-up got pretty crazy (at least for a town of 4000 at the time). I finished working my shift at the downtown bank and was heading out the Windmill branch and they asked if I would bring along some extra money for the Friday rush. So here I am, riding my bike with $15,000 to $20,000 in a brown paper bag - only in small town America!!!

Return to Top
#148888 - 01/20/04 12:59 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
Quote:

Wow - do I remember that. If there was a star (*) between the expiration and embossed BAC there was a $50 floor limit before the clerk had to call in for approval. Without the star, there was a $25 limit

This was probably one of the earliest examples of "structuring". Remember the people that would attempt to make multiple purchases or get multiple advances just under the floor limit to avoid that dreaded phone call for authorization? Sometimes during busy seasons like Christmas, it could take a long time for a human to answer the phone and give the verbal authorization.

Return to Top
#148889 - 01/20/04 07:51 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
How about the loans that shouldn't have been made? I remember reviewing loan files and not understanding why in the world certain loans were made; credit horibble, etc. Well, since we used to hang out on the "platform" side during the audit, we soon discovered the managers (generally male) especially in the beach cities, seemed to make a lot of loans that were not based on credit worthiness but something else!

Return to Top
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett