Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1488045 - 12/31/10 05:49 PM Consumer to business purpose loan
drewella Offline
Gold Star
Existing loan to consumer, collateral was primary residence. Now refinancing, but property is now rental property. What would stop the bank from processing as business purpose loan and taking an assignment of rents?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1488116 - 12/31/10 07:24 PM Re: Consumer to business purpose loan drewella
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
What was the original use of proceeds? That is what determines if the loan was consumer or business purpose.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1488158 - 12/31/10 08:07 PM Re: Consumer to business purpose loan Kathleen O. Blanchard
drewella Offline
Gold Star
originally the loan was a home equity line of credit. File isn't documented very well, but it is more than likely consumer purpose. But now we are converting to term out the loan, one of the signers will change too.

Return to Top
#1488179 - 12/31/10 08:25 PM Re: Consumer to business purpose loan drewella
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I would not change it to a business purpose without some evidence that it actually is a business purpose. It sounds like consumer purpose. It would be very unusual for a loan to "change purpose" midstream, refi or not.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1488182 - 12/31/10 08:27 PM Re: Consumer to business purpose loan drewella
complylady Offline
Platinum Poster
complylady
Michigan
This is no longer the primary dwelling, now rental property which is exempt from Reg Z. As long as this is a true refi, paying off first loan, then this is business purpose - purpose of new loan is to refi rental property.

Return to Top
#1488757 - 01/04/11 02:05 AM Re: Consumer to business purpose loan complylady
drewella Offline
Gold Star
Did I mention this is a workout deal? Definitely a refi.

Return to Top
#1488815 - 01/04/11 01:50 PM Re: Consumer to business purpose loan complylady
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By: complylady
This is no longer the primary dwelling, now rental property which is exempt from Reg Z. As long as this is a true refi, paying off first loan, then this is business purpose - purpose of new loan is to refi rental property.

Collateral is not a determining factor in consumer/business decision. If I use a rental home as collateral to get funds to go on vacation and then later refinance that amount, it does not turn it into an exempt transaction just because the collateral is a rental home and I am refinancing a current debt secured by that property.

Return to Top
#1488821 - 01/04/11 01:57 PM Re: Consumer to business purpose loan rlcarey
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
To take this a step futher. Rental property is only exempt as business purpose if its for credit extended to acquire, improve, or maintain rental property (regardless of the number of housing units) that is not owner-occupied is deemed to be for business purposes.

So...if you were refinancing credit originally for the above purposes, it would be BP.

This does not sound like it was purchase money, since it's a HELOC and it's very difficult to determine what the HELOC money was used for, for instance, improvements or maintenance.

If you can't determine these things, then chances are you will keep this as a personal purpose loan.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1488868 - 01/04/11 02:56 PM Re: Consumer to business purpose loan RR Joker
drewella Offline
Gold Star
I'll go with that! Thanks for the feedback.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z