Indiana
In my area, those type of loans are called "leg loans"

Return to Top
#148891 - 01/20/04 08:24 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
I learned that term very quickly from my fellow male auditors. Of course that was over 20 years ago and there wasn't an appropriate term for the opposite scenario. (learned that one too once the female managers came on the scene)

Return to Top
#148892 - 01/27/04 06:16 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Oh my... I hadn't heard this one in a quite a while. When I first started in banking, the lenders used this term to tease each other. I was soooo green, it took me a while to figure out what they meant.

Return to Top
#148893 - 01/27/04 07:59 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Apple Offline
Apple
Oklahoma
There is still banks that still do everything manual. Teller cash is counted and using an adding machine, notes are being done on typewriters, proof work is done by posting and encoded at a machine, and check are sorted and filed away under their signature card. No teller machines, no sorter,(human sorter only) They go to signature cards to check the signature or see if they are a signer.

Return to Top
#148894 - 01/27/04 10:59 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Czargazer Offline
Gold Star
Czargazer
Pacific Northwest
Quote:

Quote:

Oh my... I hadn't heard this one in a quite a while. When I first started in banking, the lenders used this term to tease each other. I was soooo green, it took me a while to figure out what they meant.

So for HMDA reporting on these loans, is the sex section marked "yes"?

Return to Top
#148895 - 01/27/04 11:51 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Quote:

So for HMDA reporting on these loans, is the sex section marked "yes"?

No, 3..times a week

Return to Top
#148896 - 01/28/04 03:28 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
I was once trying to explain my job to a very close friend. He said "Oh, you're like a narc!" I said some probably see me that way.

Return to Top
#148897 - 01/28/04 03:50 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
A friend once showed me what was allegedly a real copy of an employment application from a teenager. Under sex, he put "a little once".

Now for the really good old days of banking. THERE WAS NO FINCEN TO DEAL WITH. I'm having a bad day, or can you tell?

I see the train coming, and its getting closer and closer by the minute.

Return to Top
#148898 - 01/28/04 03:53 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
At my first bank, we required every MMDA/Savings transaction to be in-person and over-the-counter. Sure made monitoring those products for excessive transactions a piece of cake. Also, way back when, we all had a good general knowledge of what every dept did. Some of us trained as "floaters" meaning we'd fill in wherever needed. At that time many that it was a lowly position, but I truly think it was a valuable experience. Even though much has changed (technology) since that time, I still have a good general sense of what goes on. The banks I've been involved with in the last 15-20 years no longer implement this. I think these folks are missing out.
Last edited by OnTheEdge; 01/28/04 03:55 PM.
Return to Top
#148899 - 01/28/04 04:22 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

I see the train coming, and its getting closer and closer by the minute.

Just don't try to see how close you could get your head to the train before it hits it

Return to Top
#148900 - 01/28/04 06:47 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

I was once trying to explain my job to a very close friend. He said "Oh, you're like a narc!" I said some probably see me that way.

LOLOLOLOL Oh that's a definate 6 snorter...me...a narc? Who woulda thunk it?!?!? (nobody from HS, that's for darn sure! ) a narc...HA

Return to Top
#148901 - 01/28/04 08:21 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Quote:

Under sex, he put "a little once".

Or the loan app that asked the question "Length of residence in town" The reply was 45 foot.

Or when they came up with the requirements about print type, and the SVP consumer had the entire consumer application printed in 14 point type, except for disclosures which he kept at 10 point.

Return to Top
#148902 - 03/05/05 03:49 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Sisyphus Offline
100 Club
Sisyphus
Connecticut
Does anyone remember the HMDA-1 (before the HMDA LAR)?

Return to Top
#148903 - 03/06/05 06:06 AM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about "local clearing" of checks? Anyone involved with meeting at various banks each day and exchanging bags of checks? "Here Bank #1 - here are all your checks totalling $5 million. And thank you for our checks totalling $4 million - you owe me $1 million...." Something like that. We would physically exchange checks between the local area banks and pay the difference.

Return to Top
#148904 - 03/06/05 06:16 AM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
Oops - that was me; wasn't logged in!

We also had full key, manual Burroughs teller machines, with many that couldn't accept a deposit over 99,999.99 because there weren't enough keys on the machine. These weren't the ones with cranks, tho' we did have some of those. In '72 I worked at our main office as a teller, where we had a Collections Department that handled bond redemption, foreign currency, bond coupons, etc. All the tellers basically did was take deposits and cash checks. The branches did everything - including what Collections did - and when I was sent there to work one day, I was totally clueless. It was especially hard because I couldn't tell a debit from a credit to save my life. When my main office manager got frustrated w/me later on because I couldn't balance, she would threaten to send me back to a branch - I started balancing the next day!

I also recall the ledgers for checking balances, and the excitement when we got our first back counter computer - with the LED readout. We also balanced Christmas Club coupons by hand - and had daily balance sheets (in the typewriters) to balance our teller debits and credits each night. Did any of you have the "cage transfers" between the vault and the tellers for cash? We had little pink and blue slips (were some male, and some female?) and if the branch didn't balance, it was usually found there.

Ahhhh...the good old days!

Good thread!

Return to Top
#148905 - 03/06/05 07:49 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
8675309 Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the wind comes sweeping ...
My first real job after graduating college was marketing officer for a bank. Keep in mind, this was just ten years ago.

My boss showed me to my office and I asked, "When will my computer be delivered?"

He responded, "What do you need a computer for?"

Uh, geez, I don't know. I guess I could just design our ads and brochures with a 64 box of crayons and a big chief tablet!

If I hadn't needed the job so bad, I would have ran out the door. It took about 3 months to convince the bank that I needed a computer!

Return to Top
#148906 - 03/07/05 07:04 AM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I remember rolls and rolls of Microfilm! (Not Mircrofische which was for sissies, but MicroFILM!)

Oh and the proof tapes to go along with the Microfilm so you could find stuff.

Yeah....right...find stuff. Ha!

Or how about almost breaking your arm using one of those "crank" machines when you had to push almost all of the buttons that were available. Talk about recoil!!!!

Return to Top
#148907 - 03/07/05 04:22 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Anonymous
Unregistered

I remember starting in wire. We had to manually encode the account number on each entry, which we began after fed closed at 3:00 PM EST. We were never out by 5:00 because of the encoding and balancing. We were constantly looking for entries that got thrown out in error. The messenger would have to wait for us so he could deliver the "yellow" bag to the area that processed the entries. Also I remember doing "puts and Pulls". We did them on a teletype machine with ticker tape. And when we typed the fed wires, if the fed ran out of paper they would ring a bell on our machine and type for us to stop on OUR machine. No such thing as repeat codes. We used to process 100's of the same wires, day in and day out for Ford. We had to type the entire wire. Loved that 3:00 deadline when Ford usually called in and we manually wrote down the amounts around 1:00. Thankfully we did have pre-typed sheets with all the info.

Return to Top
#148908 - 03/08/05 04:33 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Anonymous
Unregistered

and bank robbers made their getaways on horseback!!!

Return to Top
#148909 - 03/11/05 01:18 AM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

and bank robbers made their getaways on horseback!!!

One day around 1980 or so, I was looking for something in the basement of the first bank I worked for. I came across a scrapbook that contained a news article about an attempted robbery of the bank.

The robbery was thwarted when the cashier ran out after the robber and shot him in the street. The police commended the cashier for his quick thinking and good shooting. The robbery happened sometime in the 1930s. I thought the story was very interesting.

Do any of your tellers keep guns in their drawers? I wonder how often banks would be robbed if criminals knew tellers had access to a pistol? (On the other hand, we'd probably hear stories about tellers shooting customers or their managers too, huh? Of course, compliance officers might be tempted to shoot loan officers and examiners!)

Return to Top
#148910 - 03/11/05 02:23 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Of course, compliance officers might be tempted to shoot loan officers and examiners!)

I think we compliance officers would be the first to go.

Return to Top
#148911 - 03/11/05 06:15 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
There's an old story about an examiner who had a meeting with a banker out in Far West Texas (or possibly South Texas, I've heard both). It was an exam wrap up, and they sat down to go over the findings. Apparently the banker didn't like the way things were going because he got up, went to his desk drawer, pulled out a pistol, and put it in the middle of the table. "Now, about those findings of your'n......."

I never did hear how the rest of the meeting went.

Return to Top
#148912 - 03/11/05 11:06 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
When I was an examiner we had a bank that had a revolver in a holster nailed in the cubby under the teller's cage. Yes, they had the bars and all. Small bank, one cage. Everything was done by hand, no computers, no accruals, they might have used a type writer. I felt like I was stepping back in time when I went there (this was in the 80s.

Return to Top
#148913 - 03/17/05 07:59 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about the old Quip machine that was used to send returns to the Fed?

Return to Top
#148914 - 03/17/05 09:20 PM Re: Good Old Days of Banking
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
My bank has stories about the days when there was a gun under the teller counter. I think the Pres also had a shotgun in the closet - and a good view across the lobby.

Return to Top
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett