Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#1485546 - 12/24/10 06:40 PM tell me why you love/hate your kindle
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Looked at it and am more interested than I was...however would love your comments, esp. since we read all day in Compliance. Is that light really enough?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1485550 - 12/24/10 06:41 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Trees
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Hate to read so I don't have one.

Return to Top
#1485552 - 12/24/10 06:42 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle cheekEE
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Loves to read but doesn't have one either.

Isn't nice to know that you can always count on us for a honest opinion? smirk laugh
Last edited by Boatn Shasta; 12/24/10 06:42 PM.

Return to Top
#1485569 - 12/24/10 06:56 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle bOaty
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
likes real books so don't have one

Return to Top
#1485576 - 12/24/10 07:00 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle bOaty
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
I love it because when I travel I don't have to pack a stack of books. The kindle goes into my purse or carry on and I have more room to pack shoes!

I don't have a light on mine.

I bought one for my husband for Christmas. (ssshhh...don't tell him!)

Return to Top
#1485606 - 12/24/10 09:15 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle califgirl
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Love having all of my books in one device that fits in my purse (huge issue when moving/traveling).
Books are backed up on-line.
Lots of freebies (not all good but if you review them each day you can get some good ones + find new authors that you're willing to try since there's no cost).
Factor in cost of book/shipping, best sellers are still cheaper than my Mystery Guild Membership books.
Like the "read aloud" feature so I can listen in my car.
I like getting the first chapter for free so you can decide whether or not to buy the book

Wish I had bought the cover with the light attached.
Don't like that I've been having to "reboot" the device more and more often.
Wish you could share books.

I've only had mine for 3 months but I'm happy so far.

Return to Top
#1485617 - 12/25/10 12:53 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Cowboys Fan
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Don't have a Kindle but I have the app on both my laptop and my Droid. Don't have to haul a book everywhere now. Still considering a Kindle when the prices drop more and the battery lasts longer.

Return to Top
#1485641 - 12/27/10 02:23 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Bagweaver
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Likes: Love the convenience for carrying and the fact that I can now be a book hoarder without taking up so much space. Also love the convenience of the instant delivery, and the fact that so many classics and new authors are available free or very, very cheap.

Dislikes: It's not as comfortable in my hands as a real book. I find myself still reading print at home and just using the Kindle to carry around in my purse. I also find my eyes getting tired faster trying to read the screen instead of a printed page.

I do not see this actually replacing my book collection, but it will certainly be a nice addition.

Return to Top
#1485642 - 12/27/10 02:24 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Bagweaver
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I gave my wife a Nook for Christmas. She loves to read. She wanted the Nook because she can borrow books from our library and share books with friends.

Return to Top
#1485645 - 12/27/10 02:41 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle MyBrainHurts
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I couldn't play Madden '11 on it so I threw it out.

Return to Top
#1485652 - 12/27/10 02:58 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Peepers
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
laugh

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1485656 - 12/27/10 03:09 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Peepers
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
I love my Kindle. I bought the small one with a case. It fits in my purse and I take it everywhere. It was nice when Christmas shopping as I read it while in line.

I find it easy to hold and when I turn the pages at night my husband does not hear it and therefore doesn't complain. laugh

I got the light for Christmas and I just wish I had bought the cover with the light as I have to take the cover I have off to put on the light. However, the light has three settings which is very nice.

I find reading it is much better than a screen and on days my eyes are tired I just increase the font. I was even able to read it right after my eyes were dilated at the Ophthalmologists.

The only thing I don't like about it is that you can not borrow books from the library. But as stated earlier here, most of the classics are free, plus tons of other bonuses. I have around 60 books and have paid less than $10 total.

My husband is ecstatic as he was tired of building me bookshelves. shocked

Return to Top
#1485660 - 12/27/10 03:13 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Rie A
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: Rie A
My husband is ecstatic as he was tired of building me bookshelves. shocked

Same here. So far, he's more excited about it than I am. smirk

Return to Top
#1485665 - 12/27/10 03:26 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle RR Becca
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I've only had my Kindle for three days but I already love it! Living in the sticks I always had to order my books online and then wait for shipment. Now I get immediate delivery. I thought I would miss the feel of a real book in my hands but after a few pages I forgot all about that.

There isn't anything I don't like about it at this point but then again, I've only had it three days.

A couple of my friend's have the Nook by Barnes & Noble and that was originally the device I was interested in most. The book sharing thing isn't all it is cracked up to be. You can only share the book once (and then only for 14 days). Still a nice feature though.

Return to Top
#1485670 - 12/27/10 03:35 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle RR Sarah
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
The book sharing thing isn't all it is cracked up to be. You can only share the book once (and then only for 14 days).
I was disappointed when I found that out. I just KNEW my friends and I (wink, wink laugh ) were going to have our own little elibrary going.

Return to Top
#1485683 - 12/27/10 03:53 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle RR Becca
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I've had my original Kindle (K1) for 2 1/2 years and still love it. I do get a twinge occasionally for a newer one but won't as long as she's still working. I've bought one battery for her and a couple of awesome covers (Oberon) and the Mighty Brite light, which is the best, to me.

I find reading on it much easier. I find that my hands don't get as tired as when I was constantly hold a book, something about the way I would use my thumb to hold the book open.

So many books at your fingertip

So easy to finish one book and "grab" another.

Family is happy since I always love getting Amazon gift cards.

I've discovered some new authors thru the freebies available on Amazon.

Traveling is so much easier with not have to tote multiple books.

I live miles and miles from the nearest town so getting a book is so much more convenient now, even though I'm not in the Whispernet and have to download via computer, which is a breeze. Even for technically challenged me!

I loving "cleaning" my library, meaning just delete them from my K1 knowing Amazon is storing them for me anytime I want to re-read it.

For some reason, I don't get motion sickness reading my K1 while my husband is driving and I always did with a paper book.

Return to Top
#1485689 - 12/27/10 04:04 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle HRH Okie Banker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
^^^^is a truly devoted fan!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1485702 - 12/27/10 04:36 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle RR Becca
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
The book sharing thing isn't all it is cracked up to be. You can only share the book once (and then only for 14 days).
I was disappointed when I found that out. I just KNEW my friends and I (wink, wink laugh ) were going to have our own little elibrary going.

How awesome would that be?!??!! laugh

Return to Top
#1485746 - 12/27/10 05:48 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle RR Sarah
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I am not very tech-savvy and don't have a kindle (yet). I do have the kindle app for my ipod. Somewhere I read that with the whispersync technology you can create a master account with a group of people and share books that way. Again, don't ask me how it works, but the idea intrigued me.

Return to Top
#1485750 - 12/27/10 05:55 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle hmdagal
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: hmdagal
I am not very tech-savvy and don't have a kindle (yet). I do have the kindle app for my ipod. Somewhere I read that with the whispersync technology you can create a master account with a group of people and share books that way. Again, don't ask me how it works, but the idea intrigued me.

One of my sisters has a Kindle and she thought the same thing. I haven't had time to look into it though.

Return to Top
#1485752 - 12/27/10 06:01 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle hmdagal
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma

LOL. I am a huge fan. I believe, to share that way, you have to share the same Amazon account (i.e. let's all put in our credit/debit card info in the shared account grin).

Return to Top
#1485804 - 12/27/10 07:12 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle HRH Okie Banker
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
Originally Posted By: Okie Banker

LOL. I am a huge fan. I believe, to share that way, you have to share the same Amazon account (i.e. let's all put in our credit/debit card info in the shared account grin).

You can share between Kindle devices or Kindle applications that are registered to your Amazon.com account. There is a limit of six Kindles, or Kindle compatible devices, that can be on one account. There is also a limit of the number of times you can share a book, usually six. Subscriptions to newspapers or periodicals cannot be shared on multiple devices. Books with a limit of less than six will give you a notice "Simultaneous Device usage: Up to X simultaneous devices, per publisher limits"

Here is an interesting approach.

eHow

Return to Top
#1485866 - 12/27/10 08:47 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Rie A
Loralie Offline
100 Club
Loralie
IL
I don't have a kindle, but I do have the kindle app on my ipod touch. I love that I can download books so quickly, and take so many books with me. It was especially helpful when I was in Israel this summer- I was able to take as many books as I wanted and not have to worry about weight limits! I still read my print books at home simply because the screen is so small, but I would use it more if it was a kindle or an ipad. But I just can't bring myself to spend the money on one when my touch does all the same things.

Return to Top
#1485872 - 12/27/10 08:54 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle Loralie
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Another thing I like about the Kindle is that I can change the font size (make it bigger) so I read without my glasses!

Return to Top
#1485874 - 12/27/10 08:55 PM Re: tell me why you love/hate your kindle RR Sarah
Peepers Offline
10K Club
like this?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6