Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
New Reply Thread Options
#1489428 - 01/04/11 09:15 PM RBP- Venting!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to vent.

Why does it seem that everytime I'm on the same exact risk based pricing questions are being asked that have been asked over the last several weeks? If people would take the time to reard, they would find the answers to the questions they have.

Second vent- I surely hope the regulatory agencies see these threads and understand the confusion this RBP provision has provided. More so, I hope that the FED realizes that their "guidance" on this topic is lacking. Even the most seasoned compliance officers had trouble with figuring out this one.

Last vent- How did some of you that are asking questions come to realization this late in the game that you needed to take action? This proposal was out for ages, it wasn't anything we didn't know what coming.

Done venting. Thank you. I understand its a public bulletin board and some people just come here for answers, but geesh, save us frequent visitors the trouble and just read! Chances are any question you have today has already been asked a hundered different ways.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1489437 - 01/04/11 09:22 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
I can't speak for the others, and I haven't asked any quesitons about this topic, but I can see how folks might try to find a quick answer. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed myself, end of year stuff, getting ready for FDIC exam EOM and basically just struggling to keep my head above water. Count yourself lucky if you are not frazzled by all that's going on and have a little compassion for the rest of us.

#1489445 - 01/04/11 09:29 PM Re: RBP- Venting! OnTheEdge
Anonymous
Unregistered

Never claimed to not be overwhelmed because I surely am. Its the same thing with the FDIC insurance change. How many people are going to ask about the IOLTA coverage and the disclosure? Seriously, the answers can only be given so many times.

So, you mean to tell me in the time it takes them to post the question and someone to write the answer and check back for the answer they can't click on the FACT forum and find ALL the answers they need right at their finger tips? Come on.....

As I said, I understand its a public forum and some may just come for quick answers. However, chances are if you have questions outstanding at this stage of the game it has been asked by someone else. Stop being so lazy! If you clicked the link to get here, you can click a few more for the answers. That's my point.

#1489480 - 01/04/11 09:43 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I've noticed the same thing whoever you are...it is aggravating..I've found myself retyping answers to the point my fingers are surely shorter, or at least pointier! wink

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

#1489484 - 01/04/11 09:47 PM Re: RBP- Venting! RR Joker
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its not always easy to hunt down the information you're looking for here. At some point it's easier to ask a question than it is to keep hunting. But I do appreciate everyone's patience and helpfulness. Perhaps there is an easier way to hunt for information that we aren't aware of? Is there a guide?

#1489503 - 01/04/11 10:01 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree. I cannot seem to master the search option. When I do try, I always seem to get several hundred results, most of which don't even apply to what I was looking for. I usually give up.

#1489505 - 01/04/11 10:02 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
the search funtion in BOL leaves a lot to be desired, if you are looking for specific information...much easier to retype your specific question and hope someone is kind enough to answer it

#1489510 - 01/04/11 10:14 PM Re: RBP- Venting! HappyGilmore
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Originally Posted By: RR joker
I've noticed the same thing whoever you are...it is aggravating..I've found myself retyping answers to the point my fingers are surely shorter, or at least pointier! wink

Me too! One thing I find frustrating is that no one puts in the subject line what it pretains to. So everytime I see a new post that says RBP, I click it thinking it might be something that hasn't been asked or that I was wondering myself only to find it has been asked by about 20 other people in 20 different ways. Why can't they say RBP- Notice to JTO Borrowers? Something that makes it easier for everyone across the board!

I have to agree with the ANON above though, it is a little late in the game to be asking some of the questions that are being asked at this point. It's not like we didn't know it was coming. We've known it was coming since FACTA was enacted, or sometime shortly thereafter.

Oh well, you win some, ya lose some.

#1489527 - 01/04/11 10:37 PM Re: RBP- Venting! J2C
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
So what exactly is Risk Based Pricing? Is this something I need to be working on?

Wow, it was just a joke- whew! My bad. -

but seriously - I don't ever get upset about similar posts, because I know what it's like to work at a 12 employee bank and people wear multiple hats and work on projects outside their sphere of experience - and what you may call by a phrase or term, I've never heard of.

My current experience has caused me to appreciate even more all of the kind folks on BOL who will lend an ear and the benefit of their combined experience to assist me, even if it is a dumb question - to the Orig Anon - if it bugs you, don't read it!

#1489666 - 01/05/11 02:04 PM Re: RBP- Venting! RBanker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I'm not really sure why this particular subject has created such a monster...I'll answer the questions (obviously), but even though alot of folks wear a lot of hats (we do that even in larger banks, btw), it takes my time to answer these questions that in the next subject line has also just been asked and answered.

For those of you having trouble with the search function, be sure you are usuing " marks around your key words...that usually helps a LOT.

It's also true that the more accurate you can make your subject line, the more successful folks searching for something specific will be able to find it.

FWIW, I'm rally not complaining...I don't think a complaint was warranted to begin with. Yes, it is a bit irritating, however perhaps this can be turned into a good discussion for if nothing else...maybe some newer folks may find some useful tidbits on how to search on this board a little bit better.

We have many regulatory changes ahead of us and there will be many, many questions yet to be asked...let's do our best to help our fellow bankers out..in fact..let's help all of us out by doing our best to stay in the loop all the way through a transition. That in itself answers a lot of questions that you may not have even thought of yet!
Last edited by RR joker; 01/05/11 02:09 PM.

#1489949 - 01/05/11 06:15 PM Re: RBP- Venting! RR Joker
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Yes, users could do a better job of assigning titles to their posts. And yes, a search before posting often supplies some really helpful answers. But folks will be folks and none of us is perfect.

For those of you who are, like me, occasionally frustrated by feeling the need to repeat something you've posted three or four times before, consider putting together a personal list of your best posts on the topic. Your list can be just links to the various threads in which you or someone else contributed something you think might bear repeating, included in a Word document (or Google doc or whatever) that you can copy from. I have started to use Google docs for this very reason, and I can access my few but accumulating "gems of wisdom" from anywhere I have an Internet connection.

Or the list can be paragraphs of text, organized by topic, from which you can copy and paste right into Threads. Just remember to review what you paste in to make sure it's still current (and update your source-book if you make changes).

I try hard to give credit where it's due. For example, if I've copied something sagacious that Ken Golliher wrote, I remember to give Ken credit (or the blame wink ) when I "borrow" it for an answer.

Last edited by John Burnett; 01/05/11 06:18 PM.
Bankers' Threads User #8

#1489962 - 01/05/11 06:27 PM Re: RBP- Venting! John Burnett
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:
if I've copied something sagacious that Ken Golliher wrote

I LOVE that...sagacious! What a great word!

#1489963 - 01/05/11 06:28 PM Re: RBP- Venting! John Burnett
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with HappyGilmore and R Banker. BOL has some of the worst search tools I have ever used online. Also, remember not all of us have been in banking or compliance for years, so this game may be fairly new to us. If you've ever used other blogs, you'll notice that instead of re-answering the same questions, bloggers will usually help each other by providing a link or directions to a similar thread(s). John Burnett makes an excellent point!

#1489964 - 01/05/11 06:32 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
We do that as well, quite often (link other posts)...but please understand that BOL is volumnous to say the least and sometimes it's just easier to answer again, rather than search and link an url.

In my case, I have to go thru so much to temporarily enable the function to allow linking to an url...it's almost not worth the time.

ETA: Please understand I'm not complaining, just stating facts. I don't have to answer questions in these forums, I do it because I want to and can.

Perhaps we should let this particular thread die. I'd hate for it to cause folks to be timid to ask questions...that's not what this forum is about.
Last edited by RR joker; 01/05/11 06:42 PM.

#1490039 - 01/05/11 07:21 PM Re: RBP- Venting! RR Joker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I agree with the periodic frustration at answering the same question over and over, especially when the answer lies just a few posts down on the same forum page. Grin and bear it or walk away and let someone else take a shot at it.

I also try to link whenever possible but considering I have a real job to do and BOL is just a quick in and out a couple of times a day, I can't spend a lot of time linking either.

As to searching, if you think you know who answered the last time, include their name in the search. Use " marks as joker incidated.

My best tip for searching would be to check off the little box at the bottom that says 'include a preview of the post body with results'. That actually gives you a line or two of the post so you don't have to go to each thread to see if it's the right one or not. You can speed read throught the previews and only go to the actual thread when you think you're getting close to your answer.

Original Anon, thanks for having the chutzpah to post on this. You opened a topic that many have thought about but no one else dared to tread.

#1490070 - 01/05/11 07:39 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
BOL has some of the worst search tools I have ever used online.

Agreed! I particularly can't figure out searching within threads, or limiting results to threads. But I found that I can also get a search engine to review the BOL content, i.e., by Googling:

rbp credit score exception:bankersonline

#1490093 - 01/05/11 08:00 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Are you using the advanced feature on the search? It has a drop down box that asks where you want to search and you can pick a particular forum or a couple of them. It also lets you enter a particular poster's name and it has that lovely preview feature I outlined in my post above.

#1490115 - 01/05/11 08:13 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Truffle Royale
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

I agree that the search engine leaves much to be desired. I've tried everything, and usually wind up with nothing that I'm looking for.

#1490129 - 01/05/11 08:29 PM Re: RBP- Venting!
Anonymous
Unregistered

As an example of the clunkiness here - on this page you're reading right now, where's the search function?

#1490133 - 01/05/11 08:30 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

P.S. I searched "rbp credit score exception" and got zero hits here, even though Google showed me 3 or 4 pages of hits on threads.

What "advanced" search option? I don't see links to that underneath the search box or from within the search results. Clunky!

#1490169 - 01/05/11 08:53 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
when you click on search, it will pop another box and under the dialoge box it says "advanced"...click on that for more options.

I know of no way of searching an individual thread, however.

#1490170 - 01/05/11 08:54 PM Re: RBP- Venting! RR Joker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
But then, maybe you don't get those options if you aren't registered, I'm not sure, I've always been registered.

#1490262 - 01/05/11 10:07 PM Re: RBP- Venting! RR Joker
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe it would help to have more sub-headings. Everything lumped under Lending is overwhelming. I especially like that RESPA is separated. Maybe separate Commercial, Consumer and Residential? It seems like they could try something different.

#1490280 - 01/05/11 10:29 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I have got to say "Boy am I glad I read this thread before I posted my question". I truly look at all the threads on a daily basis and have been trying to keep up with everything compliance wise. As a couple of people have already stated some of us are new to the game and have been having to pick up the pieces. I think the same question gets asked repeatedly because of a number of things: 1) the searching tool is not great 2) if you are able to actually find something close to what your question is it gets debated ten times over three pages later into the thread and it gets very confusing trying to figure out which response was actually the best answer 3) there are so many other questions thrown in before the original question's answer was agreed upon 4) sometimes we need that extra reassurance that what we are thinking is truly correct because someone changed a word in their response and now it seems we were not right after all. To say we are just lazy because we ask the same question again instead of searching is a little insulting. I for one truly try all options (the search tool here, google)before I ask a question.
To end on a good note - this is one of the best tools of the trade lets hope the official gurus and the not so official gurus don't get fed up because we are going to them for help.

#1490322 - 01/05/11 11:12 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
P.S. I searched "rbp credit score exception" and got zero hits here, even though Google showed me 3 or 4 pages of hits on threads.

What "advanced" search option? I don't see links to that underneath the search box or from within the search results. Clunky!

I searched and I got:

Quote:
Your search for 'rbp credit score exception' returned 200 results.

While not one of the best search engine, I don't feel BOL's is all that bad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale