Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
New Reply Thread Options
#1490456 - 01/06/11 02:07 PM Re: RBP- Venting! #Just Jay
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I'm glad to hear you say that JJ...I usually find what I want as well. I'm beginning to think maybe it has something to do with limits if you aren't a registered user, or are not using the right methods of searching. I'm not sure.

Of course, I'm not sure how many posting anonymously in here are, in fact, registered users just being anonymous in this thread. ::scratches head::

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1490517 - 01/06/11 02:44 PM Re: RBP- Venting! RR Joker
Kelsey D Offline
Platinum Poster
Ohio
The advanced search in BOL works for me, for the most part. When using key words, I've learned that you have to search the subject or the subject and body. Searching just the body doesn't work and will give you the most recent 200 threads with no consideration of the words you were searching for.

#1490601 - 01/06/11 03:25 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Kelsey D
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I agree with everything everyone said. Sometimes it gets old seeing the same question repeated but sometimes you find yourself reading so many threads under a search that you feel it would be so much easier to post your question again.

Or my problem - During a search while I'm reading the hits I find myself coming up with new questions that are not part of what I was looking for! cry

Here is my new saying for 2011 - IT TAKES A VILLAGE! grin

#1490609 - 01/06/11 03:30 PM Re: RBP- Venting! HRH Okie Banker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:
Or my problem - During a search while I'm reading the hits I find myself coming up with new questions that are not part of what I was looking for!

Doesn't that just make you mad when that happens!

#1490652 - 01/06/11 03:58 PM Re: RBP- Venting! RR Joker
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
^^ Yes because it starts the whole process over again. Search or post.....search or post......

I would guess that alot depends on someone's "absorption rate" at the time of research. Some threads can cause physical illness and a total shutdown of all brain activity (bless our hearts), unless you are a Guru.

#1490703 - 01/06/11 04:28 PM Re: RBP- Venting! HRH Okie Banker
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
This is just my opinion, but i agree kinda on both sides. The search option for me so far has been pretty much fruitless. On the other hand, i make regular trips to BOL and pretty much read all new posts and threads that pertain to what i do. By doing that, questions i didn't even know i had are answered before i know i needed them answered. I do think when it pertains to something like RBPN, it's fairly easy to find the thread you need by simply perusing the first page of the FCRA/FACT Act forum, as recent and prevalent are the posts on that subject. If somebody is only using BOL as a last option and don't really regularly read the threads, that's where i think the multiple postings come from. Some older topics, however, for people in my boat, relatively new to banking and compliance, where many know things like the back of their hand--some of those things are still problematic for some of us and the fact that this was discussed ad nauseum in 2004 doesn't help us. smile My two cents.

#1491708 - 01/07/11 07:11 PM Re: RBP- Venting! #Just Jay
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to those of you who don't mind re-explaining stuff, you're the smart kids in class!

#1491843 - 01/07/11 08:04 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
WHAT, Raitch! YOu don't like reading 1000 posts in one thread from 7 years ago...come on, dude! laugh

#1491972 - 01/07/11 08:52 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

not rbp related, but speaking of posts--it would help if any of the scores of folks who read a post would reply. I posted a question recently, had many, many hits, but ZERO responses.

#1492014 - 01/07/11 09:09 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
If you didn't get an answer, it might be because the question isn't clear enough. Or it's too particular to your bank.

Posters have pm'd me in the past and asked for help. As long as it's not hundreds of you, I don't mind helping or pointing you towards another BOLer who can help. You could also hit notify and ask the moderator of the forum to take a look at your post and answer or help modify it so it will be answered.

#1492045 - 01/07/11 09:25 PM Re: RBP- Venting! RR Joker
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: RR joker
WHAT, Raitch! YOu don't like reading 1000 posts in one thread from 7 years ago...come on, dude! laugh

To answer that, i'd first need to get the search option to work successfully for me. smile

#1492057 - 01/07/11 09:37 PM Re: RBP- Venting! raitchjay
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I guess what we need is a virtual search tour function!

#1492085 - 01/07/11 09:55 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Anonymous

not rbp related, but speaking of posts--it would help if any of the scores of folks who read a post would reply. I posted a question recently, had many, many hits, but ZERO responses.

As someone who has only been working in Compliance for little over a year, I read lots of posts, but rarely reply for a couple of reasons...
1) Don't want to look stupid--already feel that way most days anyway
2) Don't know the answer
3) Trying to learn everything I can and BOL is one way to stay on top of what's coming up
4) Even though I'm not working on the topic at the moment, who know when I will be. So the information may be useful in the future.

So don't knock us newbies, who are just trying to figure it out one day at a time wink

#1492093 - 01/07/11 10:01 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
We were all there at one time or another! Of course when I was a compliance newbie, compliance consisted of Reg Z before it got complicated.

I need to go dust off my slate and chalk now.
Bankers' Threads User #8

#1492363 - 01/10/11 04:10 PM Re: RBP- Venting! John Burnett
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Sometimes I respond just to see if I'm right. smile

As for newbies....I feel for you one hundred percent. My compliance focus is mainly lending and I've "grown up" with it over the course of about 30 years. I simply cannot imagine how someone, especially these days, can pick it up all at once......over-frickin'-whelming!! eek

#1493430 - 01/11/11 08:37 PM Re: RBP- Venting! swiggles
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been in banking about 13 years. I started as a drive thru teller. I have worked in almost every area of the bank (except backroom operations). About 3 years ago, I was promoted to compliance officer of our small bank. I consider myself to be a newbie, but I feel blessed to have "grown up" in banking. I had an awesome Compliance Officer when I first started in banking. She took so much pride in teaching us, and making sure we were trained correctly, and took the time to make sure we understood what all was going on. She gave me a very good foundation to build on. Soooo... all you compliance officers and professionals keep up the good work. You could be training a future compliance officer.

I feel like I am treading water everyday, and pretty much sinking. I have a LO who questions officers at other banks about what's going on. It is like he is testing everything I tell him that is going on.

I try to answer questions that I am sure of. If I don't know the answer, I do not want to give bad advice. I am so thankful for all of the guru's and all of the experienced compliance professionals who take time out of their busy schedules to answer our questions and keep BOL running.

THANKS!!!!

#1493467 - 01/11/11 08:56 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
LO's are the worlds worst about questioning compliance because..quite frankly, they often don't like the answers they get! LOL.

I was a LO for YEARS, but fortunately started out as a MLO and therefore had to be very compliant, so it transferred over to regular lending. Being exposed to many areas of banking certainly helps you to be what you are today. 3 years isn't very long, you are right! But everyday you learn more and more and honestly, I don't think this is a profession that you will ever know everything! wink

#1493523 - 01/11/11 09:32 PM Re: RBP- Venting! RR Joker
Anonymous
Unregistered

So only being in the Compliance postition for 1 year and feeling as though I know less now than when I started is pretty much normal!!! I know the constant swimming and sinking feeling all to well and I can say that the veterans in the compliance world give me hope that their is a floatation device periodically along the way!!

#1493534 - 01/11/11 09:37 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
^^^is VERY normal, yes!

::throws lollypop into the dark waters::

#1493560 - 01/11/11 10:15 PM Re: RBP- Venting! RR Joker
Anonymous
Unregistered

I try to use the search function and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If I feel like my question may have been asked and answered but I just can't find it - I usually put that information in my question. It probably still ticks some people off, but I feel a little better about asking the question with my little search disclosure. smile

To all who have helped me in the past, I am eternally grateful and hope to someday be as wise (and confident) as you. Thanks for your help!

#1493586 - 01/11/11 10:56 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Anonymous
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
It's kind of like we're lawyers without law degrees. I'm worried that the whole mess is getting so massive that the next Fed requirement will be that the compliance officer has to have a law degree! I don't even have a CRCM!! eek

#1493600 - 01/11/11 11:29 PM Re: RBP- Venting! swiggles
Moman Offline
Platinum Poster
WA
Amen to that - I've thought the same way, swiggles! Besides, I'm too old to get a CRCM.

#1493602 - 01/11/11 11:36 PM Re: RBP- Venting! Moman
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I'm not too old....though I AM old. wink I just flat don't have the study time. I'm unwilling to do it on my own personal time. If I can't study at the office, I'm not going to pursue certification. My personal time is my personal time.....period. The bank only gets about 45 hours out of me per week. That's it. They don't pay me nearly enough to invest more time than that. Worker bees don't get high salaries. Oh gosh! Am I venting on the venting thread? shocked

#1493620 - 01/12/11 01:41 AM Re: RBP- Venting! swiggles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Thank you to the anon who started this, whoever you are.
Misery loves company. smirk

#1493793 - 01/12/11 03:45 PM Re: RBP- Venting! swiggles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: swiggles
It's kind of like we're lawyers without law degrees.

No, we're superheros without capes... the one who is expected to come sweeping in and save the world (our bank) from the evil examiners, and not even get a hair out of place... A challenge I gladly accept cool

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale