Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1491118 - 01/06/11 09:53 PM What Bible version?
beegee Offline
Diamond Poster
South
I am looking at getting a new Bible Study Guide and have always been a King James Version guy. I have come across the NASB and NIV versions in my research. Does anyone have thoughts on these versions?

Thanks!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1491121 - 01/06/11 09:57 PM Re: What Bible version? beegee
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
King James

Return to Top
#1491134 - 01/06/11 10:06 PM Re: What Bible version? Bec
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I read the NAB.

The following is found on this page and it says the following regarding NASB AND NIV:

http://www.godonthe.net/evidence/versions.htm

NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION (NIV)

This is the most popular of the modern translations and since the mid-1980's has been the best-selling English-language translation. If a church's leaders do not specifically insist on using the King James Version, they will most likely recommend that the congregation use the New International Version.

DISADVANTAGES
"Dynamic equivalence" means that a translator doesn't always translate the words, but rather the meaning. All translations use "dynamic equivalence" to some degree. For instance, there is a Russian proverb "One soldier does not make an army." One Russian translator translated that into English by substituting the English proverb "You can't fight City Hall." Many places in the New Testament refer to specific amounts of ancient currency, e.g., "200 denarii". The NIV translators often substitute the value, e.g., "eight months of a man's wages", whereas the NKJV translates literally "200 denarii."

Note that "dynamic equivalence" is not a paraphrase. Dynamic equivalence applies to individual words or phrases, not whole sentences or paragraphs.

In some places the NIV translators deliberately mistranslate pronouns to make it clear whom is being referred to.

BENEFITS
The NIV is highly-respected for its accuracy in conveying meaning. According to the translators, the text is aimed at seventh-grade reading level. Even people of less than average education or intelligence can understand the language whether they are reading it or hearing it. The footnotes usually indicate where the translators have substituted words. If someone is not using the King James Version, it is most likely he will be using the NIV.

The NIV completely does away with antiquated language such as "thou, thee, thine, hast, hath, doeth."

Dynamic equivalence is both a benefit and a problem. For deep, scholarly evaluation substitution of words is sometimes a problem, but for the average reader it helps.

NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE (NASB)
This is a highly-respected, high-quality modern translation, although it is less popular than the NKJV or NIV. Generally, the same comments that apply to the NIV apply to the NASB. The major difference is that NASB uses the least dynamic equivalence. In other words, it follows the original text somewhat more closely than either the NIV or the NKJV.

Do not confuse the New American Standard Bible (NASB) an interdenominational Protestant version, with the New American Bible (NAB), which is a Roman Catholic version that includes the Apocrypha.

Return to Top
#1491141 - 01/06/11 10:10 PM Re: What Bible version? QCL
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
I've always been an NIV reader, but last year I got an Amplified NAS and I absolutely love it!!! My pastor and a few others from my church like the New Living Translation.

Return to Top
#1491142 - 01/06/11 10:11 PM Re: What Bible version? Bec
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I like them both. Depending on what you read, some will say that the NASB is a more true translation. The NIV is easy to read though (NASB is as well).

Return to Top
#1491146 - 01/06/11 10:23 PM Re: What Bible version? Lestie G
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
I have an NIV Life Application Bible that I really like. There is a section on each page that gives the reader practical information about each verse.

I've downloaded a Bible app onto my Droid and it's got every version imaginable so when I find a verse I like, often times I will read it in other versions to see how it's translated.

Return to Top
#1491223 - 01/07/11 12:41 PM Re: What Bible version? Busy Bee, CRCM
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I've read both the NIV and the NLT in their entirety and I've read much of the KJV. I found the NLT to be a little better to understand, but sometimes missed familiar phrasing of some favorite verses. I don't have a study guide for the NLT, but I use a program on my iPad called PocketBible by Laridian, and it allows me to have open simultaneously several different Bible versions and commentaries all synced to the same place. So I can have KJV and NLT open side by side to cross-reference and see similarities and differences.
Last edited by CessnaFlyboy; 01/07/11 12:42 PM.

Return to Top
#1491225 - 01/07/11 12:51 PM Re: What Bible version? RVFlyboy
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Another option would be to get a parallel Bible. That way you will have 3 or 4 versions side by side in one book for research and comparison.

Return to Top
#1491236 - 01/07/11 01:23 PM Re: What Bible version? beegee
A_G Offline
10K Club
GIN

Return to Top
#1491239 - 01/07/11 01:25 PM Re: What Bible version? Purple Pride
gacompliancegirl Offline
100 Club
hanging on by a thread
I have always been a King James user myself, but a few years ago got the New King James. I do like it. My preacher uses it also. Many in our church also use the NIV and love it.

Return to Top
#1491244 - 01/07/11 01:35 PM Re: What Bible version? gacompliancegirl
GLKS Offline
Gold Star
My go to is the NRSV. Can't say why, just speaks to me. I also have a NIV and KJV to cross reference. Sometimes I will take my NIV to our Bible study as this is what most of the others use and it makes it easier to follow along if we are reading aloud. I find the language of the KJV to be burdensome in some places and lyrically quite beautiful in others.

Return to Top
#1491268 - 01/07/11 01:53 PM Re: What Bible version? GLKS
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I use the NRSV Study Bible as well. I grew up with the KJV and love the language,but it does not make it easy to understand. I also have the new KJV which gets rid of the "thees and thous" and uses words that are the same meaning but in today's parlance. The meaning of words does change over time and its important that the words be in the context of what was meant at the time it was written and not in context of how we understand that word today.

I also like "The Message". It reads like any other book and some versions doen't even have verses.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1491281 - 01/07/11 02:05 PM Re: What Bible version? waldensouth
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I would recommend any of the following:

The Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible (NIV)
The Reformation Study Bible (ESV)
The ESV Study Bible (ESV)
The Geneva Study Bible (NKJV)

Return to Top
#1491297 - 01/07/11 02:23 PM Re: What Bible version? Sinatra Fan
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
QCL highlights nicely the key difference between the two translations. The NASB is closer to word-for-word, and the NIV is closer to thought-for-thought. The flow and syntax of the NASB will be more familiar to you as a KJV reader, but the NIV and the New Living Translation (NLT- which Jim mentioned), both follow a modern syntax and stylistically, are easier for the modern reader.

The question is- how do you intend to use this particular Bible? In depth study? Everyday reading? That may help you decide which translation is best for this particular purpose.

Return to Top
#1491301 - 01/07/11 02:32 PM Re: What Bible version? JacF
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I prefer the KVJ but will go with the NASB depending on need.

Return to Top
#1491443 - 01/07/11 04:31 PM Re: What Bible version? QCL
RobinS Offline
100 Club
NorthWest
Originally Posted By: QCL – MamaBEAR
I read the NAB.

Do not confuse the New American Standard Bible (NASB) an interdenominational Protestant version, with the New American Bible (NAB), which is a Roman Catholic version that includes the Apocrypha. [/i]

My FAVORITE book of the Apocrypha: Bel and the Dragon

Return to Top
#1491470 - 01/07/11 04:42 PM Re: What Bible version? RobinS
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I love all the translations, you can't have too many.

For memory, the NASB seems to be the easiest, perhaps because it is more literal, the modern day thought translations are more difficult to memorize.

Return to Top
#1491484 - 01/07/11 04:51 PM Re: What Bible version? Pale Rider
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I have a Nelson KJV study Bible, (really like it) but it is ready to be replaced, a lot of pages are starting to fall out. Also like the parallel versions, the one I am considering has the KJV, NIV, NASB and the New Living Translation to compare.

Return to Top
#1491580 - 01/07/11 05:45 PM Re: What Bible version? gacompliancegirl
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
NIV, easy to read. I have always liked reading the bible like a novel. Easier to read over and over. Im sure a new one will trip my fancy eventually. As long as the story is not changed, I like them all.

Return to Top
#1491601 - 01/07/11 06:00 PM Re: What Bible version? Bankbb1, PITA
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Originally Posted By: bankbb1
NIV, easy to read. I have always liked reading the bible like a novel. Easier to read over and over. Im sure a new one will trip my fancy eventually.

The NIV has been updated- the 2010 version is already available online at www.biblegateway.com, and the print version should be hitting shelves early this year (perhaps this month- I'm not exactly sure).

Return to Top
#1491701 - 01/07/11 07:09 PM Re: What Bible version? JacF
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
NIV

Return to Top