Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#149140 - 01/13/04 04:02 PM Don't Have a Hobby??
COMPLIcated Offline
Diamond Poster
OK
Is there anyone out there that doesn't have a "hobby"??!! I filled out an application for our bank's Secret Pal program for a new year and it said to list any hobbies and I just went blank. I used to have time to dabble in creative things or even reading (other than homework and medicine dosages ) but now the only thing I could think of was shuttle driver and lunch-maker to three children under the age of 9!! I felt very useless...anyone in the same situation?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#149141 - 01/13/04 04:07 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Other than reading, I don't have much time for hobbies either!
I have one 8 yr old (I couldn't imagine having more than one, gee you are brave!).
Hobbies I used to love: swimming, horsebackriding & show jumping, member of the Friends of the Library...
Now, similar to what you said, it is homework, vitamins, and what's for dinner!

Return to Top
#149142 - 01/13/04 04:17 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
And when we do have time, we are too tired to do anything!

Return to Top
#149143 - 01/13/04 04:18 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I used to read and cross-stitch. I have thought recently of learning to crochet. I do work in the yard during those months and I love to bake. I just try not to do it too often. I sound quite boring.

Return to Top
#149144 - 01/13/04 04:36 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
complaining about the BCS has become a hobby. Actually, I think that BOL could almost be listed as a hobby for some of us!

Return to Top
#149145 - 01/13/04 04:40 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

I think that BOL could almost be listed as a hobby for some of us!

What do you mean Almost....?

Return to Top
#149146 - 01/13/04 04:43 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
The only hobby I have time for is reading, and at that it's only for 15 minutes before bed but by reading I'm so tired and don't make it past a couple of pages. I agree with Elena and Jeremy though, BOL is a part-time hobby.

Return to Top
#149147 - 01/13/04 04:52 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
It's a pretty positive indicator when you see that people (like me, for example) have posted messages on Saturday night. It's not like I don't have cable, a DVD player, good music to jam to (Evanescence seems to be working for me currently) and homework to do. Obviously, I have BOL on the brain, even on weekends.

Return to Top
#149148 - 01/13/04 05:24 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
Czargazer Offline
Gold Star
Czargazer
Pacific Northwest
How about those who do have hobbies? I'm curious as to what odd hobbies people have. Personally I knit... chainmail that is. Lately I have mostly been doing dice pouches for game stores, but I do necklaces and other jewelry too.

Return to Top
#149149 - 01/13/04 05:56 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Forget having time for hobbies, we just received our annual community service questionaire here at the bank. Aside from a few public speaking engagements about fraud and belonging to one or two organizations that I don't attend meetings for because of a lack of time, mine is completely blank. I guess my only "hobby" would be remodeling, and after 15 years of remodeling our home, it is not as much fun as it used to be!

Return to Top
#149150 - 01/13/04 06:59 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
COMPLIcated Offline
Diamond Poster
OK
Quote:

Quote:

I think that BOL could almost be listed as a hobby for some of us!

I do not even turn on my home PC...the last thing I want to do at home is surf the net or read emails after being on one all day at work. I never check my home email and I know there are some old chums that think I have completely dropped off of the face of the earth!

Return to Top
#149151 - 01/13/04 09:42 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I'd be happy to share a few of my hobbies with ya'll.

I think I'll keep the wine collecting one...but ya'll can have cigars, quilting, home remodeling, beading, jewelry collecting and umm a couple of furry cats

Knitting chain mail? CZ do you use yarn or metal? That would be an intimidating little propject to do on a plane

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#149152 - 01/13/04 10:02 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
Czargazer Offline
Gold Star
Czargazer
Pacific Northwest
At this point, for the pouches at least, I mostly use stainless steel and annodized (colored) aluminum. Occasionally I'll use titanium or acid etched aluminum. Although for jewelry I like to use bronze or copper as well, they add a nice touch.

Sample pouch 1
Sample Pouch 2

Can't say I've tried doing it on a plane (if I could even get past the bloody metal detectors) but I have managed to do quite a bit of knitting while traveling via car.

Return to Top
#149153 - 01/13/04 10:02 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
I was just complaining to my husband last night that he has more hobbies than he has time for, and I just work and come home to work some more (cleaning, cooking, caring for my 3 and 7 year olds...) But I wouldn't know what to do if I had the time. I love spending time with my kids...so I guess that is my hobby for now!

Return to Top
#149154 - 01/13/04 10:05 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Those are pretty cool CZ! Nifty hobby

Return to Top
#149155 - 01/13/04 10:09 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Sample pouch 1
Sample Pouch 2

Very Cool!

Return to Top
#149156 - 01/13/04 10:52 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
Kwiltr Offline
100 Club
Quote:

...but ya'll can have cigars, quilting, home remodeling, beading, jewelry collecting and umm a couple of furry cats

Oh, please, say it isn't so? You've given up quilting? And cats? I just bought some wonderful cat print fabric last weekend. Now on to the scanner and quilt design software...

Return to Top
#149157 - 01/13/04 11:09 PM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Heh heh, no I haven't given up either. Just wishful thinking.

I'm buying myself a yard of fabric for every pound I lose My stash is growing.

(I just found the greatest cat print...it's cats in famous art photo's!) I also found some antique screen printed cats I'm going to add to a crazy quilt.

I could give up half of the hobby and stiff have plenty to do I'm sitting here in my office with two quilt tops draped from the bookshelf and about 10 yards of fabric on the floor behind me. I'm no where near giving it up

Return to Top
#149158 - 01/14/04 03:52 AM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

I was just complaining to my husband last night that he has more hobbies than he has time for, and I just work and come home to work some more

That sounds like life in my house! While I have officially retired from one of my hobbies (collectible card games,) I have plenty of others that compete for what little spare time I have:
Reading (I actually do a little reading everyday.)
Plastic model building
Playing chess
Counted cross-stitch (yes, you heard me correctly.)
Gardening
Writing (mostly poetry, but I am working on some fantasy fiction as well.)

My wife suffers from similar time constraints, though her hobby interests are more focused than mine (scrapbooking and baking.)

What makes things interesting is that all six of our children have taken an interest in at least one of the above, and try to participate to the best of their abilities. So we're forced to spread our hobby time across different activities, so the children can all have a fair level of participation.

Return to Top
#149159 - 01/14/04 04:45 AM Re: Don't Have a Hobby??
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
When I occasionally get to work on it, genealogy has become my hobby. Not much time lately but I did find a gentleman in England over the holidays with whom I share a greatgreatgreatgrandfather in Ireland. (We would be third cousins or first cousins twice removed if I could keep that straight.) We were both quite excited!

Regarding those bank questionnaires, in a former life I answered one by saying that as soon as my job allowed me to go home before 10 p.m. I would be more than happy to join some groups that would be beneficial to the bank!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top