Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#149213 - 01/13/04 05:00 PM How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
I myself have tried to get back on the low-carb band wagon. I was curious how everyone else was doing.

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#149214 - 01/13/04 06:11 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
All I know is: Dawnie wants a cracker! Dawnie wants a cracker!

Return to Top
#149215 - 01/13/04 07:26 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
I started last Monday, already down 10. But then, I have a lot to give.

Return to Top
#149216 - 01/13/04 10:04 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I'm down 9 (without crackers!) but I just put a small piece of scone in my mouth....If I spit it out will that cut down on the carbs?

I'm taking Q10, L Cartanine, L Glutamine and carb busters....even with cheating I'm staying in the purples so..I'd guess I'm ok.

Just tried an atkins potatoE chip. THEY ARE HORRIBLE!!!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#149217 - 01/14/04 02:31 AM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

potatoE chip

I take it your spelling is an editorial comment on what the chips taste like?

Return to Top
#149218 - 01/14/04 12:41 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Dawnie - is that like not inhaling?

Return to Top
#149219 - 01/14/04 03:14 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
BeachGirl Offline
100 Club
Myrtle Beach, SC
I started back last week and lost 4 in 4 days, but then I blew it over the weekend and gained 3 back! Oh well, I'll keep trying, but not today. It's my birthday and I plan to eat cake!!! and pasta...and bread...and drink some wine...! MMMMM!

Return to Top
#149220 - 01/14/04 03:16 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Happy B-Day BeachGirl, enjoy it

Return to Top
#149221 - 01/14/04 04:35 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Uncle_Milty Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
Doing great. Started Jan 03, was down 45 lbs by Thanksgiving. My wife and I declared a break from then through New Years, I gained 12 back. Since New Year's I have lost 9 of those and feel back on track. It feels great to be back on the low carb lifestyle - it just seems that the body responds very well to it.

Return to Top
#149222 - 01/14/04 05:28 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
I am curious, so what are you guys/gals doing. Eating only meat 3 times a day?

Can a Vegetarian be on an Atkins diet?

Return to Top
#149223 - 01/14/04 07:09 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was on no-carb in the past and did well with it and really felt good. But as things go I got off the track. But or is that BUTT I am back on it for the past week. Lost 7 pounds the first week and another 2 yesterday. I have a 66 mile drive to work so on the way I eat a low carb bar and some coffee. About 10am I have another bar then for lunch I have a no-carb shake. Throughout the day I snack on some nuts which are low carb. Then at night I have a hunk of meat (fish, chicken, pork, or beef) and a small salad. I never really seem to feel hungry.

Return to Top
#149224 - 01/14/04 07:38 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Uncle_Milty Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
Quote:

I am curious, so what are you guys/gals doing. Eating only meat 3 times a day?

Can a Vegetarian be on an Atkins diet?

I can't imagine it would be easy for a vegetarian. I typically don't eat breakfast, but sometimes on weekends have eggs and bacon. Lunch is either leftover meat or a small salad (veggies have some low carb values) with some tuna, chicken or egg salad. Dinner is usually meat, either white or red, or fish. Sometimes a small veggie as well.

You can snack all you want. Hard boiled eggs, pepperoni, some cheese (small carb value), Atkins candy bar, some nuts, etc. Atkins has a lot of low carb items, but some like the chips are just not too tasty.

Atkins is not a no carb plan - everyone needs some carbs, the trick is just to watch them pretty carefully.

Return to Top
#149225 - 01/14/04 08:18 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Peepers Offline
10K Club
The trick, for me, is to eat a lot of times each day.

Eggs in the morning, beef sticks in the late morning, more meat (brats, chicken, etc.) for lunch, hard boiled eggs an hour or so after lunch, nuts and cheese to snack on later.

This way, I'm never hungry.

I started this a year or so ago and found it works so much better with regular exercise (which could simply be walking a few nights a week).

Also, Sundays are a 'cheat' day. Eat what I want. By setting one day aside, I find it gives me the will to stick to the plan during the week. It gives me something to look forward to as sort of a reward.

Return to Top
#149226 - 01/14/04 08:42 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
mfc Offline
mfc
Oklahoma
Quote:

Also, Sundays are a 'cheat' day. Eat what I want. By setting one day aside, I find it gives me the will to stick to the plan during the week. It gives me something to look forward to as sort of a reward.

I was on the Atkins a year ago and lost 23 pounds in 4 months. I did exercise a lot too. I did hear that if you are going to cheat, eat the "bad" food within one hour and it won't effect your blood sugar, and you won't get out of ketosis. ( I think I read it in one of his books)

Return to Top
#149227 - 01/14/04 09:06 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Suwannee Offline
Platinum Poster
Suwannee
Florida
I went on Atkins back in 1999. Lost about 40 pounds in 8 months. I got off track and have now gained it all back, plus some. I am having trouble getting on it and staying. I tried Weight Watchers, but it wasn't for me. Atkins is the easiest diet I have ever been on. There are so many myths going around about it. I received a letter from WW the other day downing the Atkins diet. They had it all wrong. I never felt so good as when I was eating the Atkins way. It is the best way to eat. Gotta get back on it again.......and stay there.

Return to Top
#149228 - 01/14/04 09:11 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
There was a 20/20 episode (or Date Line) recently where they got together 6 people who graduated in the class of 1978 that were overweight. They chose one of six diets (Atkins; WW; hypnosis; exercise; Slim Fast; and something else I don't remember) to see if they could lose the weight prior to their 25th high school reunion. Each wanted to lose 30 pounds or more (one wanted to lose 100). All of them made their goal (they had 10 months) and looked great.

Return to Top
#149229 - 01/15/04 03:08 AM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
The Food channel out here has been showing a special on Low Carb. It talked about Atkins, South Beach and another book by a nutritionist. The story line was all about the fact that low carb appears to be here to stay and that businesses are adapting with low carb products. It was a great show. Motivated me a little bit more to stick with it.

Return to Top
#149230 - 01/15/04 04:29 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I started the Atkin's diet last January also, lost about 30lbs. Went off of it late fall and it all came back on PLUS more. Now I am back on, struggling. It is harder this time around. I don't know why.

The one thing I don't like about this diet, is that it is EXPENSIVE! When are they going to lower the prices?

Return to Top
#149231 - 01/15/04 04:53 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
I think it is harder the second time around to stay on it too. I did really well the first time. I lost the weight and followed my own maintenance program. Then I got pregnant. I only gained 44 pounds with the pregnancy... and lost all but 6 pounds. I got used to eating what I wanted... you know for the baby. Now I still think... everyone else can eat what they want... why can't I?

But... once you start seeing results... it is really easy to stay focused. I too allow myself to cheat on Saturdays and sometimes Sundays too! Then monday I'm back at it!

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
#149232 - 01/15/04 04:58 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Suwannee Offline
Platinum Poster
Suwannee
Florida
I saw that episode too. It really got my ire up because the guy that went on Atkins lost the most weight and he didn't get the highest award. I think the television producers have a "thing" against the Atkins diet. It wouldn't have mattered, but they gave the first four awards according to how much weight the individuals had lost. They should have stuck with their way of giving the awards. In my opinion, it made the show's producers look like idiots!! It was Dateline.

Return to Top
#149233 - 01/15/04 05:46 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
I went on Atkins a year or so ago and my Cholesterol shot up so high, the Oklahoma Blood Institute wanted me to participate in their study! I had lost 13 pounds in a pretty short amount of time, but it scared me and I quit. I have since heard that the cholesterol issue works itself out if you stick it out. So..............I'm gonna try again. My dilema: Since I quit smoking I have developed a wicked sunflower seed habit. Is that okay for Atkins (I don't have my book with me) or do I need to stop them? Also, isn't caffeine free diet pop okay? I have eaten bacon for breakfast the last 2 days, and salads with Fajita grilled chicken breast for lunch. No dinner. (Just not hungry in the evenings) What do you think?

Return to Top
#149234 - 01/15/04 05:52 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I believe Diet RC and Diet Rite pop are the only approved ones due to the saccharin.

Return to Top
#149235 - 01/15/04 05:53 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

I believe Diet RC and Diet Rite pop are the only approved ones due to the saccharin.

How about aspartame?

Return to Top
#149236 - 01/15/04 05:56 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
That's it! I knew it was one of those articfical sweetener thingys!!!

Return to Top
#149237 - 01/15/04 05:58 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

That's it! I knew it was one of those articfical sweetener thingys!!!

Is aspartame good or bad? And do you know about sunflower seeds?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3