Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#149238 - 01/15/04 06:09 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
Sunflower seeds have 5.6 carbo/gr per 1 oz. of seeds. for the diet soda... I think diet everything is zero carbs. The caffeine free is good. I know the first time I tried the diet I followed everything to the T for the first 2 weeks and could not lose two pounds. I drank a lot of coffee. I read the fine print... "Caffeine mimics the effects of sugar on blood glucose levels by stimulating insulin release. It should be avoided by those who suspect they are caffeine dependent and taken in limited quantities by others."

I used to snack on nuts. I found that that was bad... since I never really had an idea of how much I ate. Now I have to measure so I don't go over board. Same with peanut butter. I have a jar and a spoon in my drawer. By the end of the day I could easily have eaten half the jar. Totally defeats the purpose.

I bought some of the Atkins chocolate shake powder. I really enjoy a cup of hot chocolate now and then. 8 oz cup = 3 grams of carbs. Heated in the microwave... just like hot chocolate.

A women at work came up with a great egg dish. 8 eggs scrambled (I added 1/2 cup s. cream to the eggs), 1/2 bag frozen chopped brocolli, 1/2 bag frozen onion/pepper mix, 1 box frozen chopped spinach (cooked and drained), 4 oz feta cheese, 1 1/2 cups cheese (your choice of flavor) seasoning (I bought the greek seasoned feta). Layer all the goodies in a pie pan(the bigger the better) and then pour the eggs on top. Bake 375-400 for 40 minutes or until done. Yummmmm

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#149239 - 01/15/04 06:15 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Whatever it is that is in most diet sodas is bad. However, it's not in Diet RC and Diet Rite and both are also caffeine free.

Return to Top
#149240 - 01/15/04 07:04 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Sunflower seeds have 1.5 grams of net carbs in 2 tbs. (3.4 total less 1.9 fiber). I'm not really sure about the aspartame, but I think Atkins likes it.

Return to Top
#149241 - 01/15/04 07:19 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Uncle_Milty Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
Quote:

I believe Diet RC and Diet Rite pop are the only approved ones due to the saccharin.

I don't know which one of his books I read on this, but I know he suggested Diet Orange if you need to include soda. I have become a Diet Slice junkie.

Return to Top
#149242 - 01/15/04 07:20 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
I'm pretty sure Atkins tells you to avoid anything with saccharin and aspartame. That's the reason for the Diet Rite suggestion.

Return to Top
#149243 - 01/15/04 08:01 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Georgia Golfer Offline
Gold Star
Georgia Golfer
1st Tee
I've been on the Atkins thing since the 1st. I drink Diet Coke all day long & throw in a few chicken wings at lunch and anything I want for dinner as long as it doesn't have bread, pasta, or potatoes. Is Diet Coke bad for the diet? Why would any diet drink without carbs be bad for the diet?

Return to Top
#149244 - 01/15/04 08:16 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
To be honest, I don't know. I guess saccharin and aspartame have some kind of effect on your blood sugar, but that's just a guess. I suppose if you are still losing weight, it does't matter!

Return to Top
#149245 - 01/15/04 08:18 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The sodium content in diet soda is the "killer". I am a Diet Coke junkie (have been for years). I am not doing the Atkins/Low Carb diet, but I am working out at a gym w/ a trainer/nutritionist and she said that I can only have one or two cans of soda per day. I've really taken a liking to Iced Tea and water.

Return to Top
#149246 - 01/15/04 08:19 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
Quote:

I've been on the Atkins thing since the 1st. I drink Diet Coke all day long & throw in a few chicken wings at lunch and anything I want for dinner as long as it doesn't have bread, pasta, or potatoes. Is Diet Coke bad for the diet? Why would any diet drink without carbs be bad for the diet?

To quote Atkins... "Asparatame requires a special note of explanation. Whereas virtually all published scientific studies show asparatame to be safe, there has been a great volume of word-of-mouth complaints attesting to its potential risk (headaches, irritability, seizure disorder, and vision problems, among others, have all been claimed).

My concern is its possible adverse effects on weight and sugar metabolism. I have taken scores of asparatame-users who seemed to be metabolicallly resistant to weight loss off this sweetner and observed weight loss to resume. Accordingly, I recommend its use only in small quantities (less than 3 packets of Equal or equivalent daily)."

Return to Top
#149247 - 01/15/04 08:25 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Georgia Golfer Offline
Gold Star
Georgia Golfer
1st Tee
Rut, Ro, Reorge!!! I have noticed the sodium thing but can't imagine not having my Diet Coke!! I do get headaches every now and then, though. I always thought they were HMDA induced!!

Return to Top
#149248 - 01/15/04 09:32 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Rut, Ro, Reorge!!! I have noticed the sodium thing but can't imagine not having my Diet Coke!! I do get headaches every now and then, though. I always thought they were HMDA induced!!

As a former Diet Pepsiaholic, I now really prefer Sams choice from WalMart. No sugar, No caffeine, but I don't know what it is sweetened with.

Return to Top
#149249 - 01/15/04 10:52 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you see where Burger King is coming out next week with a low carb version of the Wopper...It is called the Whimper.

Return to Top
#149250 - 01/16/04 01:17 AM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
You can have diet sodas if they have Splenda in them. I've found a pepsi like soda that has it. Apparently Splenda is the most sugar like (natural sugar) artifical sweetener so it processes in your body better than the other two.

I'm pretty happy with the weight loss and the ability to make Atkins work in my lifestyle. It's just not possible for me to go to a coctail party and weigh out six ounces of whatever I'm allowed! Also, the "no liqour" think always got in my way. I umm kinda like my wine ya know. (1 carb for white wine, 2 for a glass of red). Any diet that allows 20 glasses of white wine a day is a good diet in my book!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#149251 - 01/16/04 07:35 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm an Atkins success story, I guess - over 30 lbs. lost between 3/01 and 8/01, and still off.
I learned to drink plenty of fluids, mostly the Diet Rite family sodas, and to make sure I did NOT increase my overall calorie intake once I dropped the carbs.
Other than the candy bars, I don't eat the low-carb substitute products. Instead I've increased the amount of veggies and fruit I eat. Restaurants are better about either doubling the veggie side dishes and not serving the potatoes/rice sides if you ask. Maybe because I don't get the low-carb specialty foods, I found that my grocery bills went down, not up, since I went on Atkins.
All cardiovascular tests look quite good (and my honey thinks I look pretty good, too! What an incentive to keep this up!). It was great to take my "fat" clothes to Goodwill.

Return to Top
#149252 - 01/16/04 08:11 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
Does Splenda have any adverse reactions.. such as gas or diarrhea? I am afraid to try it....

I just noticed that wishbone now has a zero carb ranch and italian dressing... made with Splenda.

Return to Top
#149253 - 01/16/04 08:23 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
I've used the Splenda in a low carb version of cheesecake. Didn't have any complaints!

Return to Top
#149254 - 01/16/04 08:26 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
It's not bothering me in any way. The flavor isn't bad (I don't like the pink stuff) and I'm using more than the 3 packages a day atkins advises.

Return to Top
#149255 - 01/16/04 09:00 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I have used Splenda instead of sugar on cereal, etc. It is just like using sugar. Tastes better than the other stuff too!

Return to Top
#149256 - 01/20/04 10:41 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
JeloQuen Offline
JeloQuen
Middle America
While I am not currently following any of the low-carb programs, I did cut down on carbs by cutting out potatos, rice, pasta & bread. I lowered my triglicerides (sp) by 285 points in 3 months!

I wanted to mention that I found an loaf of rye bread at the grocers a couple weeks ago that has only 3 net carbs. It has the Adkins name on the packaging, and tastes great.

Return to Top
#149257 - 01/21/04 12:14 AM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Saturday food diary (I don't keep one but this one "stuck" with me).

Sweet Roll for Breakfast
Pizza for Lunch
Bread and Cheese Appatizer
Lasagna for Dinner
Cream Puffs for Desert
Oh and the allowed glasses of wine of course!

Umm I over Atkinsed

Today...back to the program!

Return to Top
#149258 - 01/21/04 12:45 AM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
cbu3 Offline
Gold Star
CA
I've been on Atkins since August - so far I have lost 53 pounds! I chose to go off during Christmas and New Year's; call it my sabbatical. I was careful, and didn't go crazy, and I can proudly say that I still lost a pound during those two weeks, even though I enjoyed a number of non-Atkins friendly favorite dishes!

I'm back to being diligent with it, after all, summer is just around the corner, even though it doesn't feel like it outside!

Return to Top
#149259 - 01/21/04 02:29 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
mfc Offline
mfc
Oklahoma
I depserately want to get back on Atkins. I have been on it before and I don't think I can eat another egg as long as I live. I could do without a salad too. My biggest problem is eating lunch at work. What do some of you bring for lunch?

Return to Top
#149260 - 01/21/04 03:01 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
I usually bring a salad with a big scoop of chicken or tuna (sometimes egg) salad. I crumble bacon on top and sometimes add a hard-boiled egg and/or some olives. I find it quite filling and it takes me a long time to eat it so it feels like I'm eating a lot (as opposed to when I only eat a Carb-Wise bar - which tastes fine to me but only takes a few minutes to eat).

Return to Top
#149261 - 01/21/04 06:05 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
Usual lunch - a McDonald's grilled chicken caesar salad. It's filling, and for $4, it's a deal.

Return to Top
#149262 - 01/21/04 06:08 PM Re: How are the Atkins/South Beach people doing?
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Do you use the light dressing???

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3