Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1494535 - 01/13/11 04:05 PM Travel & gift card monitoring
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
During a recent internal audit, they made an observation that we are not formally reviewing the sales of these for suspicious activity. We are basically an agent through Metabank, we only sell to bank customers and never sell them for cash (only by on-us check or transfer from a savings). We do enter each sale into a handwritten log (love them! not!), but there is no formal review on a regular basis.

One of the attractive features in partnering with Metabank was that they technically hold the "accounts" upon the sale of the items, so they don't belong to us once we process the sale. Metabank also has their own BSA/AML requirements.

I'm curious as to what other banks are doing. Thanks for your help! smile

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1494571 - 01/13/11 04:28 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring BowlingQueen
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
During a recent internal audit, they made an observation that we are not formally reviewing the sales of these for suspicious activity.

I suggest you flatly reject the suggestion. Your self imposed limitations are conservative and prudent. There is no cash involved and you do not have enough information beyond the point of sale to identify suspicious activity.

Return to Top
#1494585 - 01/13/11 04:34 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring Elwood P. Dowd
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
Problem is, it's too late because it already made it to the "final" report and now we are probably going to be held to what the CO erroneously entered for our response....that the compliance assistant will monitor for suspicious activity! mad He never involved the person who's in charge of the program and KNOWS what Metabank's requirements and responsibilities are and the fact that we are SO conservative in our sales of the cards.

So now....I have to do SOMETHING about it! frown

Return to Top
#1494591 - 01/13/11 04:37 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring BowlingQueen
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I would amend the plan that was submitted. It is not the 10 commandments carved in stone.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1494597 - 01/13/11 04:41 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring BowlingQueen
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
You are fortunate that the recommendation came in an internal audit. I suggest you and the CO get together and recant that earlier commitment, bolstering your case with details about the controls already in place and the fact that you never are privy to how the card funds are used. Then spend some time encouraging the CO to consult with management before making such commitments.

In fact, it's really not the CO's purview to be responding to such a recommendation. That's a business unit or management responsibility.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1494603 - 01/13/11 04:44 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring Kathleen O. Blanchard
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
Ok, but then, back to my question. wink What ARE other banks doing? Our management response (CO's response) is not feasible and I need to come up with something that makes some sense and won't be unnecessarily time-consuming and useless. He stated that "compliance assistant will monitor both gift and travel card purchases via website reports to detect numerous card purchases by one person or other suspicious activity". Metabank does not provide any reports with customer info, but only general sales information (which branch, CSR name, how many, $, etc.).

Return to Top
#1494627 - 01/13/11 04:55 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring BowlingQueen

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
What does your contract with MetaBank require? They usually have stated requirements for agents re suspicious activity and should provide needed reports to comply - if there are any expectations.

They also have limits on # of cards (usually) and amount that can be on cards.

They also have automated processes via third parties to monitor for suspicious activity.

I would start there with the contract.

Return to Top
#1494691 - 01/13/11 05:28 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring Kathleen O. Blanchard
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
- Read this Handbook and ensure that appropriate staff has read and has access to this Handbook.
- Maintain a management-approved AML Compliance Program, including designation of a BSA/AML Compliance Officer.
- Conduct BSA/AML training as part of new employee training, and annually thereafter, for each employee who sells prepaid cards. MPS recommends training every employee in the company, if feasible. Keep acknowledgement of this training on file.
- Conduct an annual independent review of your AML Program.
- Comply with the requirements of Section 326 of the USA PATRIOT Act, including your institution’s Customer Identification Program (CIP) and MPS’
CIP requirements for Reloadable, Travel, and Youth cards, as prompted by the Simplexus portal.
- Report any unusual or suspicious activity (related to the Simplexus products) to MPS through the AML hotline and a Suspicious Activity Investigation Report (IR).
- File Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) as necessary to meet your institution’s BSA requirements. You should not inform MPS that a SAR has been filed, but simply that you have discovered potentially suspicious activity.
- Provide MPS with a copy of any Currency Transaction Report (CTR) filed in relation to a Simplexus product (for aggregate transactions over $10,000 in cash), or submit a Currency Transaction Reporting form.
- Submit Record of Cash Sales form to MPS for any Simplexus Gift Card purchases made with $3,000 or more in cash.
- Fulfill recordkeeping requirements

As previously mentioned, we don't sell to non-customers or for cash. All sales must be made by a bank customer with an on-us check or withdrawal from a savings account.

Return to Top
#1494946 - 01/13/11 08:18 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring BowlingQueen
justfriendlyme Offline
wisconsin, USA
I guess my question would be how do you handle gift card sales that are made by customers materially done with cash. For example, a customer deposits cash for $1,000.00 to an existing account that has say $10.00 in it already and then the purchases a gift card for the $1,000.00 technically by your system it was not done as cash (presented an on us item or transfer done) but it was materially cash. That would be something to consider I think.

Return to Top
#1494958 - 01/13/11 08:34 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring BowlingQueen

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: BowlingQueen
- Read this Handbook and ensure that appropriate staff has read and has access to this Handbook.
- Maintain a management-approved AML Compliance Program, including designation of a BSA/AML Compliance Officer.
- Conduct BSA/AML training as part of new employee training, and annually thereafter, for each employee who sells prepaid cards. MPS recommends training every employee in the company, if feasible. Keep acknowledgement of this training on file.
- Conduct an annual independent review of your AML Program.
- Comply with the requirements of Section 326 of the USA PATRIOT Act, including your institution’s Customer Identification Program (CIP) and MPS’
CIP requirements for Reloadable, Travel, and Youth cards, as prompted by the Simplexus portal.
- Report any unusual or suspicious activity (related to the Simplexus products) to MPS through the AML hotline and a Suspicious Activity Investigation Report (IR).
- File Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) as necessary to meet your institution’s BSA requirements. You should not inform MPS that a SAR has been filed, but simply that you have discovered potentially suspicious activity.
- Provide MPS with a copy of any Currency Transaction Report (CTR) filed in relation to a Simplexus product (for aggregate transactions over $10,000 in cash), or submit a Currency Transaction Reporting form.
- Submit Record of Cash Sales form to MPS for any Simplexus Gift Card purchases made with $3,000 or more in cash.
- Fulfill recordkeeping requirements

As previously mentioned, we don't sell to non-customers or for cash. All sales must be made by a bank customer with an on-us check or withdrawal from a savings account.

It does appear that the bank has agreed to do some monitoring for suspicious activity.

You will not have CIP issues since you only sell to existing customers. You do not sell for cash (unless there are some cash-like purchases as mentioned via deposit to account).

What else could be suspicious that your bank employees might observe? # of cards requested at one time? Frequency of card purchases? You do not see card activity, do you?

Return to Top
#1494996 - 01/13/11 09:01 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring justfriendlyme
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: justfriendlyme
I guess my question would be how do you handle gift card sales that are made by customers materially done with cash. For example, a customer deposits cash for $1,000.00 to an existing account that has say $10.00 in it already and then the purchases a gift card for the $1,000.00 technically by your system it was not done as cash (presented an on us item or transfer done) but it was materially cash. That would be something to consider I think.

I see your point......same as could be done with the purchase of cashier's checks and money orders. If a customer presented cash for the purchase of MI's, we would make them deposit it and then w/d the funds for the purchase and document that as such on the MI log. However, we don't currently document that in our card logs and unless the cash in one day aggregates to $3,000 or more, it won't show up on our currency transaction report. Now, we could modify our card logs to include cash used to facilitate the purchase of a card, similar to the MI logs, but it would only be successful in detecting suspicious activity if we KNEW that they first deposited cash and then purchased the card. It's easy to detect the cash < $3,000 for MIs as the tellers process both sides of the transaction. However, cards are sold and processed by the CSRs, which is a completely separate department from the teller area. I see difficulty in us detecting if cash was deposited, unless you view the current business day activity to see if there was any cash deposited BEFORE processing the payment for the card.

Return to Top
#1495004 - 01/13/11 09:09 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring Kathleen O. Blanchard
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Kathleen B
It does appear that the bank has agreed to do some monitoring for suspicious activity.

You will not have CIP issues since you only sell to existing customers. You do not sell for cash (unless there are some cash-like purchases as mentioned via deposit to account).

What else could be suspicious that your bank employees might observe? # of cards requested at one time? Frequency of card purchases? You do not see card activity, do you?

With the exception of the holidays and graduation time, maybe, we don't sell a lot of cards. We could definitely advise the CSR staff to alert Compliance if an individual/business purchased a large # of cards without any reasonable explanation, especially if they're aware that the purchases were cash-based per se. But a large # or frequent purchases of cards to one person/business will be detected by MetaBank's BSA/AML monitoring per their policy.

No, we don't see card activity....again, that would be detected by Metabank.

I thank you for your help while I try to figure out what a reasonable course of action is here. smile
Last edited by BowlingQueen; 01/13/11 09:10 PM.

Return to Top
#1495235 - 01/14/11 02:13 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring BowlingQueen
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
We use Meta for our gift and travel cards as well. We do log, but we also only sell to customers and nothing for cash either. The only thing we did different, which I believe was a Meta requirement was to register under 314b in the event thy find something on their end and vice versa.

Return to Top
#1495347 - 01/14/11 03:15 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring J2C
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
We had already registered under 314b a couple of years ago, so that was covered.

I spoke with our auditor yesterday afternoon and she concurred that since Meta conducts suspicious activity monitoring, and we monitor large cash transactions that we have sufficient controls in place. We just have to amend our previous response and resubmit the final report and apprise the board of the amendment.

Thanks. smile

Return to Top
#1495361 - 01/14/11 03:23 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring BowlingQueen
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
We had already registered under 314b a couple of years ago, so that was covered.

And have annually updated the registration I assume smile

Return to Top
#1495395 - 01/14/11 03:40 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring rlcarey
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
Good point.....I'm operating on the assumption that the CO, who botched this up, took care of it. Guess, I should follow up on that. wink

Return to Top
#1496804 - 01/19/11 02:02 PM Re: Travel & gift card monitoring BowlingQueen
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
For those of you using Meta... they are under a C&D with the OTS for their payday lending program. Not that it has anything to do with their gift card program....but may be of interest.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z