Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#149461 - 01/15/04 08:40 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh yes, yes, yes! In my life as an auditor and compliance officer I have heard them all. My favorite one so far is one I heard recently from a newly appointed supervisor, "Well, we've always done it that way, therefore, it must be the right way to do it." This was even after I explained all reasons why the procedure was incorrect and mighty risky to the bank. Egos..?!?!?!? This is what makes my job fun, because it gives me soemthing else to put in my daily journal under "a funny thing happened on the way to......."

Return to Top
#149462 - 01/16/04 03:34 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Quote:

In my life as an auditor and compliance officer I have heard them all. . . This is what makes my job fun

I agree - after flowcharting a credit card department, the Director wanted to copy all the charts to use as departmental documentation. He decided against it when we pointed out to him that the clerk in the back office literally had more authority than he did because of lack of controls.

Return to Top
#149463 - 01/16/04 07:44 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
Quote:

The fact that we didn't get caught being stupid doesn’t justify continuing to be stupid

(My response last time I heard the examiner line!)

I am going to use this one... for sure!

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
#149464 - 01/16/04 07:46 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
I have been dealing with a Manager just this week over an audit recommendation, and what is really agrevating is that out of all of the findings, this is the one that was the easiest, least expensive fix! And they want to argue!!!

How about this response: "Getting customers to sign contracts now, when we have never had them before, creates more risk than not having them at all. ( ....come again??) Both of these companies have been customers for many years and we have not had any problems. ( Thank Goodness! Since you never thought to get a contract signed..... ) Furthermore, they are good customers and I trust them."

So I just had to ask...."I see you just made a loan to this one...And you had them sign all of these documents because...?"

Actually I said...Here's my report...provide your response in writing, then when Sr. Mgmt and Audit Committee approve "or not"....it's done! See ya next time around!

Return to Top
#149465 - 01/16/04 08:13 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

How about this response: "Getting customers to sign contracts now, when we have never had them before, creates more risk than not having them at all. ( ....come again??) Both of these companies have been customers for many years and we have not had any problems. ( Thank Goodness! Since you never thought to get a contract signed..... ) Furthermore, they are good customers and I trust them."

Yeah, the customer won't mind not signing the contract, especially when the bank collector comes calling, threatening to forclose or repossess.

Return to Top
#149466 - 02/08/04 04:21 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:

My favorite is "show me where it says I can't..."

My all time personal favorite as well. However, have you also noticed that when you tell someone they "can," they never ask you where that is written? They are willing to assume they are right, but need proof they are wrong. Hmmm.

Return to Top
#149467 - 02/11/04 01:50 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
I just found this topic and I just need to chime in. We have a guy here who is an "ex-examiner". He quit that about 15 years ago and he was an examiner for about 5 years. His personality is one of "stand in my way and I'll run over you". If he wants something,regardless of what it is, if you don't step aside, he will run right through you until he gets it....whether you are the Headteller or the bank President. (He has connections with the board). He throws "ex-examiner" around any chance he gets. (Being in compliance it is usually around me.) He also uses the statement that at so and so bank, "which I helped to sell" the compliance officer was a real stickler, and "he never made us do that". I have not been able to come up with a response for those statements, but one day....................

Return to Top
#149468 - 02/11/04 02:36 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
"one day..." just tie him to a railroad track... that ought to work!

Return to Top
#149469 - 02/11/04 03:06 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I would guess that the regulations have changed quite a bit since he left, which you are obviously aware of. It doesn't seem as though he is. Don't let him get to you. One day it will all work out.

Return to Top
#149470 - 02/11/04 04:06 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
You can try something like "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts", or you can hang this picture on his office door.
KIA

Return to Top
#149471 - 02/11/04 04:14 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
starfish Offline
Gold Star
starfish
Seattle
I had a similar situation at my last job. Just because they were an examiner does not mean that they know the rules! He kept finding himself in the doghouse because he insisted he was right, and he was called on it during examinations. Hopefully, your situation will work itself out- good luck!

Return to Top
#149472 - 02/12/04 05:11 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
In my opinion, you should stay out of old "ex-examiner's" way whenever possible. Sooner or later, he's going to step in it big time, and then you won't have to worry about him anymore.

Return to Top
#149473 - 02/12/04 05:38 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
All of your suggestions are great........Remove the glasses and he sort of looks like that guy..I wonder what he'd look like after he "stepped in it" and was tied to the rail road track would look like

Return to Top
#149474 - 02/12/04 05:40 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Quote:

My favorite is "show me where it says I can't" for instance, whiting out terms on a note

You could say:"Show me where it says you can".

Return to Top
#149475 - 02/12/04 06:01 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

All of your suggestions are great........Remove the glasses and he sort of looks like that guy..I wonder what he'd look like after he "stepped in it" and was tied to the rail road track would look like

Keep us posted on how he looks after the train hits, OK?

Return to Top
#149476 - 02/12/04 08:39 PM Re: Rant-"that's the way we always did it..."
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Quote:

Keep us posted on how he looks after the train hits, OK?

Will do!!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett