Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1491 - 04/30/01 06:31 PM Another privacy question
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
So you are assigning an appraiser to appraise a commercial property. From what I have been told, the lender often share the customer's personal tax returns with the appraiser. Since we are appraising the property at the customer's request, I would imagine this would be a covered exception. BUT, would you suggest having an agreement with the appraiser not to share any information further as a matter of course? Thanks for your help.

Sue

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1492 - 04/30/01 06:40 PM Re: Another privacy question
Mary Beth Guard Offline
Platinum Poster
Mary Beth Guard
Oklahoma City, OK
Why would the lender possibly want to share the prospective borrower's tax returns with the appraiser? The appraiser is asked to perform a very specific function -- the valuation of a parcel of property. That valuation should be based on the condition of the property, recent sales prices for comparable properties, etc. I think it's a violation of the applicant's privacy to share personal financial information -- such as from tax returns -- because there is simply no justification for the appraiser having that information.

Return to Top
#1493 - 04/30/01 07:06 PM Re: Another privacy question
Michele Petry Offline
New Poster
Not only that, but couldn't it be argued that the appraiser was using that information to arrive at a pre-determined value conclusion? It seems to border on a violation of USPAP.

Return to Top
#1494 - 04/30/01 08:01 PM Re: Another privacy question
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
More information: this is what my commercial lender says:

The entire personal income tax return would not be shared, but in some cases we may share Schedule C or Schedule E. Schedule C would show business income for use in valuing the business enterprise; Schedule E would show income and expenses associated with rental real estate which the appraiser would use for detemining valuation via the income approach.

Corporate/Partnership Returns would be shared for the same purposes

Is this a privacy issue??

Return to Top
#1495 - 04/30/01 11:12 PM Re: Another privacy question
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
If you are looking at the strict interpretation of GLB, then only CONSUMER information is covered. And CONSUMER information is that information obtained by a Bank in response to a request for a financial product for personal, family, or household purposes.

So it would appear that a transaction for a COMMERCIAL office building would not fall under the Privacy Regs even if it meant sharing information about an individual.

ONE CAVEAT - heaven forbid you would be using a commercial building as collateral for a consumer loan. Don't laugh - I've seen it - A loan secured by an office building to pay for cost overruns in the construction of the building owner's PERSONAL residence. Imagine the shock on the Loan Officer's face when I told him that Reg Z disclosures were needed!

The other part of the GLB states that information can be shared when necessary to complete a transaction initiated by the consumer. If sharing certain tax return information is necessary in order to prepare an appraisal, it seems that would fit under the allowable exception.

Return to Top