Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1495378 - 01/14/11 03:34 PM Remote Deposit Capture
AFaquir Offline
Platinum Poster
AFaquir
Top of the world... and never ...
I have seen various policies where banks are instituting transaction limits for RDC for their customers.

The FFIEC guidance makes no mention of this as a requirement nor does it suggest this should be considered...

So I am wondering why banks are doing it? Is there something in my risk assessment I am missing?

MBA Fin/MBS HR

My views only!

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1495716 - 01/14/11 07:03 PM Re: Remote Deposit Capture AFaquir
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Try this document:

http://www.ffiec.gov/pdf/pr011409_rdc_guidance.pdf

Also the FFIEC IT Examination Manual.

Return to Top
#1496331 - 01/18/11 04:32 PM Re: Remote Deposit Capture rlcarey
AFaquir Offline
Platinum Poster
AFaquir
I've read and now re-read the document... one small mention of "transaction Thresholds" No real explanation as to why other than in the reporting and further mitigation section.

Still don't quite understand the importance of "limiting" a customers ability to make deposits, when you wouldn't do the same in person... but I don't write the rules, I just follow them.

MBA Fin/MBS HR

My views only!

Return to Top
#1496356 - 01/18/11 05:03 PM Re: Remote Deposit Capture AFaquir
isaidno Offline
100 Club
My bank has a default limit set at $200,000. Deposits are subject to ordinary Reg. CC rules so we have some ability to protect ourselves and our technology is able to detect invalid R/T numbers. The limit really hasn't been an issue for our clients.

Return to Top
#1496369 - 01/18/11 05:20 PM Re: Remote Deposit Capture isaidno
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you don't have thresholds, monitoring and other internal controls, what would prevent a customer from running several million dollars of fake or duplicate items into their account in one or two days and then disappear? You can't tell me that a $1 million deposit at the teller window goes unnoticed. It is just plain old sound risk management controls.

Return to Top
#1496494 - 01/18/11 07:01 PM Re: Remote Deposit Capture rlcarey
AFaquir Offline
Platinum Poster
AFaquir
RL, of course a million dollar deposit at the teller window gets noticed, we're a small group, we'd probably all probably pose for pictures with a check that large. However, I'll bet at most banks a $10K one goes through no questions asked in person from most business customers, regardless of transaction history.

I think on RDC a transaction limit is a false sense of security and relatively inconvenient for customers... when "evil-doers" could just as easily submit deposits up to that limit without exceeding and go unnoticed... Bank's should be monitoring actively anyways... but now I will be putting in a limit per the guidance and "supposedly" best practices of the industry.

ISAIDNO: I think I could set a $200,000 annual limit for customers and be just fine... is that your daily limit?

MBA Fin/MBS HR

My views only!

Return to Top
#1496527 - 01/18/11 07:39 PM Re: Remote Deposit Capture AFaquir
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It is just one of the many controls for RDC and does not represent a panacea of safety.

Return to Top
#1496587 - 01/18/11 08:23 PM Re: Remote Deposit Capture rlcarey
AFaquir Offline
Platinum Poster
AFaquir
RL: Agreed... and that's sound risk management!

MBA Fin/MBS HR

My views only!

Return to Top
#1496741 - 01/18/11 11:19 PM Re: Remote Deposit Capture AFaquir
isaidno Offline
100 Club
It is a daily limit set based on the risk the bank is willing to take. Of course, we will lower the limit if the individual credit risk assessment of the client warrants it. Each RDC client has a Commercial Loan Officer who has a relationship with the client and is involved in the determination.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z