Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1448700 - 09/27/10 05:30 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Janick
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Originally Posted By: Janick
There is some information missing that can change the situation. If the employee isn't considered a floater, why is he being expected to go to a different location as often as this sounds like he is? I know I would be very inconvenienced if I was expected to start working at a location other than the one I was hired at.

This was exactly my point. Except I wrote a whole book about it. Your response is much more concise. grin

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1448717 - 09/27/10 05:59 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Janick
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
I had a boss years ago that was great - except for child care/illness issues. He did not have children at the time and couldn't relate. Once his son was born he was then the perfect boss smile

Return to Top
#1448731 - 09/27/10 06:19 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Janick
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I would think the line in the job description "any other duties as required" would cover his "i don't have to work there"...

Return to Top
#1449031 - 09/28/10 01:07 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location grows
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
Originally Posted By: grows
It seems as though many people here are heartless and feel that work should be the first priority. Whatever happened to "work / life balance?" Don't you have families? Each of my employers (past and present) have understood the requirements of personal life and allowed me to work around them (kids, school, Dr. appointments, emergencies, etc.). As a manager I try to give my employees the flexibility to accommodate personal and business needs. Sometimes that means I help out too. This dilemma sounds petty.

I don't agree that people here are heartless and don't care about family. I just feel that it's important to keep your homelife and work seperate. It's great when your boss can accommodate your personal needs. Morale goes up. Productivity goes up. Everyone is happy. But sometimes people's personal needs as far as arrival and departure times cannot be accommodated and I don't think that makes a boss an orge. Our employers pay us to perform a function and sometimes that means we have to be in a certain place during certain hours. I think it's unprofessional to complain about my childcare situation/costs to my employer.

This does seem to be a petty issue with long legs.

Return to Top
#1449126 - 09/28/10 03:00 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Janick
Midwest Banker Offline
Gold Star
Cheeseland
I ran into this many years ago, with employees refusing to help at a location just minutes/miles down the road. They forgot they were hired to work at the bank, not a specific location. We made accomodations as needed however made sure it was in writing that hirees understood this and it was expected to adequately staff a location. Problem solved (after a few people left)

Return to Top
#1449127 - 09/28/10 03:05 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Midwest Banker
MD Banker Offline
New Poster
The affected employees can/should be compensated for the difference in mileage. It is a fine line between where their original location was and where the employer wants to move them, but if there is not a mutual agreement, then both lose.

Return to Top
#1457421 - 10/20/10 05:45 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Janick
First Banker Offline
Gold Star
First Banker
Florida
I worked 8 to 5 plus overtime in a bank operations department while raising 2 kids alone. I started when they were ages 3 and 6 years old, and with no other family members in the state. I learned quickly that any adjustments had to be made at home and not at work. It was not fair to my peers that were either young with no kids, or older and whose kids were already raised to have to help with my work. Work that I was getting paid to do, not them. It was my responsibility to have a backup plan. I try to be flexable with the parents working for me, but not if it becomes unfair to the other staff members.

Return to Top
#1494499 - 01/13/11 03:39 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location cbrown0929
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
This is one reason why I make it clear to all new employees that they are hired to work for the bank and not a specific branch. I would try to work with the employee's request, if it were possible, but if not, tough cookies. I would be careful giving special treatment in this case because you might find more people expecting the same kind of treament.

Return to Top
#1494757 - 01/13/11 06:11 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location CULady
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
and there will always be people that abuse it and the chronic complainers that see injustice (to them) in everything! You see the same thing when the weather turns bad. some people will not make it in no matter what (we actually had an employee miss work because she was snowed in. she lived in a ground floor apartment and the snow blew up against her front door so she couldn't open it. Myself - I would have climbed out the window and shoveled the snow away from the door. she also didn't shovel because she felt it was the landlord's responsibility. Of the people that did make it in, a lot of them complained that they should be given something extra for making it in. After a while I got tired of hearing it and told a few of them that (1) they were paid to work and (2) if they did anything for us that would be nice, but I wasn't expecting anything.
Last edited by madukes; 01/13/11 06:14 PM.
Return to Top
#1495899 - 01/14/11 08:58 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location madukes
fun grandma Offline
fun grandma
midwest
I love the snowstorm issue. I do not live in the same town I work in, so if I do not make it to work because of snow I either take without pay or use PTO. I agree I hate using my PTO for snow days, but not employers fault I live out of town either. Also, upper management leaves it up to my discretion on when I leave or come in late due to weather.

Return to Top
#1495921 - 01/14/11 09:19 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location fun grandma
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
i live 60 miles from my office...i've made it in hurricanes, floods, snow, heat, etc. i figure if i can make it, no one has an excuse for not coming in...

people who live 3 miles from here called in when we had 8 inches of snow...boy, did i give them grief

Return to Top
#1496005 - 01/14/11 10:57 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location HappyGilmore
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
But do those people live up on a high ridge with an ice-covered 5% grade downhill road with no direct access to a main road while you live on a salted flat road with direct access to a main road?

Just playing devil's advocate.....everyone has different circumstances. I know how to drive on snow and on ice, but I live on a ridge with a very steep road that did not get salted for 3 days after we had 7-8 inches of snow. First day we were closed, second day I was not risking my life to review cash reports and loan documents, the third day I hiked down the ridge and had someone pick me up.

Point is, everyone has to make a decision to stay home or go to work. The bank should have a policy and employees should make those decisions based on that policy and their tolerance for using PTO or going withou pay. It really irks me when people make comments about how they got to work but I didn't when they don't an understanding of the circumstances I was in.

Return to Top
#1496008 - 01/14/11 11:00 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Dani York, CRCM
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I agree, Dani!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1496511 - 01/18/11 07:25 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Dani York, CRCM
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Dani York
But do those people live up on a high ridge with an ice-covered 5% grade downhill road with no direct access to a main road while you live on a salted flat road with direct access to a main road?

Just playing devil's advocate.....everyone has different circumstances. I know how to drive on snow and on ice, but I live on a ridge with a very steep road that did not get salted for 3 days after we had 7-8 inches of snow. First day we were closed, second day I was not risking my life to review cash reports and loan documents, the third day I hiked down the ridge and had someone pick me up.

Point is, everyone has to make a decision to stay home or go to work. The bank should have a policy and employees should make those decisions based on that policy and their tolerance for using PTO or going withou pay. It really irks me when people make comments about how they got to work but I didn't when they don't an understanding of the circumstances I was in.

umm, we live in Louisiana...there is no such thing as a mountain here...or even a ridge...

it irks me that people choose to live in a area that possibly floods, or where they have to cross rivers that flood, then complain they can't make it to work because of high water...hey, you chose to live there and you said you'd be at work...don't complain about it. plan ahead and be on the work side of it, and we won't have these issues. same for people that choose to live on mountaintops where it snows...

Return to Top
#1496686 - 01/18/11 09:42 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location HappyGilmore
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Happy, I wasn't trying to be ugly. My point is that I made a choice to stay home when it snowed...and I had to use PTO because that's our policy. I didn't complain about it at all. I made an educated decision based on my tolerance of using PTO or not getting paid.

My comment about being irked was in the context of someone judging my motives and my loyalty to my employer because I chose to saty home when it snowed and iced. Honestly I think my employer would find me more valuable to be alive and able to come back in the following day when conditions were better.

People choose to live where they do for different reasons and sometimes they lived there prior to working for a certain employer. Luckily my employer cares about my safety and told me not to risk it if I didn't feel safe getting to work in adverse conditions.

I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience with people making those types of decisions.

Return to Top
#1496786 - 01/19/11 01:43 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Dani York, CRCM
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
i just find it ironic, that's all...

Return to Top
#1500112 - 01/25/11 09:18 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location cbrown0929
Gayla Sherry Offline

100 Club
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Refusing to work at another location, which is a reasonable distance, is not acceptable. You can pay him the difference in mileage between his regular commute and the assigned location, but that's it. I think he would be hard pressed to show how driving a distance of 10 miles is a hardship...
HR Consulting and Compliance; Training, Conflict Resolution, Internal Investigations, Expert Witness

Return to Top
#1500509 - 01/26/11 05:12 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location cbrown0929
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
You should make any accomodation for this employee that you would be willing to have fed back to you when another employee wants an accomodation...

These things feed on themselves.

Return to Top
#1500756 - 01/26/11 08:35 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Elwood P. Dowd
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Those of us in NY at the moment are going through a horrible blizzard. Unlike upstate NY, the Long Island/NYC area is not capable of handling it properly. Those of you who are climbing out of windows, curing cancer and killing dragons all while getting to work on time are super employees. I personally give you a long round of golf clapping.

That said I'm with Dani and not killing myself in an attempt to get to work when my reports and investigations can be delayed a day or two. I've explained this to my employer and after some heated discussions, they have accepted it.

Return to Top
#1500927 - 01/26/11 10:38 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location ACBbank
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
My apologies. This wasn't the proper venue for my comments.
Last edited by Mulberry; 01/26/11 11:20 PM.

Return to Top
#1500932 - 01/26/11 10:42 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location BurntSienna

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
That is incredibly rude.

Return to Top
#1500946 - 01/26/11 11:06 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Kathleen O. Blanchard
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Last edited by ACBbank; 01/27/11 12:03 AM. Reason: To avoid any needless drama

Return to Top
#1500949 - 01/26/11 11:09 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location ACBbank
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I suggest taking any futher discussion of the last couple of posts to the cooler.

Thanks......

Return to Top
#1500954 - 01/26/11 11:15 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location rlcarey

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Yes, I made my comment because this was NOT the cooler, a place I do not go and actually don't see when I click on BOL!

Return to Top
#1500956 - 01/26/11 11:21 PM Re: Employee refuses to work at other location Kathleen O. Blanchard
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
My apologies. Occasionally my fingers engage before my brain. I have edited out my commments above.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry