Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#149695 - 01/14/04 02:34 PM Obtaining a credit report for a customer FCRA
Anonymous
Unregistered

A bank made a mistake and reported wrong information to the credit bureau. The customer discovered it and notified the bank. The bank corrected the information. The customer wants the bank to pull a credit report to confirm the correction was made and to give the credit report to them (customer). The department of the bank that would do this does not think the FCRA allows this (not a permissable purpose)...to obtain a credit report for this purpose. Question: Would this be a permissable purpose under FCRA to obtain a copy of the customer's credit report and give it to the customer? Thanks.

Return to Top
#149696 - 01/14/04 02:38 PM Re: Obtaining a credit report for a customer FCRA
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
Re: Would this be a permissable purpose under FCRA?

I don't think so.

Return to Top
#149697 - 01/14/04 03:35 PM Re: Obtaining a credit report for a customer FCRA
Anonymous
Unregistered

If written instructions were obtained from the consumer, why wouldn't this be permissible under 604(a)(2): "in accordance with the written instructions of the consumer to whom it relates"?

Return to Top
#149698 - 01/14/04 03:46 PM Re: Obtaining a credit report for a customer FCRA
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It would the customer's responsibility to contact the credit bureau and get a new report for their review. Keep the bank out of it.

Return to Top
#149699 - 01/14/04 04:10 PM Re: Obtaining a credit report for a customer FCRA
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Without researching all the allowable reasons, even if it is allowable, does the bank know the changes have been uploaded yet and if they are not, now the bank is in the position of working with the credit bureau to get them done. Instead I would want to provide evidence that the bank has done its part and let the consumer follow up with the bureau. If there is work to be done, let it be properly identified. The bank may opt to pay any fee the consumer would have if the bureau doesn't provide it at no cost.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#149700 - 01/14/04 04:39 PM Re: Obtaining a credit report for a customer FCRA
RJM Offline
RJM
New York, NY USA
I would not suggest doing it. I don't believe it is a permissible purpose.

This is my opinion, and not the opinion of my employer.

Return to Top
#149701 - 01/14/04 04:45 PM Re: Obtaining a credit report for a customer FCRA
hobot Offline
Gold Star
hobot
An option might be for the consumer to pull his/her own report and the bank reimburse the customer for the cost. (I suspect that the customer wants the bank to pull it b/c the customer believes the bank is responsible for the error in the first place).

Return to Top