Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1491091 - 01/06/11 09:29 PM Loan is closed - send out omitted disclosures?
COMPLIcated Offline
Diamond Poster
OK
If a loan has already been closed but the lender did not give a required disclosure, should they still go ahead and mail it to the customer so they will have that information? Compliance has already noted it as an exception that it wasn't given at the correct time but isn't it best to go ahead and mail that to the customer?

Return to Top
Audit
#1491181 - 01/07/11 12:37 AM Re: Loan is closed - send out omitted disclosures? COMPLIcated
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Which disclosure. Usually, once the timing window has passed a late delivery does nothing to correct the compliance violation.

Return to Top
#1491307 - 01/07/11 02:44 PM Re: Loan is closed - send out omitted disclosures? rlcarey
COMPLIcated Offline
Diamond Poster
OK
Not to correct the violation but just that the bank has ensured the customer has the information on their loan or bank. I'm referring to disclosures such as a privacy notice, title protection, mortgage servicing, GFE, NHLA, Right to receive copy of appraisal. IMO, most of these provide information that, if read by the customer, would be useful to know even after closing.

Return to Top
#1491359 - 01/07/11 03:39 PM Re: Loan is closed - send out omitted disclosures? COMPLIcated
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You can send them, but there is no regulatory cure in these cases, so it will not cure the regulatory violation.

Return to Top
#1491364 - 01/07/11 03:42 PM Re: Loan is closed - send out omitted disclosures? rlcarey
COMPLIcated Offline
Diamond Poster
OK
Okay, I was just kind of curious what most banks do.

Return to Top
#1492156 - 01/08/11 12:44 AM Re: Loan is closed - send out omitted disclosures? COMPLIcated
Jewels1972 Offline
100 Club
Indiana
I think it might raise questions from the customer that you possibly don't want to answer. In reality, how many customers really read those documents... Not many that I've worked with over the last 18 years.

This is just my opinion... but Banks are talked about as being so awful in the media anymore, that sending info after the fact that should've been given upfront may spark unneccesary concern.

Now, on the other hand... it was found in an examination that one of our departments neglected to give the NHLA and we were required to send that out... AND go back to the last exam and confirm we had no other borrowers who were not provided this document... Just a heads up on that one... We created a cover letter and sent them out...

Guess I really wasn't any help... But atleast you have another perspective.

Return to Top
#1493047 - 01/11/11 03:59 PM Re: Loan is closed - send out omitted disclosures? Jewels1972
COMPLIcated Offline
Diamond Poster
OK
Was that the FDIC that you went through that with?

Return to Top
#1496749 - 01/18/11 11:43 PM Re: Loan is closed - send out omitted disclosures? COMPLIcated
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Just to complicate things a bit - the bank can be made to refund to the customer fees on the GFE.

I understand that the fees on the GFE that are matched against the HUD-1 are for GFE's issued within the 3 day timeframe. If the GFE was issued outside of the timeframe, the "amount on the GFE issued timely" would be $0.00, and fees and services in excess of tolerance would need to be refunded.

Return to Top
#1496756 - 01/19/11 12:16 AM Re: Loan is closed - send out omitted disclosures? Rocky P
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By: Southern Banker
Just to complicate things a bit - the bank can be made to refund to the customer fees on the GFE.

I understand that the fees on the GFE that are matched against the HUD-1 are for GFE's issued within the 3 day timeframe. If the GFE was issued outside of the timeframe, the "amount on the GFE issued timely" would be $0.00, and fees and services in excess of tolerance would need to be refunded.

So say some, but not all............ The jury is still out on this one.

Return to Top
#1497250 - 01/19/11 09:02 PM Re: Loan is closed - send out omitted disclosures? rlcarey
cbailey Offline
Where would one look to find the answer in this case? Would the closing costs be expected to be refunded by the regulators in this instance?

Return to Top
#1497256 - 01/19/11 09:07 PM Re: Loan is closed - send out omitted disclosures? cbailey
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The discussion regarding this is at the end of this thread in the RESPA Forum:

http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1480988#Post1480988

Return to Top
#1497315 - 01/19/11 10:05 PM Re: Loan is closed - send out omitted disclosures? rlcarey
cbailey Offline
It still sounds conflicting. The best avenue would be do a free loan?

Return to Top
#1497320 - 01/19/11 10:11 PM Re: Loan is closed - send out omitted disclosures? cbailey
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Best avenue for whom? You might want to ask your board and shareholders that question first.....

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z