Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#149774 - 01/14/04 03:59 PM Bothered by co-employee
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a co-employee who at the slightest hint of a personal conversation, has a seat and makes himself comfortable. He sits there like he is sitting in my living room having a casual conversation. He's difficult to get rid of. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, its just that the middle of the workday is not the best time for me to have a casual chat. I am busy and my bosses want me to continue that way. The big bosses offices are not thta far from mine and their doors are always open. It did not bother me so much at first because it seemed like it was just the new guy getting to know me, but now, he has been here a couple of months and will still come in for these 15 to 20 minute conversations.

I guess I could do my part by not asking questions like "Well, how are your boys doing?" I asked that today and instead of a short answer, he made himself comfortable with his coffee and told me exactly how they were doing.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#149775 - 01/14/04 05:06 PM Re: Bothered by co-employee
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
One way would be to "find" something to do that requires a bit of privacy or that you be in another area of the building. Maybe chat for one or two sentences then say you need to check the fax, see if so-and-so is around, make a phone call, or anything else that is work related. Worst case - "If you'll excuse me." and go to the restroom.

Good luck.

Return to Top
#149776 - 01/14/04 05:07 PM Re: Bothered by co-employee
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a co-worker here that does that. I discussed it with the people who sit near me and now when we see it happening to each other, we call each other on an outside line so they have a chance to escape. She is a very nice person, but we just don't have time to chat.

Return to Top
#149777 - 01/14/04 05:21 PM Re: Bothered by co-employee
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
At the expense of sounding brash, I think you should tell him how you feel. Give it to him straight up, it may save him from bigger problems later on.

Return to Top
#149778 - 01/14/04 10:08 PM Re: Bothered by co-employee
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
And/or tell him that you enjoy the opportunity to chat but may you could do it earlier, before it gets so hectic, or later, after all the rush has died down.

Return to Top