Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1498431 - 01/21/11 04:12 PM Do I go by the Card or Experian?
jross Offline
100 Club
TX
We have a new account where the customer presented us with a Resident Alien Card and a social security card. The items looked legitimate. When we ran the identification numbers through an external database no history of the customer was found. We then ran a social search and the number reported a different name. We satisfied the CIP requirements when we got the physical items but now that we know the social does not match what should we do? We already opened the account.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1498434 - 01/21/11 04:15 PM Re: Do I go by the Card or Experian? jross
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Your "social search..." That was through IRS E-Services or another commercial vendor?

Return to Top
#1498436 - 01/21/11 04:16 PM Re: Do I go by the Card or Experian? Elwood P. Dowd
jross Offline
100 Club
TX
Experian

Return to Top
#1498438 - 01/21/11 04:17 PM Re: Do I go by the Card or Experian? jross
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Call the customer and inform them about this situation and try to get clarification. What type of social security number search did you run. Maybe someone else is using their number???

Return to Top
#1498453 - 01/21/11 04:26 PM Re: Do I go by the Card or Experian? rlcarey
jross Offline
100 Club
TX
I am worried that our new customer presented us with a fake SSC. There is information on the social search that goes back 10+ years farther than the date that our customers Resident Alien ID card was issued.

Return to Top
#1498456 - 01/21/11 04:28 PM Re: Do I go by the Card or Experian? jross
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
So - maybe someone ten years ago made up a number that may have not been issued yet. There is no reason to panic without additional information. Gather that info and then decide the course of action. Don't jump to conclusions without facts.

Return to Top
#1507561 - 02/09/11 07:27 PM Re: Do I go by the Card or Experian? rlcarey
jross Offline
100 Club
TX
Ok we contacted the customer and he has no other proof that this is a valid SSN. He stated that he applied for a passport and they could not verify his identity so they would not issue him a passport. He then volunteered to close the account. I see this as a red flag.

Is this SAR reportable if his total transactions were less than $5,000?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z