Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1500186 - 01/25/11 11:19 PM User Access for employees
Kermit_13 Offline
New Poster
Kermit_13
Montana
Management at my bank would like to cross train a teller to be a back-up loan processor. Loan Processor's at our bank book loans onto the system with the appropriate info and write tickets to disburse the loan proceeds. Does anybody see any control issues with this or improper segregation of duties? My worry is one employee will be granted to much user access. However, I don't see how a fraud can be successfully achieved by somebody who has both teller and loan processor capabilities within the system.

Return to Top
Audit
#1500274 - 01/26/11 02:05 PM Re: User Access for employees Kermit_13
kendrar Offline
Gold Star
I am not sure how the entire process works at your bank - but would a teller that had this level of authority possibly be able to book advances on the system without anyone else being involved? Or would they be able to possibly book loans which were fictitious? Since it is a teller then there would be more options available to misappropriate the proceeds of the loan due to them having a cash drawer available, however, this does not mean that it cannot be done.

If there are steps in your processes that would mitigate any risk of misappropriation of assets then there very well may not be any problems here. In my bank we have a number of tellers who also book notes on the system. In fact, we have a number of loan operations employees who are also tellers. It all depends on what other checks and reviews you have within your system.

Return to Top
#1500446 - 01/26/11 04:20 PM Re: User Access for employees kendrar
Kermit_13 Offline
New Poster
Kermit_13
Montana
Thank you kendrar. I feel we have sufficient checks and balances in place. Just wondering if combining those two job functions created more risk than was necessary.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z