Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1500767 - 01/26/11 08:44 PM GFE late delivery
tclowes Offline
100 Club
What if you have an instance in which the GFE did not get delivered within the 3 business days. Is there a cure for this error?

Return to Top
RESPA
#1500781 - 01/26/11 08:52 PM Re: GFE late delivery tclowes
Sheldon Hendrix Offline
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
No, there is no cure. And the new word is that HUD is considering a late GFE to mean a free loan as far as settlement costs in their respective tolerance categories.

Return to Top
#1500790 - 01/26/11 08:58 PM Re: GFE late delivery Sheldon Hendrix
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Compliance Rules
No, there is no cure. And the new word is that HUD is considering a late GFE to mean a free loan as far as settlement costs in their respective tolerance categories.

I know that this has ben talked and talked and talked about. But is there a directive from HUD regarding this?
Is it going in a Q & A?

Is it in writing from HUD or an examiner, is the question I keep hearing.

Return to Top
#1500792 - 01/26/11 08:58 PM Re: GFE late delivery Sheldon Hendrix
tclowes Offline
100 Club
Sounds like that would be a good thing to mention in training to the lenders to keep this from happening!!!!

Thanks for the info!!!!

Return to Top
#1500809 - 01/26/11 09:07 PM Re: GFE late delivery tclowes
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:
Is it in writing from HUD or an examiner, is the question I keep hearing.

You won't get anything in writing from an examiner on a rule under HUD authority.

They only thing we have so far is written documentation from Andrew Fay who, I believe, helped author the new RESPA rules.

I do know that I was sent a reply from HUD saying otherwise, and he immediately retracted and sent a correction to me by the next morning...I, for one, will be adhereing to the late = "free".

when I say "free", I'm referring to the origination sections and no more than 10% on other tolerance items.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1500837 - 01/26/11 09:24 PM Re: GFE late delivery RR Joker
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
As much as I fear the devil I don't know, I am hopeful about the transfer of regulatory authority for RESPA to the CFPB. I don't see any legal authority for "late=free."
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1500839 - 01/26/11 09:25 PM Re: GFE late delivery QCL
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Here's the response from Andrew Fay that joker got, QCL.

It's in writing.
It's from HUD.
I've got a copy in my binder so I can say this is the guideline I used.
My examiners know all about BOL and I'm thinking since I'm FRB, there's not going to be much interpreting done on something from HUD.

Return to Top
#1500876 - 01/26/11 09:48 PM Re: GFE late delivery Truffle Royale
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I'm with John and again, as I have from the beginning of this long discussion, will reiterate: "I don't see any legal authority for "late=free."

Return to Top
#1500881 - 01/26/11 09:51 PM Re: GFE late delivery rlcarey
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
We need one of those big banks with lots of lawyers to challenge this. This is when those guys come in handy.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1500909 - 01/26/11 10:14 PM Re: GFE late delivery Kathleen O. Blanchard
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I'll be listening to the FDIC Kansas City Region Regulatory Teleconference Compliance Update at which Andrew Fay is a speaker.....guess I'll see if there is any new news....or if he stutters when he utters it again.

Return to Top
#1500985 - 01/27/11 01:21 AM Re: GFE late delivery swiggles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
And I will reiterate that while there may be no legal authority, this is one time I actually think it makes sense. Why impose a time limit if there isn't a hammer? Not a slap on the wrist violation a year later IF an examiner finds it. That doesn't benefit the borrower. Not being able to charge fees benefits the borrower. And RESPA is all about benefiting the borrower.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Return to Top
#1500992 - 01/27/11 01:45 AM Re: GFE late delivery Truffle Royale
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Of course you are entitled to your opinion - but as long as the consumer is provided the GFE - the loan does not proceed until an "intent to proceed" is received after reviewing what charges will be imposed on transaction. It would be like saying if the early TIL is not delivered on time, the APR should revert to the interest rate or that they are allowed to rescind the transaction. The law or regulation does not support Andrew's position and I doubt the courts will either. I would not subject my bank to such an arcane process without offical written guidance or regulation outside of one man's opinion in what would be considered an e-mail.

Return to Top
#1501356 - 01/27/11 07:49 PM Re: GFE late delivery rlcarey
Sheldon Hendrix Offline
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
You know I don't think it's too unlikely that examiners could "hear" about this and begin enforcing it even if there is no legal authority. Didn't the FDIC once have their own interpretation of disclosing RE taxes on the GFE/HUD for home equity loans that they enforced?

Return to Top

Moderator:  QCL