Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1500938 - 01/26/11 10:53 PM Blizzards and CTR's
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Individual cashes a check (payable to "cash") in excess of $10M against the account of Business X who is a customer of the bank. The check was issued from Business Y who isn't a customer at the bank. CTR is completed as: Section A lists Business X and Section B lists the individual who conducted the transaction. Yes?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1500943 - 01/26/11 11:03 PM Re: Blizzards and CTR's ACBbank
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
How can you cash a check against X when the check was from Y and made payable to cash? A check made payable to cash is a bearer instrument. IMHO - The individual goes into A & B.

Return to Top
#1500947 - 01/26/11 11:07 PM Re: Blizzards and CTR's rlcarey
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Off topic, but I would point out that if Business Y's check bounces, you do not have recourse against Business X to recover the funds because a business cannot cash a check. You would have to pursue the individual.

Return to Top
#1500948 - 01/26/11 11:08 PM Re: Blizzards and CTR's rlcarey
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
The individual didn't have an account with the bank Randy. Both business entities have common ownership and for some reason the branch cashed the item against that particular account.

Return to Top
#1500951 - 01/26/11 11:11 PM Re: Blizzards and CTR's ACBbank
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
See crowman3's comment. Regardless of what the branch did, it is not correct.

Return to Top
#1500952 - 01/26/11 11:14 PM Re: Blizzards and CTR's rlcarey
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I hear you about the potential loss crowman. Management signed off on that one. So conducted on own behalf then.

Return to Top
#1500997 - 01/27/11 02:01 AM Re: Blizzards and CTR's ACBbank
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The check was payable to "Cash" and drawn on an account at another bank in the name of business Y? As noted, any connection to X's account is pure fantasy; it did not benefit.

Section A, is either the individual or, if the money was withdrawn for Business Y for operating cash or whatever, Business Y.

Section B is either the individual or "conducted on own behalf" depending who is listed in Section A.

Return to Top
#1501145 - 01/27/11 04:30 PM Re: Blizzards and CTR's Elwood P. Dowd
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I thought as much. Thanks for the advice.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z